listing to starboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sebestien

Vessel Make
Chris Craft Amerosport 320
Looking at buying a1987 Amerosport 320. Notice the boat listed to starboard during the sea trials. There was some talk about the fuel tank equalizer not operating properly. Also noticed on the photo of another Amerosport 320 that the boat was also listing to starboard. Does anyone know about this?

Best

Geoff

Welcome aboard. Don’t know about the listing issue but Chris went through some quality control issues in the mid 80s but I believe they were mostly in the smaller boats. Good luck with it hope it works out for you.

Listing while sitting or listing under power?

Single screw or twins?

Single screw under power, the torque on the prop shaft will introduce some list.

I don’t think that the Amerosport came in a single, but could be wrong.

Fuel (or water) tank) "equalizer" or crossover can exacerbate a list condition by always allowing fuel to flow from the higher side to the lower side. Close the crossover, fill both tanks to same level, then check if you really have a list at cruising load. If you really do, ballast it away or just draw from the high side tank/s first.

Our boat had a problem listing to port, couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Turns out it was a bad check valve on the port water tank line to the house supply. Whenever we were on shore water, the blown-out check valve would allow city water to back-fill the port tank all the way to the top of the filler neck, while the starboard water tank was nearly empty. I drained the port tank, replaced the check valve for $10, problem solved (thanks to advice from users on this forum).

I recently sold my 1987 Chris Craft Amerosport 320 after owning her for 20 years. Never encountered a list. Check fuel distribution between the two tanks.

It is pretty easy for a v-bottom boat to take a list if the tanks aren't balanced. Even if they are having something heavy installed on one side that wasn't planned for it will cause this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom