Old 11-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I will also give some advice, feel free to ignore it. We have been boating together, my wife and I, for about 54 years. We are on our 24th boat now, maybe our last, actually probably out last. Make a list of wants and don’t wants. Do take the advice of looking at as many boats as possible since you will learn something even on a boat you don’t like. Revise the list periodically in agreement with your wife's desires. It may turn out that you end up liking the Connies the best. Ok, then proceed with a thinking mind not just the heart. Look at each boat as dispassionately as you can. Get the best surveyor that you can, not the brokers surveyor unless you want a rose colored survey.

Talk to an insurance broker asap. I like Pau Hana here on TF. 206-350-5051 Peter at Novamar insurance did a wonderful job for me. You need to find out what you will need to do as far as experience so you can obtain insurance. Also if the boats you like are insurable or not. Lots of older boats are getting difficult to insure.

Then if you are going to finance the boat you need to find out what the lenders criteria is in order to obtain a loan. Some have age requirements. Things like liveaboard can be a negative.

Then you need to start getting some boating knowledge. I am saying this assuming you don’t have much experience. If you do then ignore this. Take some online classes or even better some local classroom in person classes. The CG Auxiliary may have classes in your area.

Then, have fun looking and good luck.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:47 PM   #42
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Well, you would get part of the Great Loop done on the way home. It is amazing the difference between a saltwater boat and a freshwater boat.
There can be a huge difference between an upper Midwest boat and, say, a Florida boat. Boats in the upper midwest are often stored in a barn during the winter, sometimes a heated barn. They get half the use, little exposure to elements, and they can be time capsules in that they have not had DIY butcher " upgrades."

Not so much corrosion but just reduced wear and tear and UV degradation.

Regardless, good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:22 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

My 24 year old Formula looks almost brand new since it is a freshwater Great Lakes boat. There was some wear and tear but very little rust or corrosion. The gel coat still shines very well. We did reupholster the seats because they had some wear and stains on them. But overall the boat is in excellent condition for 24 years old. No way a boat from Florida or the Gulf Coast region would look like mine after 24 years.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:31 PM   #44
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Northern salt water boats can be a good pick too. My boat spent 33 years in salt on Long Island Sound before coming to the Great Lakes. Looking at bronze parts in the engine room and the aluminum windshield frames, you can tell. There's far more corrosion on some of that stuff than you'd see on a fresh water boat, but none of it is more than cosmetic. It certainly doesn't fit the image many people up here have of salt water boats. Gelcoat is still shiny, etc. But it was covered and stopped every winter, so much less wear and UV damage than a southern boat.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:37 PM   #45
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Fully agree with the fresh vs salt condition vessels. The MAIN reason I suggested a road trip to Florida was to actually go aboard as many boats as possible in as short a time frame as possible. Mr. 72 and his missus have to see a much larger number of vessels in person. Watching videos is all well and good but it is akin to learning how to drive a car by reading the Road and Track. Hands on is best for an informed and pragmatic decision IMO.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:54 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Mission, TX
Thanks, RT. This sort of advice is exactly why I am here, and I agree with every word of it. I am nowhere near pulling the trigger on this, I am about to enter the hell known as Tax Season until the end of April, then I will carry on with the search, including seeing many more boats in person. Buyer's remorse is my cross to bear, so I don't make frivolous purchases easily.

Mike.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I never ignore advice from people with more experience than I have. I have already learned more on this forum from you Gentlemen in the past 2 days than the last 10 weeks that I have been doing research on my own. I am in no rush to make a rash purchase, next year probably, if we can find the right boat and insurance, and figure out the logistics.

I appreciate all the help so far, Mike.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:35 PM   #48
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
They are all holes in the water you poor $100 bills into.

If your wife is sold on it, then buy it.

My wife loves our new boat. You can guess what I did.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:26 AM   #49
Guru

City: Stockton
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1979 Island Gypsy 44 Flush Aft Deck
I wish it was just hundred dollar bills...
Delta Riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:04 AM   #50
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tpiK5 View Post
I believe it. I am hoping to avoid doing this multiple times, the advice I got was to buy my last big boat first. I have been enjoying a 45' Motorcoach for the past couple of years, I can't say it is on par with the complexity and maintenance of a boat, but it has to be in the ballpark.

Not really the same ballpark. Two engines, 4-5 ACs, exposed props, boat sinks if you screw up, etc. And pavement doesn't move, whereas wind, tide, and current remove the whole idea of "firmament" as you're trying to park (dock).

Good luck with that "last first" thing; it's really difficult.

Since folks have morphed into advice mode, I'll add a thought that has helped us: when you're looking at (on) a boat to evaluate whether it's for you or not... imagine yourself actually doing each/all of the various tasks and chores that come with boating life.

In the house, don't just look at the shower... instead, imagine yourself taking a shower. Is there room to turn, bend, etc? Don't just look at the galley, imagine yourselves making breakfast or dinner. Enough storage? Cooktop or whatever easily accessible? Don't just look at the bed, imagine climbing out of the rack for a midnite trip to the head. Et cetera.

On deck, imagine yourself docking. Who stands where to do what? Can you see all round the boat from the helm? How do you communicate with each other? Can you reach cleats on the dock from onboard the boat? What if there's no dock hand -- or even worse (and not uncommon) an incompetent dock hand? Et cetera.

In the engine room, imagine yourself changing a raw water pump impeller. Imagine yourself changing the oil and filters. Imagine yourself changing the fuel and filters. Et cetera.

We had really good luck with buying our first big boat, and we've been able to build on that... but our first wasn't our last, and each boat since then has become an informed improvement over what we had before. Some of that of course being because our needs/wants morphed gradually over time.

I hope this is helpful. And good luck with your search!

-Chris
Old 11-20-2022, 10:13 AM   #51
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Imagine an RV tilted at a 30deg on one side and then the other. Imagine it being able to survive being dropped 6' off the front of a wave over and over. This sounds like a fun new game! imagine...

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #52
Veteran Member

I appreciate all of the advice so far, If anyone has more to offer, don't hold back, I'm all ears.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:19 PM   #53

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
Our boat will be in Jacksonville, FL till about April 1. If you've not been on one yet we'd be happy to let you crawl all over our 460. We plan to visit her at least monthly between now and April. It's an easy drive for us but looks like halfway across the country for you!
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #54
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Don't do it. Save your money and let someone else spend it after you're dead.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Our boat will be in Jacksonville, FL till about April 1. If you've not been on one yet we'd be happy to let you crawl all over our 460. We plan to visit her at least monthly between now and April. It's an easy drive for us but looks like halfway across the country for you!
Thank you very much for the offer. Unfortunately, I will be in Tax Season Prison until late in April.

Regards, Mike.
Old 11-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieO. View Post
Don't do it. Save your money and let someone else spend it after you're dead.
I guess that is an option. How much are my kids paying you?

Regards, Mike.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:34 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There can be a huge difference between an upper Midwest boat and, say, a Florida boat. Boats in the upper midwest are often stored in a barn during the winter, sometimes a heated barn. They get half the use, little exposure to elements, and they can be time capsules in that they have not had DIY butcher " upgrades."

Not so much corrosion but just reduced wear and tear and UV degradation.

Regardless, good luck.

Peter
Thanks to all who weighed in on the difference between fresh/seasonal and saltwater boats. I was only focusing on logistics and really hadn't considered the difference.

Mike.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:38 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72tpiK5 View Post
Thanks to all who weighed in on the difference between fresh/seasonal and saltwater boats. I was only focusing on logistics and really hadn't considered the difference.

Mike.
As you look at more and more boats and include some freshwater boats the difference will become apparent. It makes the logistical problems seem much less important if you are going to keep the boat long term. For a long term boat you want to start off with the best boat condition possible.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:01 PM   #59

City: Lake Stevens
I'm pretty new in this game; we've owned our 34 ft trawler for a little over a year. I won't pretend to be an expert of any sort. However, here's something that struck me as we spent more and more time on our boat. It might apply to you, might not.

I found I tended to "fall in love" with the exterior of boats. (Truth be told, I still do.) Makes sense -- it's mostly what us non-owners see. Once you own the boat though, you'll see way, way more of the interior than the exterior.

Example: Our original dream was for a sailboat. Like you, we spent months on YouTube gazing gooey eyed at sloops, ketches, catamarans, etc. Then we finally started shopping for one. I'm 6'2" and after about three boats worth of standing stooped over in the low ceiling cabins of sailboats in our price range my back hurt! Our trawler, on the other hand, offers about a half-foot of headroom even for me.

It's one thing to be bewitched by the cool styling of a Chris Craft and quite altogether another to spend a week living in one. RT's advice to get inside as many boats as you can is some of the best in this thread.
trainermb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
As you look at more and more boats and include some freshwater boats the difference will become apparent. It makes the logistical problems seem much less important if you are going to keep the boat long term. For a long term boat you want to start off with the best boat condition possible.
Will do, makes perfect sense. Thanks for all of your help.

Mike.

PS. Peter Ricks says hello.