1986 Constellation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pantalone

I just purchased a 1986 460 Constellation. Does anyone know where the fresh water tank is located on the boat. I have searched all over and can’t locate the tank. I know where the fill port is , and have looked on that side of the boat, but the must have hidden the tank somewhere. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Also I cannot find it in any manual. Thx,

Can you get into the area where the fill port is and see the hose? If so, follow it and see where it leads.

Stick a hose in the fill port and listen for the splash. Or, conversely, shut off your water pump and introduce an air hose into an open faucet and listen for the air bubbles.

pete

Did you check under the bed?

I did not check under the bed because it looks like the main fuel tanks are there. However; they might have fuel tanks and water tank next to each other, so I should check there.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will try everything mentioned this weekend. I have found everything except the fresh water tank. It’s like an Easter egg hunt down there.

I did not check under the bed because it looks like the main fuel tanks are there. However; they might have fuel tanks and water tank next to each other, so I should check there.

As a thought, my 86 Catalina 381 has fuel tanks under the aft bunk. The water tank is along the centerline under the fuel tanks and extending under the cabin sole forward of the bunk.

I have the same boat. The one design flaw of these Connies is that the water tank is in the aft bilge under the fuel tanks. They only made 29 of the 460's before going all in on the 500's. On both boats the water tanks were prone to corrosion and leaked. Most have been replaced somehow. Ours has a smaller 90 gallon poly tank under the couch in the office.

You should be able to get a bit of access through the hatch under the desk in the office where the sump for the master a/c unit lives. Another spot where you can touch the tank, but that's about it, is under the bottom step where the shower sump is...just reach down and toward mid-ship and you can feel the tank....not much use.

I imagine the only way to replace the tank as original would be to lift the bed and pull the 2 fuel tanks...I'll just live with a smaller tank!

Yup, sounds like the placement is the same as my boat then. In that case, I'll agree, the only way to get that tank out likely involves lifting the fuel tanks out of place.

Depending on what access you can get and what shape the tank is in (if leaking), it might be possible to clean out the tank and seal / coat the inside to make it usable again without removing it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom