Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
More ER space needed

I have a 1976 Gulfstar with the fiberglass fuel tank. I need space to mount a large house battery bank. I was thinking about glassing a thick sheet of marine plywood painted with bilge coat gray to the top of the tank towards the front of the boat. Then using 5200 and short screw that would not penetrate the fuel tank. Has anyone done something similar? If you have done something different or similar please tell me what you have done. I will be mounting one double 8D battery enclosure made by AC DC Inc. They have some unique good marine products. I just purchased their 2 bilge pump switch assembly that includes a counter to see if there is an increase in bilge pump operations over a time period indicating a potential problem.
Thanks for any input on mounting the house battery bank.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Maybe examine the possibility of using AGMs and installing in unorthodox mounting orientations?

I'm also considering multiple 6V AGMs when we eventually need to replace one bank... 'cause I can't deal with the weight of 8Ds.

-Chris
Old 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Guru

I am using AGM batteries the DEKA Unigy1 series 105AH 12VDC version. I want the weight to be in the center of the vessel. 4 of these batteries are the similar to 2 8D batteries. Hence the reason I bought the AC DC Inc 2 8D battery box. I have 8 of these batteries they are new.
Since I will initially start out with 200 watts of 24-28VDC solar and an AIR-X 24-28 wind generator into smart controllers to charge a 12-14VDC house bank. I figure I might be able to use a small 420AH house bank. However I'm prepared to go as high a 840AH's if needed.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Guru

So a typical 8D box holds two Group 31s? Or the AC DC box holds two 8Ds or four Group 31s?

-Chris
Old 05-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Bigger boat, Bill- bigger boat

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Guru

Chris the Deka Unigy1 105AH cells are narrower compared to a group 31. The AC DC dual 8D box dimensions are the same as 2 8Ds side by side.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Bigger boat, Bill- bigger boat
I'm downsizing.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Guru

Chris I can't answer your question I haven't tried to install any group 31's in this new battery enclosure. All my 31 series batteries in my Mainship 40SB are all in individual battery boxes sized for group 31 batteries. Since I'm using DEKA Unigy1 105AH 12VDC cells they are narrower then a 31 series battery.
Bill
Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
Guru

Chris here's the DEKA spec for the house batteries I have. Mine are the gray top flame retardant version.

http://www.apeximg.com/spec/31HR4000S.pdf

Deka/Unigy 31HR4000S UPS Battery (12V, 105AH)
Old 05-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #10
Guru

Thanks. Given the 105 Ah, I just assumed Group 31s. Useful to know yours are narrower...

I've been eyeballing the space where my starboard bank lives -- 3x Group 31s -- in peaceful coexistence with my genset battery (1x Group 34), and 4x 6V deep cycles will fit there without displacing the genset battery. That would increase that bank from 300 Ah to about 450 Ah... and maybe more if I have enough clearance to use the slightly taller 6Vs.

I also confirmed that new 6V bank would still supply enough CCAs to start that engine...

Don't actually need to do anything until that bank goes south, but we're starting our 9th season on 'em... so I've been shopping for battery boxes, too

-Chris
Old 05-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Guru

Chris, I found AC DC Inc on EBay but I believe they have a website. They have all kinds of unique marine products.
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Thanks. Given the 105 Ah, I just assumed Group 31s. Useful to know yours are narrower...

I've been eyeballing the space where my starboard bank lives -- 3x Group 31s -- in peaceful coexistence with my genset battery (1x Group 34), and 4x 6V deep cycles will fit there without displacing the genset battery. That would increase that bank from 300 Ah to about 450 Ah... and maybe more if I have enough clearance to use the slightly taller 6Vs.

I also confirmed that new 6V bank would still supply enough CCAs to start that engine...

Don't actually need to do anything until that bank goes south, but we're starting our 9th season on 'em... so I've been shopping for battery boxes, too

-Chris
To further complicate this DEKA calls these 31 hour batteries in some of their marketing....
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 09:04 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
That's a strange looking battery Bill with odd ball terminals for use as a UPS battery replacement. What made you go with those? They are about the same price as the tried and true Sears Platinum marine AGM made by Odyssey with similar specs.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
That's a strange looking battery Bill with odd ball terminals for use as a UPS battery replacement. What made you go with those? They are about the same price as the tried and true Sears Platinum marine AGM made by Odyssey with similar specs.
I got 8 brand new ones for FREE George, so the price was right. Also if I remove the top caps it has a larger conductive surface with a large headed machined hold down nuts on the + and - terminals. These are used in Alcatel Lucent NV MMBTS battery back up systems.
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
Guru

Free is good! So what type of terminal do you use?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Free is good! So what type of terminal do you use?
I will be using Anchor 3/8ths single hole lugs using #2/0 tinned stranded wire. My inverter will be less than 6' round trip. The inverter is a 2000 watt pure sine wave ProMariner that also has a 70 amp smart charger. The DC house primary panel (<60 amps) is within 8 feet round trip and a high current (<60 amp) sub panel will be 20 feet round trip.
Bill
Old 05-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #17
Guru

I got thrown off because the specs and pics indicated a female terminal on the battery; so you thread a stud in there?

Old 05-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
I got thrown off because the specs and pics indicated a female terminal on the battery; so you thread a stud in there?
Yes there is are female threads on the top of the battery under a safety ABS cap it has a knurled fitting about .7" in diameter with an Allen key used to remove or tighten it. These hold L backets that can be removed that have 1/4" threaded posts on the front side of the battery. The 1/4" threaded posts would only be good for a medium/ low current ( like my Balmar Battery Smartmeter) connections these studs come with black and red protection caps.
It's a bit difficult to describe.
Bill
Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Chris, I found AC DC Inc on EBay but I believe they have a website. They have all kinds of unique marine products.
Bill

Thanks, I'll check that out.

-Chris
Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #20

City: Palm Springs CA
Vessel Name: On The Rocks
Vessel Model: Gulf Star MKII
I'm in the process of turning the aft bench of the dinette on my 36MKII into a battery box. I took the top off and made a hinged lid that seals with a gasket and vented the area through the bulkhead into the ER. Am now glassing the inside of the bench. I can get 6 or 8 golf cart batteries plus switches and busbars in the space.
On The Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote