Lost steering on my upper helm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yamabuki

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
interlude
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 43 mk11
Haven't got into it yet but have lost steering on the upper helm, lower works fine. The wheel just turns and it does have a key in place. Any advice is welcome before I start to explore. Btw the boat is a mk2 43'.

When my boat was recommissioned after being disassembled for shipment across the country we took it for a sea trial and had the same experience--no upper helm steering.

Turned out when they had put the hydraulic steering system back together they hadn't gotten the fluid reservoir filled. There was still air in the system and that kept the upper helm from working.

We bled the hydraulic steering system, filled it, bled it and it worked fine.

No upper helm steering

GFC is right.

The # 1 suspect is low steering fluid. :eek:

Get some of the proper, correct for your system, fluid for your system & top off the upper reservoir & bleed the system & you will be back in full operation soon. :)

HOWEVER, the next question, where did the other fluid go ?
How long ago since you even checked the fluid level ? Just last month or last year ? or longer ? -- that will give you an indication of the size of your leak. :nonono:

I don't know if you did any work on anything recently that may have affected this, like maybe knocked loose a fitting, bent & cracked a hose, steering ram seals worn, etc. Or not, -- but something is causing the fluid to get low, which is usually a leak, as the steering fluid does not evaporate like water does. :facepalm:

You may have a small leak, so close inspection of the whole system is now required. So after topping off & such, that is the next step. -- back to work.

Good luck.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

When my boat sits for weeks....usually months....my upper helm will get sluggish. I can tell early on as the autopilot has to work harder or becomes ineffective.

I rarely drive from up there which I think is my problem.

As long as I have fluid and pressure in my reservoir.... I can alternate turn on the upper helm to regain steering.

It may take upwards of 100 turns in one direction....then the other...as it slowly gains pressure. It can wear out your arm...but it will come back.

I have never seen any fluid leaks...but after a year or two I do lose a pint or so.

Even the manual describes after opening the system, having to turn the wheel hundreds of times back and forth.

I think there are easier ways...just havent given it much thought lately.

Thanks guys but I'm not sure what system there is on the upper helm yet as haven't had time to look.

Back
Top Bottom