Help...fresh water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joew2604

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Peterpan 111
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I have lived aboard my 36 ft 1975 Gulfstar trawler for more than ten years. The hull number is 362180775. I have a bad fresh water leak Can anyone tell me where to start. Is it a plastic tank ? Where is it ? How do I get to it ? It could be under the galley floor but the floor is covered in tile. For now I'm going to tie in a shore supply till I figure something out. Any help would be appreciated.

I have lived aboard my 36 ft 1975 Gulfstar trawler for more than ten years. The hull number is 362180775. I have a bad fresh water leak Can anyone tell me where to start.

Start with the filler cap(s) for fresh water. Follow the hose(s).

I believe the freshwater tank is fiberglass and not Poly/ plastic am I wrong?
Thanks,
Bill

Same problem different boat with aluminium tank. Pretty major project involving cutting the floor out in the hallway and guest berth, cutting the tank in two so it can be removed. Then installing 2 new tanks and plumbing, then rebuild sub floors and pick out a new floor covering. I feel your pain, it hurts the most in the wallet. Good luck

Joe, are you sure the leak is in the tank? Not in the various plumbing, hoses, taps, pumps, etc.?

-Chris

Water tank

Thanks for your response. About to crawl below today and check out all the hoses. Hopefully find the problem and repair

The water tank should be under the galley deck. The water tank is forward, and the fuel tank is aft of the hatch. On my 73, the access hatch is inboard of the support leg for the dinette, which is on the starboard side. The galley is to port. I know some models have the galley to starboard, or do away with the dinette and have an enclosed head there. I have to believe the tanks are the same for all models. In the second picture, the large white hose is the water fill, the small dark hose goes to the pump, and the small while hose is the pressure line to the boat. My water pump is located under the forward dinette seat, outboard of the drawer. Access requires lifting the cushion and removing a panel. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 122
On a Gulfstar I would be really surprised if it were the water tank. Mine is 100 gallons built as part of the hull constructed of fiberglass.
Bill

Water tank problem solved!

Thanks everyone for their help. I guess I was lucky. Went below and moved a few things. Found that the hose from FW pump to water heater had come off. Repaired it and all OK now. Glad I didn't have to face the water tank problem.:)

That's great news JoeW. I doubted that you had a tank issue being most of the Gulfstar's of this era use FRP water and fuel tanks. There's really nothing to corrode.
Bill

On our 38 MC, two water tanks are in the engine compartment.
One on each side.
Both tanks are fiberglass, one had a leak half way. Epoxied it, no more leak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom