Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #1

City: Key West
Gulfstar 36 keel specs

Hello how is everyone.

We just recently bought a 36-foot motor sail, it has one John Deere engine that is blown up but because I am a diesel dude that is no issue.

The issue remains the keel, it looked like he had been replaced before with carbon fiber on the bottom somebody tried to make a hole repair through the whole keel well it was crushed in the front in about a 2-foot spot.

We drilled a hole in it to drain the water and everything and we did not hit a keel at all inside.

I am looking for somebody who might know what my keel weight would be where it is supposed to be and if it is lead in concrete or what on the inside right now there is absolutely nothing.

Any and all help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
MrDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDiesel View Post
Hello how is everyone.

We just recently bought a 36-foot motor sail, it has one John Deere engine that is blown up but because I am a diesel dude that is no issue.

The issue remains the keel, it looked like he had been replaced before with carbon fiber on the bottom somebody tried to make a hole repair through the whole keel well it was crushed in the front in about a 2-foot spot.

We drilled a hole in it to drain the water and everything and we did not hit a keel at all inside.

I am looking for somebody who might know what my keel weight would be where it is supposed to be and if it is lead in concrete or what on the inside right now there is absolutely nothing.

Any and all help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
I've been involved with three damage claims on Gulfstar keels. All three due to improper blocking. Each keel had hollow, quite thin laminate on the bottom, significantly thicker sides and very wide keels which were set on blocks which were narrower than the keel itself. The blocks punctured the keels. In once case the block went through the keel and the FRP fuel tank in the keel. I saw no ballast although there may have been some further aft.

My recommendation after repair was that a minumum of four blocks be used and that each block be several inches wider than the keel.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

City: Key West
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I've been involved with three damage claims on Gulfstar keels. All three due to improper blocking. Each keel had hollow, quite thin laminate on the bottom, significantly thicker sides and very wide keels which were set on blocks which were narrower than the keel itself. The blocks punctured the keels. In once case the block went through the keel and the FRP fuel tank in the keel. I saw no ballast although there may have been some further aft.

My recommendation after repair was that a minumum of four blocks be used and that each block be several inches wider than the keel.
Interesting.....

Idid drill holes for their own back and I ran into lead right before the prop I do not know how far forward it goes but apparently this thing was sitting right in the water or anyways.

Would still like to know if I need to lead in concrete the keel but I need a specific weight or some kind of spec to know if it's even necessary if that's the case that it's hollow up front.

They gouged a hole in the side and I can see that the sides are very thick and still Hollow mid-ship and fore.
MrDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote