Ever seen a 55 foot Gulfstar ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
I think the deal is the 55 came out in 1989, which was about when Viking bought Gulfstar, so all the 55's may be badged as Vikings. And yet most Gulfstar related literature mentions "up to 55 feet" and yet I have never seen one that size with Gulfstar nameplate.

I mention this mostly because my boat is also a Lazarra design, very similar to the 55.

we have a 49 and a 53 at our Marina but I think they are both 1987 and 88

we have a 49 and a 53 at our Marina but I think they are both 1987 and 88
Yeah the 49 is pretty common...we considered buying one of those and looked at several. Have not seen a G53.

looked on Yachtworld to find a picture the only ones I saw of the 53s are about 10 years older then the one at our marina

Powerboat guide has one listed as a Gulfstar 55 - http://www.powerboatguide.com/ewExternalFiles/Gulfstar%2055%20Motor%20Yacht.pdf

Wikipedia says that the 55 was marketed as a Viking 55 motoryacht, 1987-90 35 hulls
yes they were vikings i delivered some of them up to viking in new jersey, they also build the 44motor yacht and the 63 motor yacht, and a few 72s.viking took over the gulfstar plant back then. when the crunch came in 89 with the tax deal they closed it up and started builing them in the NJ plant

yes they were vikings i delivered some of them up to viking in new jersey, they also build the 44motor yacht and the 63 motor yacht, and a few 72s.viking took over the gulfstar plant back then. when the crunch came in 89 with the tax deal they closed it up and started builing them in the NJ plant
So when one sees somewhere in print (like here !) that Gulfstar built up to 55 footers, technically that is not correct is it ?

I guess it is correct in the sense that Gulfstar designed the 55 and probably built the first few at their plant in FL but none of them were actually badged "Gulfstar" but were apparently all Vikings.

As an aside, one interesting tidbit is Lazarra later designed a 50 footer that had nearly as much living space as the 55 as the lower helm on the 50 was a small station on starboard side rather than a whole separate room as on the 55.

Also interesting is that the 55 appears larger inside than my Viking 65 CP MY as the 65 has larger engines thus limiting the master stateroom size some, and a day head in the salon. Plus the cockpit aspect of my 65 (I say "my" as they did make a standard MY version as well) Before 1992 there was a 63 MY and also a 63 CP MY....which was the 55 with a cockpit. I think they only made 2 or 3 of that one.... one of which is at a downtown marina in Ft. Myers, FL. The 63 MY, OTOH, is relatively common...have seen many of those.

My information tells me there where 35 hulls built between 1987 - 1990.

I have a 1976 Gulfstar 53 on the Connecticut river.

Back
Top Bottom