Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

City: Ellenton, Florida
1976 Gulfstart Custom 53/60 in St. Petersburg, Florida

Hello,

We are back in the market for a boat after being without one for a couple of years, yes I know you would think after 4 boats we'd have learned our lessons but we are slow learners. lol I'd like to tap into the vast knowledge you all have about Gulfstar Trawlers if you'd permit, I have to admit to a lack of experience with them. All though I have been researching them on line.

We plan to look a 1976 Gulfstar Custom 53/60 MKII in St. Petersburg, Florida.

1976 Gulfstar Custom 53/60 MKII Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com listing#.Wp_i-UxFzIU

I'd love to know what are some of the common problems with the MKIIs, areas of concerns, and any other things you might want to suggest.

Thanks in advance.

Byron Schaeffer
byresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #2

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Geez, two beautiful classics in one night....:
(Car-dude's infatuation on another thread being the other this evening)...

I have no personal knowledge of Gulfstars, but will be interested in reading your trip report upon seeing her in person. Whats your planned use of this beauty?

Good luck with your search.
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We almost bought a 44MC but it was just too heavy for our local boatyard to haul. Otherwise we would have bought it. Not much wrong with the one listed in looking at the listing. Only thing I don’t like is the single helm seat and it doesn’t look like there is room to add a second one. Someone has put a boat load of money into this one.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I would have the port propeller checked... And if the port is bent well check starboard too and the shafts.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I would sea-trial it and see how the enclosed pilothouse changed the motion. It might be in a positive and not a negative manner, but you might want to know in advance. Turn off the stabilizers and see if you can find a beam sea. A 15' beam is not bad, so it will probably be just fine, but you don't want to find out when the stabilizers overheat and shut down 1/2 way there....
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:42 PM   #6

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I would have the port propeller checked... And if the port is bent well check starboard too and the shafts.

L
I also noticed what appears a bend on the edge of one of the port blades. Would wonder about the extent of that.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I would sea-trial it and see how the enclosed pilothouse changed the motion. It might be in a positive and not a negative manner, but you might want to know in advance. Turn off the stabilizers and see if you can find a beam sea. A 15' beam is not bad, so it will probably be just fine, but you don't want to find out when the stabilizers overheat and shut down 1/2 way there....

I wondered about that too. Certainly the upper house pushed the CG up higher. But the hull was originally designed as a center cockpit ketch with a single engine so I would think lack of masts and sails as well as an extra engine down below would alleviate that.

I find the beam a little narrow. My boat at 52’ has a 16’ beam. Mind you, the stabilizers on the Gulfstar appear massive.

And who paints over a bent prop? That just ain’t right. Look for other ignored projects.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:20 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. b. Welcome aboard. WOW! She sure shows well for a 42 year old boat and as Mr. C said "Someone has put a boat load of money into this one."

BUT...A few observations and keep in mind these are MY opinions ONLY please...

Mr. Mc. Raises a very valid point in: "And who paints over a bent prop? That just ain’t right. Look for other ignored projects." Along these same lines, the first place I looked at was the ER.

While on the surface the equipment appears to be in "good shape", evidence of rattle can over spray on some of the hoses and sloppy application of the white paint may suggest otherwise. All of the water inlets and outlets are ball valves and are NOT attached to proper thru-hull fittings (proper thru-hulls have flanges attached and are through bolted to the hull). As well, some of these ball valves and associated connecting fittings show evidence of verdigris (that green corrosion) that has partially been cleaned off. (The ad mentioned the thru hulls had been recently serviced. Is cleaning the verdigris off considered servicing or were they disassembled and serviced?-NO evidence of THAT)

The wiring and hosing is a "dog's breakfast" IMO and it doesn't appear that anything has been done to it for a long time. Hardly "restored" as advertised.

I would suggest service records be examined in detail which may give you a good indication of what actually IS under that fresh paint AND exactly what $$ might be necessary to perform any deferred maintenance.

As mentioned, the hard FB enclosure may cause stability issues (perhaps that is why the stabilizers were added?) and if not air conditioned, will be a hot house in the FL summers.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #9

City: Ellenton, Florida
Thanks everyone, I am making notes of your observations and will check on them. However; there is a major snafu. They took the boat to Key West over the holidays and apparently while docking it ripped off the bow pulpit and did a lot of other damage. They are still negotiating with the insurance company before they can even start repairs. I do not think I will be seeing her for quite some time.
byresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

City: Ellijay
RT, one question from a newby to the forum, but too old to be called that:

Overspray on a hose? Is this indicative to a sloppy corrosion preventative program or possibly a “Krylon overhaul”.

I have seen this in several boats I’m looking at.
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote