Old 04-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
1973 MK1 36 tachometer and gauges

My upper station the tachometers works fine, but in lower station both do not work. For some time, I am trying to find the problem. I do not know if the gauges are bad or lost signal somewhere. I do not know if the signal should be from alternator or mechanical pick-up. Any one have the old Lehman engines. The other question that I have - does different manufactures gauges affect signal reading. Previous owner replaced the upper station gauges. I do believe that he got them from GoMarine - they have no name. The lower station have Teleflex gauges( water and oil). Could that be a problem?. I have to replace the water temp and oil gauges as the old and crumble. Thanks.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #2

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Dawg Haus
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Trawler
Gauges

I have the exact same boat as you, and a lot of my gauges appear to be original, and they are Faria. I have purchased a whole new set of gauges for my upper help, but have not installed them yet.
DawgHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #3

Previous owner replaced all upper station gauges. I ordered 2 oil and 2 water temp gauges fro go2marine for $102 for all. The rpm gauges are bad too, but they work in upper station - really do not need them. Listen to the engines. Get them out and replace it is a nightmare. I did replaced both ignition switch. It is electrical nightmare. Do you know where I can find wiring schematic for this boat?. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Dawg Haus
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 Trawler
electrical

I can email what I have if you want
DawgHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #5

Sorry that I did not respond early. Yes, I would like you email to me at januszstarkel@gmail.com. Thanks. My gauges are coming on 16th.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #6

The saga continue. I replace both oil and temp gauges in lower station - electrical nightmare. I do not want to do it again. Gauges work, but have the some problem. After 1min the starboard temp gauge quit - top and bottom. It could be sender unit. Will have to check this out. Never ending story with a boat - I am not getting a brake. I order from Go2Marine. They mess up the order and send me 3 temp and 1 oil. Today I got the oil. Take a week for UPS. Give plus to Go2Marine - they send me oil gauge for free.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgHaus View Post
I have the exact same boat as you, and a lot of my gauges appear to be original, and they are Faria. I have purchased a whole new set of gauges for my upper help, but have not installed them yet.

Do you know where is the bilge pump located. The one that you switch from dashboard?. I have this boat for over 2 years and still can not find it. I can hear whining noise when I flip the switch, but can not find it. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
This is exactly the reason I went went digital and got rid of the analog gauges.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #9

All my gauges are working fine now. It took some time. Even the RPM works. I do not know what I did but works fine. Now, for the next project. The saga continue.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

City: Kiln,MS
Generally speaking. Whenever I replace analog gauges I try to replace them as a set. Gauge,sender. Most of the failures I see are sender's (VDO) going bad. I would go over your grounds on the engine if you're run into more problems. I good meter that you can check resistance with would help determine what wires are having connection issues. Also don't be afraid to cut the terminal off the end strip it back a little to see if it has any corrosion in the jacket.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #11

City: New Port Richey
Vessel Name: Audrey
Vessel Model: Gulf Star 36', 1976
Hi,
Really late to this post but do you still have schema for the 36’ Gulfstar??? I would love them! Thanks
Dragonflycoffees@yahoo.com
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote