Zero Zip Nada from the Inside Passage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nevada Mike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kraken
Vessel Make
Hewescraft
Thanks for the great forum!

My wife and I have a 10 year plan to obtain our first trawler. Other than a plan and lurking here our trawler experience is exactly zero!

We have a Cabin on the Inside Passage in a town called Coffman Cove and spend a good deal of our summers there. Our experience is limited to 22' Hewescraft fishing variety. While we get to operate the boat in some tough waters its hardly enough to move to the next level.

Its time to attend classes, attend trawler fest, and obtain some real world experience.

Mike

Hi Mike,
We just moved from Thorne Bay where we have lived for the last 7 years.
We live in Concrete WA now.
We hear a lot more chain saws and see a lot more logging trucks here than we ever did in Thorne Bay.
Just wanted to say hello.

1st pic Thorne bay house.
2nd pic Concrete house.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 548 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 548 copy 2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF0684 copy 3.jpg
    DSCF0684 copy 3.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
manyboats,

I have seen your Thorne bay house many times. We live in Nevada and I end up in TB at the float plane dock picking up friends and family more times than I care to think about.

Eric, where do you keep your boat?

Mike,
Kinda thought you'd seen it.

Bligh,
Right now it's at Latitude Marine in LaConner. First boat on the right as you come in. Blocked up high enough to extract the rudder. After launching (when ??) we will be in covered at the city floats. I'm curious why your curious. NOT being nosy though.

I looked up concrete, WA on google maps to see where it was. i saws that it was inland from the sound. I wondered if you kept it on the skagit somewhere of if you had it in a marina. I wasnt trying to be nosey, just curious. :)

Sorry Captn Bligh I missed your post above.
Willy is at Latitude Marine in LaConner WA in the so end of the Swininomish Channel. After being 8 blocks from the boat being 35 miles away is not all good but ther'e are many advantages to our old situation in Alaska. Now I want to begin work on my 50 or so small blisters that need attention every several years and they want me to "tent" the boat before grinding. Ridiculous! In Alaska we'd just grind away. The extremely small amount of dust from grinding wouldn't offend anyone there. Civilization is not so friendly at times. And sometimes this area reminds me of an ant hill. TOO MANY PEOPLE!

Sorry Captn Bligh I missed your post above.
Willy is at Latitude Marine in LaConner WA in the so end of the Swininomish Channel. After being 8 blocks from the boat being 35 miles away is not all good but ther'e are many advantages to our old situation in Alaska. Now I want to begin work on my 50 or so small blisters that need attention every several years and they want me to "tent" the boat before grinding. Ridiculous! In Alaska we'd just grind away. The extremely small amount of dust from grinding wouldn't offend anyone there. Civilization is not so friendly at times. And sometimes this area reminds me of an ant hill. TOO MANY PEOPLE!

I ran into the same problem in NC when I needed to strip the entire hull on my boat. The difference was that boat yards in NC told me I wasn't allowed to work on my boat, but could hire their "experts" to do the job for me. Can we say scam? I did find a place in Oriental NC that let me do my own work, but had to use a drop cloth and hook a vacuum to my sander, so a tent isn’t too bad.:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom