Old 03-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
Yet another newbie

Hello All, I'm a long time lurker on this site and have to say......you all are the greatest! Opinions may vary - but it is all good info. I had earlier joined a "Trawler" group that actually cost $$$ to join and purported to offer "lots" of info. I could not get them to cough up any opinion to my many questions, so I just gave up. Bad investment.

Our very first boat ever, was a 30-ft. sailboat. The PO showed us how to start the single-cyl. Yanmar diesel and hoped we would enjoy ourselves. My wife and I had earlier taken a two-wk. sailing class in a 20-something footer so we kinda knew what to do. But I was hooked and we sailed that thing every chance we could. I spent hours on weekends figuring out its mech. sys. My wife could never get comfortable with "heeling" although she enjoyed steering it. So we sold it and jumped to powerboating. I purchased a 15-ft Bayliner "project" outboard and restored it - it was cheap and so was I.

Over time I have "discovered" the Great Loop and have decided, we need to do that! While she is not fully "on board" to the idea, we have looked at a few "Trawlers" - a Tolly, couple of Uniflites and a Bayliner Bodega. The Uni 42-footer gave us the best "feel" but seemed "too large". I think we may settle for something in the 36-ft. range.

So, hopefully, begins our adventure. Many questions to come.

Dave
NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thank you Mr. RTF, I always enjoy your replies, jests and opinions. Rufus T. is one of my favorite characters.

D.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Welcome to the both of you!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
. I had earlier joined a "Trawler" group that actually cost $$$ to join and purported to offer "lots" of info. I could not get them to cough up any opinion to my many questions, so I just gave up. Bad investment.
Did the same thing with a "Gulfstar User Group" before I found TF. Same thing. $5 to join, no information. Never even a reply to my pathetic little note announcing that I was a new member. At least that is one thing that EVERY new member seems to get on this forum (from RTF at a minimum, but always others also).

Oh . . . and welcome aboard!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. jw et al. Well, I try to welcome everyone who logs on for the first time but there are the odd one's I miss. So to all you "Welcome aboard!!" I've watched newbies come on site, ask questions, get answers and in the process the questions mature, the experience seeps in and over time they are answering questions. I figure we're just a large family (figuratively speaking) who share a common interest so which of you don't greet your brothers or sisters when they enter the room? Heck, I've even met some of you. It's fun and I enjoy participating BUT I think I'm getting much more out than what I put in. What the hell, it's only money...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Welcome aboard NYCHB... haven't done the loop yet, but have burnt some diesel in my 34... IMO, for 2 sailors. something in the 36' range would be fine for the loop.. you can manage without tons of storage, and one driving and one handling lines on a 36 is very manageable... others in larger boats have done the loop - just depends on your comfort needs... and Googling Great Loop blogs got 88 million hits.. plenty of info out there. good luck with your search, and please post photos...
Old 03-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I think Mr. RTF has it right - this forum is like a family. One of those free-range families you wish you belonged to because they were having a LOT of fun.

I have Googled "The Great Loop" many times, and one of the sites I landed on was "Captain John's....". An odd site purportedly selling the "Dream" by detailing the Loop segments and urging you to "go now". Later in the site though he seems to be saying you can only do it economically if you buy a sailboat and remove the mast. Also his descriptions of the lower Miss. and Tenn. Rivers sounded so dreadful I was left wondering how one could actually survive.

But, go we will!

D.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Welcome Mr NYCHAB

Did you ever notice how many folks tend to keep looking for the next bigger boat? Maybe someone should do a poll to see what percent of this sites members would like a slightly bigger boat versus what they have today. I am going to guess the results would be about 75/25 (want bigger) for those under 40 feet now or those under 60 years old now. I am thinking it would be reversed for those over the 40 foot length today or over 60 years old.

So the point of all that is that you appear to be looking at under a 40 footer and you seem to be younger so I think it is a fair bet that you might safely push to the next level or wish you did afterward.

You want unfettered opinion? - no extra charge for it on this site!
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. b. You got it right for me. Over 40 and over 60. Previous vessel/age. Under 40 and under 60.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Sacramento Delta
I'd like to add my welcome, too.
IMG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oops! Probably should have included my age. 71! But, suffering disgustingly good health. No pills, never met my Doctor - yet. Wife is also in extremely good health. Genes, I guess.

Re: age vs. boat size, I think younger equals less $$$$ to spend and less skills and therefore smaller (read more comfortable) boat. As you age, your skills either get better - or not! You also may have more $$$$ too! I know that if we get our boat and really enjoy the adventure, then a larger boat WILL be a priority.

D.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Welcome! Seems like you have plans well laid out!

Something to think about- the boat that feels "too large" now may exponentially smaller once you're underway.....

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin
Welcome aboard! I think you'll fit right in. Bigger isn't always better. Our perfect boat drinks 6, dines 4, sleeps 2. We've cruised our 36' Gulfstar very comfortably so far with just the two of us. We'll be doing the Erie, Rideau, and Richelieu canals this summer, then move aboard permanently next year. A wealth of knowledge in the archives to get you going.

"Keep putting off till tomorrow, and you'll end up with a lot of empty yesterdays" Prof. Harold Hill
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thank you all, and I certainly envy your canal summer!! The Canadian canals are particularly choice, though I have yet to get there.

D.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
... My wife could never get comfortable with "heeling" although she enjoyed steering it. So we sold it and jumped to powerboating. ...
Perla says being in a sailboat is "too close to the water"; however, she likes our trawler. (High railings don't hurt.)

Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #17
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Sorry for the late reply. Welcome aboard!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Welcome aboard, here you find a lot of friends, a lot of crazy people but a lot od ideas and sugestions.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote