Wman2Blame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wman2blame

Vessel Name
WMAN2BLAME
Vessel Make
54' MONROE TRAWLER
I am a new member to this forum and am looking foward in sharing information with fellow boaters.My wife and I live aboard our 54' Monroe Trawler.We are getting ready to depart from Ponce Inlet, Fla. for Key West, Fla.We will be staying there for 5 months, then go to bahamas,then back to Ponce Inlet. I have just installed a 2500 watt solar system with 1000 watt wind generator can't wait to give it the first real test. The boat has 2 detroit 6-71 naturals ,23' beam,village watermaker,175 lb. mantus anchor,mitsubishi mini split a/c and heat system. A real sea going gypsy wagon.

Welcome aboard. Sounds like good times ahead! Hope to hear from you as the travels progress. Especially if you have some interesting adventures to share!

Plus two on what Flywright says above. I'd love to know more about your panels, controller and system. Looks like the entire FB roof is panels, yes? With that kind of wattage, you must plan on running a few devices with minimum Genset time. The Bahamas is a great place for a wind generator too. Tell us more!

Wman2blame

I bought a complete packaged system prewired from wholesale solar a very reputable company,It came with 6 -275 watt panels ,I added 3 more. mounting rails,175 midnite charge controller,800 ah batteries,magnum 4024 inverter/charger,all cables,combiner for solar panel wires, 24 volt system,delivers 120 and 220 volt to breaker panel,2500 watts on panels all bulbs were replaced with LED's .I can run entire boat which has 3 big screen tvs ,full size frig,watermaker,pumps for heads,satellite system,washer/dryer,dishwasher,lights. Was easy to hook everything,Had good instructions and support from wholesale solar,I learned alot about electricity .It's a real interesting hobby for a simple minded person like myself.

This is all very good stuff. If this discussion morphs into one about solar power while underway, I would highly suggest starting another thread in the appropriate section. I am not saying you must...just saying it would serve the community better under it's own specific heading instead of being buried in a welcome mat thread!!!

Nice to see another fat ass on the forum. My rose has a 22' beam and everyone around here calls her wide ass rose. I would like to see some pictures if you have any of the inside. I also have the 6-71's and would like to install some of the same things you have. Can you run the mini splits off of the batteries. The mini's I looked at used 700watts min. to cool. I wanted to pipe solar into a battery bank so I could run two of those mini's to cool at night instead of running genset all night. I can't wait to hear about your journey's, kinda the same route I would like to take soon. Good luck, Paul

Wman2blame

Nice to see such a unique vessel,The mini split system does use approx. 700 watts per hr..with a 800 ah bank which equals 19,000 watt hrs you can only drain batts 50% so equals 9,000 watts ,the unit I have has 1 compressor and 4 units 1in both bedrooms @ 9000 btus and 1 in salon 12,000 btus and 1 in pilothouse 12,000 btus that is what you have to work with at night. I know as a newbie I should be at another forum to do more good . I will post pics if interested.

Back
Top Bottom