Where the he** is little River?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dthomas95

I use "he**" in the Title so as not to offend anyone who objects to the use of the work "heck".

Hi, all! My wife and I (Doug & Mary Jane) have lived aboard our 1984 46' Uniflite for the past 6 years. Although not technically a trawler, I never push the 6-71 Detroits much beyond 1800 RPM (10 knots on still water). Easy on the engines - easy on the speed-time-distance calculations. In 2015, we brought PAX down to Little River, SC from Port Clinton, OH via Lake Erie, Welland Canal, Lake Ontario to Oswego Canal to Erie Canal (aka: NY Barge Canal) to Hudson River to New York to Cape May, NJ (outside), hence N. on Delaware Bay to C&D Canal to Chesapeake Bay to Norfolk, VA to Little River, SC via AICW. Great trip.

PAX was completely overhauled (engines) and renovated stem to stern by the PO in 2011. He was a partnership owner of a Morningstar marina and used PAX to keep his employees working during the winter months in Ohio. She was also his private yacht.

I'm a Life Member and Sr. Navigator in U.S. Power Squadron. My wife will become a Life Member next year. She has the grade of Advance Pilot. We belong to North Strand Sail & Power Squadron.

Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning from y'alls experiences. Boating is a continuous learning experience.

Lots of Little Rivers. I prefer the band. Welcome to the forum!

Ted

Welcome aboard. We really don’t care what type of boat you have, it’s more a state of mind thing, at least to me.

Runs it's length on top of Lookout Mountain SW of Chattanooga - thru Little River Canyon Nat'l preserve (largest canyon East of Ms) then drops 50 ft into Weiss Lake at Yellow Creek falls. Great crappy fishing lake on the Coosa River down stream from Rome,Ga. No trawlers - but my Carolina Skiff 16' is just right.
Work is "heck"!
But I'm retired now. - Welcome!

Little River is in Cutler, Maine. I have the T-shirt.

Oh, yeah. There are probably others. But you did ask.

And, Welcome!!

Welcome! We have an "Old River" in California's Delta. However, it is little.

Looking forward to participating in this forum and learning from y'alls experiences. Boating is a continuous learning experience.

First thing first. Can you explain the proper usage of "y'alls" ?
Being Canadian, I didn't realize there could be a "proper" usage of what I always thought was a local slang term.
Having snowbird winters in the US since my retirement, it is time I learned.

Welcome aboard :thumb:

Where's Little River? Why, that's where Little River Band comes from of course :D

Wifey B: Don't know, but I know the creek at the end of it and you don't want to be up there without a paddle. :eek:

First thing first. Can you explain the proper usage of "y'alls" ?
Being Canadian, I didn't realize there could be a "proper" usage of what I always thought was a local slang term.
Having snowbird winters in the US since my retirement, it is time I learned.

It is one of those mystical southern words. "Ya'll come back", "Ya'll come sit on the porch for a while", "ya'll gotta gotta stay for dinner etc"

Near as a definite definition, it means, 'those currently here".

Sort of like the yankee, "yous guys"
Hope that helps.

....First thing first. Can you explain the proper usage of "y'alls" ?
Being Canadian, I didn't realize there could be a "proper" usage of what I always thought was a local slang term...
It seems to mirror the Australian "youse",the plural form of "you", in some parts of the community.

It seems to mirror the Australian "youse",the plural form of "you", in some parts of the community.

I do like the Canadian "eh?" with the upswing of the voice.
Near as I can figure out, it is a Canadian period.
Yes, I did work in northern Canada.
TEASE

Greetings,

y'all (pron.)by 1879, U.S. dialect abbreviation of you all (see you, and compare yins).
Children learn from the slaves some odd phrases ... as ... will you all do this? for, will one of you do this? ["Arthur Singleton" (Henry C. Knight), "Letters from the South and West," 1824]​
We-all for "us" is attested by 1865; we-uns by 1864. Who-all attested from 1899.

I do like the Canadian "eh?" with the upswing of the voice.
Near as I can figure out, it is a Canadian period.
Yes, I did work in northern Canada.
TEASE

It's more a gesture of inclusiveness, and makes statements less terse or authoritarian.

It's cold outside.
It's cold outside, eh?

See?

Last edited:
You could be multi-cultural and say, "Ya'll come back, ya'hear, eh?"

Welcome to Little River.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom