Well hello there!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No Mast

Guru
Vessel Name
Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Make
Selene 53
After spending the last ten years with sailboats we've chosen to move into a trawler for the same reason many before us made the jump. Of course I'm referring to having a level spot to put down my beer along with a nagging sense that we weren't burning enough fossil fuels while underway.

So we decided to take our time and research what we really wanted, and thanks to both Trawler Fest and a very helpful friend we made a number of trips to look at options and settled on a 2004 Selene 53 in Galveston Bay which has spent the last six years or so mostly sitting at the dock.

After signing more pieces of paper than I could count (and doing some work on the boat of course), we left Galveston and 4½ days later we docked in Key West. A high-pressure system was with us the entire way, flat seas and light winds the entire time. We reluctantly flew home and back to work, while she sat in Key West.

A few weeks later we were back for leg #2: Key West to Palm Beach. We decided to break this one up so we spent nights at both Marathon Key and Miami. She’ll spend the next month or so having some work done at the Rybovich yard in Palm Beach and waiting for us to return after the holidays. Then we will continue onto Savannah and Charleston (more planned work) where she’ll wait out what’s left of winter and then cruise up to NJ for the summer.

Here’s to many more years of polishing fuel and actually arriving at a marina when scheduled.

Harry and Karen

Sounds like a great boat and great experience. Enjoy the slow trip getting it home. It's nice to get a chance on board a few days before you reach Rybovich for the work. Gives you a chance to really shake it down.

Welcome, that is one beautiful boat!

Congratulations on your purchase; welcome to the forum.

Ted

Welcome to Trawler Forum. Great username and congrats on your new beautiful boat. Tell us more about your vessel...engine(s), systems and, of course, pictures.

Is it really possible to actually arrive at your ETA? Seems like an admirable goal but to me, the journey is a huge part of the adventure! If it takes a little longer than planned, so be it. It's a nice 'problem' to have.

Welcome to the Forum . Good looking boat . I guess most all off us had sailboats first . Have fun and send some pics of your boat .

Welcome and please share some pics of your new Selene

Greetings,
Welcome aboard.

tumblr_lnaf7626ld1qafrh6.gif

Here's a few more pics of the exterior. I have none from inside.

Some Specs:
Main Engine: Cummins 6CTA8-3M (430 HP) with 2,000 hours
Get home: Yanmar 56 HP 4JH3E with 20 hours
Generator: Northern Lights M843NK.3 with 3,000 hours

Fuel: 1400 Gal (split into two tanks)
Water: 340 Gal (split into 2 tanks)
Holding tank 70 Gal

She cruises at 1,800 RPM burning 6.4-6.8 @ 8 kts with top speed of 11 kts
I'll have a better idea on fuel flow once I replace the flowscan dampers and sensors.

The stabilizers are awesome! never been on a boat with them before.

Oh and compared to the sailboat, yes its much easier to hit an ETA window! Right now we aren't really cruising as much as we're shaking her down and getting ready for Spring. I'll say thou that crossing that Gulf of Mexico for the first out was a great experience.

oh, here's some sunset pics from the middle of the Gulf of mexico too!!

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1188.jpg
    IMG_1188.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1159.jpg
    IMG_1159.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 20141110_170611.jpg
    20141110_170611.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141110_171652.jpg
    20141110_171652.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 94
  • 20141111_060736.jpg
    20141111_060736.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 97
And stunning sunset pictures.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Here's a few more pics of the exterior. I have none from inside.

Some Specs:
Main Engine: Cummins 6CTA8-3M (430 HP) with 2,000 hours
Get home: Yanmar 56 HP 4JH3E with 20 hours
Generator: Northern Lights M843NK.3 with 3,000 hours

Fuel: 1400 Gal (split into two tanks)
Water: 340 Gal (split into 2 tanks)
Holding tank 70 Gal

She cruises at 1,800 RPM burning 6.4-6.8 @ 8 kts with top speed of 11 kts
I'll have a better idea on fuel flow once I replace the flowscan dampers and sensors.

The stabilizers are awesome! never been on a boat with them before.

Oh and compared to the sailboat, yes its much easier to hit an ETA window! Right now we aren't really cruising as much as we're shaking her down and getting ready for Spring. I'll say thou that crossing that Gulf of Mexico for the first out was a great experience.

oh, here's some sunset pics from the middle of the Gulf of mexico too!!

Looks Great

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, we want to make the trip from Galveston to Key West/Keys one of these days.

Congrats and give us a shout when you get to South Carolina.

Just stole that sunset pic for my iPhone lock screen. Hope you don't mind! ?

Wow. Now that is the way to come to the dark side. Welcome aboard.

Stunning. Maybe someday ...
Congratulations!

Thank you everyone for saying hello back.

Cardude: I can't take credit for the sunset pictures. A buddy of mine tagged along to fish and help with night watches. He happens to be a photographers son :). I have one as my phone screen and another as my desktop, so Cardude I don't mind at all. In fact if you, or anyone, wants the original higher res pics, let me know where to send them.

Victor: It was a great trip. We chose to take the safety fairway SE and when it ended we aimed for the entrance to the Northwest channel into Key West. This kept us out of the way of most oil rigs. And YES, the abandoned ones have no lights, no AIS...nothing. I was amazed how many oil rigs there actually are out there. So this routing made it very easy to get by them. By the time the safety zone ends, most are behind you. We docked at Stock Island Marina which is 1/3 the price of downtown marinas. It's a nice place, recently rebuilt, great diesel prices and an easy cab ride downtown.

Windmill: I'll let you know when we're leaving Savannah.

healhustler: I have to admit, the dark side is a more comfortable ride!

BDofMSP: it was one of those, if not now when? So we tightened our belts a bit and jumped in.

Welcome aboard, nice boat!!:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom