Very very new

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walther001

Dear all,

Great reading this forum! And learning a lot.

Thinking about buying a boat and a trawler (after a lot of reading and thinking) seems a great choice. Undecided yet tho.

But will be reading more and more about it.

I am from the Netherlands and been around water for most of my life (even lifeguard parttime) and now want a permanent vacation boat to do a lot of sightseeing over longer distances. Will do some boating courses etc. as well.

Anyways long intro.
Looking for a decent investment in a boat and curious to see about running costs etc.

Thanks everybody for your info up front!

Cheers,

Walther

Welcome aboard, and hope to see a post from you about the new boat soon now! :)

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your search.

Ted

Walter
Welcome. Just get something straight in your head. There is almost no good investment when it comes to boats $ wise.:facepalm: I say ALMOST, because you do have some good times from boat ownership.

Welcome aboard. Just a warning don't even think investment, power boats are more like a hole in the water where you throw your $. You have to like it enough to rap your head around that concept. Sail boats can be more $ wise if you chose your boat with a careful eye toward resale and are capable of upkeep and upgrade using your labor.

Look for boats that are popular in the Netherlands because conditions and resale vary world wide. Someting popular in Florida may not fit conditions in your area. Walk the docks tanl to owners anout why they like their boat. Owners always like to talk boats.

Always buy boats that suit the local conditions and are popular in your area. Boats popular in Florida may not be popular nor siuitble for the Netherlands.

Walk dock and talk to owners about why they like their boat. boaters are friendly and like to talk boats.

Be sure engines and major equipment are well supported locally.

Good luck.

Thanks everybody!
This is a very nice welcome...

And forgot to mention I have immigrated to the the US of A 6 months ago. Currently living near the Philly area.

So the boat I am looking for will have to be popular here :) or near abouts. ( for now)

Thanks again!

And forgot to mention I have immigrated to the the US of A 6 months ago. Currently living near the Philly area.

The Chesapeake Bay is very popular with folks from your area... So you could easily take an auto tour down here and walk some docks to shop on boat types...

Lots o' boats in places like Summit North Marina (C&D Canal), Chesapeake City, Georgetown (Sassafras River), Havre d' Grace, Rock Hall, Baltimore, Kent Narrows, Annapolis, Deale...

-Chris

I agree with Ranger 42c Walk some docks in the area talk with boaters most will be happy to answer questions about their boats or local cruising areas.

Walther, the wife and i are on about year 2 or 3 of our slow and careful search for the right boat but we're getting very close.
From what i see it is quite common to take this long for a sensible search. One thing we're cautious about is finding a used boat that is fairly well updated but also has descended its depreciation curve to some extent.
One thing you might consider is attending a TrawlerFest, the closest one to you will be this September at Bay Bridge near Annapolis, MD.
We've been to a few and always learn something new.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom