Vashon 23

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired. Crabber

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rumpus van puffy bun
Vessel Make
Vashon 23
Hello just signed up. I have searched all avail last threads on here and thought I would post in welcome mat. I am the looking for a Vashon pocket 23. I have been looking a few years and found one for 17k with low hours yanmar. . Just thought maybe this enlightened community might have a few words or even any leads on the little boats. And wether or not 17k is a good price for a fairly fit/equipped Vashon on a trailer.Thank you

Attachments

• B94AA067-2F00-4BF0-A6D3-99D069FD6335.jpeg
    B94AA067-2F00-4BF0-A6D3-99D069FD6335.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
There are a couple of those in Homer I do believe, but that info would be to contact the owners about them as I am sure they are not for sale. I wave at them as we pass each other :)

I see them well out into the Fjords and in Prince William Sound, so there is not doubt as to their ability.

I have not seen one there yet I live in nicklechik have to look around. I found one local for 17k really debating it and so few made for comparison. with the weighted keel it looks like honey I shrunk the boat but looking around that price the other available builds look like overgrown skiffs. Thanks for the reply

There is a Bristol Bay boat that also looks a lot like the Vashon, I see him poking in and out of Tutka Bay. I see 2-4 of those little double enders but it's really hard to tell them from one another. I spent one night anchored in Midnight Cove with one, and one night in Fox Farm Bay with a different one. They get around!

I see a lifeboat hull in Seward if anyone looking be nice cruiser motor stuck he told me 2k has the old motor still in it. And all the navy parts are there still there. If I go look at I will post pics it was on Craigslist.

Here’s the one I am considering

Attachments

• 3517153F-E0F9-4B34-BEFF-2A97012182C3.jpeg
    3517153F-E0F9-4B34-BEFF-2A97012182C3.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 30
I called him he down to 30k it located in Chesapeake bay that’s way too much thanks for the reply

Last edited:
There is one in Soldotna on K-Beach road. It has been for sale for a couple of years. I am not sure if it is still for sale but the sign was still on it last fall.

Oh yes I think I’m buying that one lol as seen from poppy

Attachments

• 35306AF1-D865-447E-B74D-D3255F46CD20.jpeg
    35306AF1-D865-447E-B74D-D3255F46CD20.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 24
After a conclusive search it well worth 17

Barring any last minute surprises On the boat I am picking up that Vashon tomorrow!

yup it be on homer soon I’m in ninilchik might try king fishing I have a power pack and crab pot but I have to weld a puller up. but Your more than welcome to check it out. I have not been down to homer in a few weeks is the harbor iced Up.

Might be tomorrow afternoon to try it I’m nervous but without putting in but hey it’s cheaper than buddies new sled lol

Why not consider a McGregor, not a true sailboat but with a decent outboard, they can go like stink, and when you want to go slower, put the sail up. The are trailerable.

Here is a 26 MacGregor for sale in New York, just providing an example, I know you are in Alaska. This boat is 2001, and is going for $12,000.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/macgregor-26x-powersailer-3712405/

Propaganda on the boat, video:

Haha where does the crab pots go on that one? Picked up the rumpus van puffy bun absolutely one of the prettiest boats it’s size I’ve ever seen. Going to outfit her for cruising around Alaska.

Attachments

• 8A99C027-6AB8-4BE5-9DCE-83A4AC81D925.jpg
    8A99C027-6AB8-4BE5-9DCE-83A4AC81D925.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 22
I hope to take it up the road to lake iliamna to capture the famed monster of lake iliamna. After that we are heading to portloch to capture big foot so the McGregor won’t pack enough to carry the monsters back to homer or Pedro bay.

Spent lots of time in Chatham, glassing the beaches for Bigfoot is always a passing time there. Used to see a lot of bears, but it's grown up where logged over the last 35 years so now you only see them above timberline.

No luck on Bigfoot yet though...

Why not consider a McGregor, not a true sailboat but with a decent outboard, they can go like stink, and when you want to go slower, put the sail up. The are trailerable.

Here is a 26 MacGregor for sale in New York, just providing an example, I know you are in Alaska. This boat is 2001, and is going for $12,000.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/macgregor-26x-powersailer-3712405/

Propaganda on the boat, video:

Was chatting recently with a fellow dock walker and he was saying that he picked up a McGregor 26 a while back. He said it was okay, but once he removed the sail rig it became an amazing boat. Takes it everywhere, and in the rough stuff he adds water to the ballast chamber, giving him excellent sea keeping abilities.

Back in earlier days, I owned what we called here a Maxi Trailer Yacht. It was called a Gazelle 26. I loved it, and it was extremely seaworthy, as when the keel, (electric winch driven up and down), was locked down, it was in effect, a keeler. They race then across Cook Strait in NZ where it was built. I got it as the manufacturer's own demonstration vessel, so beautifully set up.

However it was heavy to tow around, (2 tonne loaded), and I often wished the Macgregor 26 had come out a bit earlier, as the concept of being able to take on - or drop - water ballast was so amazing. That and the fact with ballast and rig furled, with a 50-60hp outboard, the thing could plane at 20kn..! I suppose with the rig removed, it would save quite a bit of kerfuffle launching and retrieving, but I think I'd want to preserve the sailing capability, as I did miss that when we went trawler style. Not having to have a wet berth, and associated costs of anti-foul etc sure has its attractions as well. :)

Attachments

• 1D2A141F-20A6-4BD6-9082-32FB63E31E9E.jpg
    1D2A141F-20A6-4BD6-9082-32FB63E31E9E.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I hope to take it up the road to lake iliamna to capture the famed monster of lake iliamna. After that we are heading to portloch to capture big foot so the McGregor won’t pack enough to carry the monsters back to homer or Pedro bay.
I took a Rawson from the bay up the river and over the road once. It was an amazing trip. The lake can get a little sloppy, toughest seas of the whole season.

I have never trolled salmon we will find out. My wife was charter fisherman for years she says I won’t have the patients lol hulk smash hulk stack pots hulk throw hook in bearing sea ice lol. Man I love rawsons spent a couple seasons on them in the bay myself corky little boats chocks or not. made the trip once as slave labor on a rozema. fresh water scares the living hell out of me they are steep they stack and it’s odd colors.

Those Vashon boats are very good looking! Wheelhouse perfectly proportioned with prominent visor, roof camber and good looking windows. She looks shippy!
Wheelhouse has attitude.

There is one in Sausalito CA at Sausalito Shipyard and Marina, leave your name with Cynthia, the harbormaster, and she may or may not forward it. Now, she has a paying tenant which never leaves the dock. Needs a new engine, owner has a trailer in Oregon. Could probably get it pretty cheap and repower and modify to your needs.

Oh man since we found ours guys been asking about it. At least maybe can send somebody that way. Thanks for input I love the boats.

Greetings. I’m trying to read that one page write up and spec sheet you posted buts it’s too blurry. Is it possible to post a better image so I can peruse the info? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom