Old 02-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #21
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Why not consider a McGregor, not a true sailboat but with a decent outboard, they can go like stink, and when you want to go slower, put the sail up. The are trailerable.

Here is a 26 MacGregor for sale in New York, just providing an example, I know you are in Alaska. This boat is 2001, and is going for $12,000.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...ailer-3712405/

Propaganda on the boat, video:

Was chatting recently with a fellow dock walker and he was saying that he picked up a McGregor 26 a while back. He said it was okay, but once he removed the sail rig it became an amazing boat. Takes it everywhere, and in the rough stuff he adds water to the ballast chamber, giving him excellent sea keeping abilities.

Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Back in earlier days, I owned what we called here a Maxi Trailer Yacht. It was called a Gazelle 26. I loved it, and it was extremely seaworthy, as when the keel, (electric winch driven up and down), was locked down, it was in effect, a keeler. They race then across Cook Strait in NZ where it was built. I got it as the manufacturer's own demonstration vessel, so beautifully set up.

However it was heavy to tow around, (2 tonne loaded), and I often wished the Macgregor 26 had come out a bit earlier, as the concept of being able to take on - or drop - water ballast was so amazing. That and the fact with ballast and rig furled, with a 50-60hp outboard, the thing could plane at 20kn..! I suppose with the rig removed, it would save quite a bit of kerfuffle launching and retrieving, but I think I'd want to preserve the sailing capability, as I did miss that when we went trawler style. Not having to have a wet berth, and associated costs of anti-foul etc sure has its attractions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
1D2A141F-20A6-4BD6-9082-32FB63E31E9E.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021, 12:55 AM   #23

City: Kasilof Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired. Crabber View Post
I hope to take it up the road to lake iliamna to capture the famed monster of lake iliamna. After that we are heading to portloch to capture big foot so the McGregor won’t pack enough to carry the monsters back to homer or Pedro bay.
I took a Rawson from the bay up the river and over the road once. It was an amazing trip. The lake can get a little sloppy, toughest seas of the whole season.
DNT99611 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:57 AM   #24

City: Kasilof Alaska
That should be a great boat for trolling salmon.
DNT99611 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:44 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Rumpus van puffy bun
Vessel Model: Vashon 23
I have never trolled salmon we will find out. My wife was charter fisherman for years she says I won’t have the patients lol hulk smash hulk stack pots hulk throw hook in bearing sea ice lol. Man I love rawsons spent a couple seasons on them in the bay myself corky little boats chocks or not. made the trip once as slave labor on a rozema. fresh water scares the living hell out of me they are steep they stack and it’s odd colors.
Retired. Crabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:31 PM   #26
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Those Vashon boats are very good looking! Wheelhouse perfectly proportioned with prominent visor, roof camber and good looking windows. She looks shippy!
Wheelhouse has attitude.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:41 PM   #27

City: Sausalito, CA
Vessel Name: Even Kiehl
There is one in Sausalito CA at Sausalito Shipyard and Marina, leave your name with Cynthia, the harbormaster, and she may or may not forward it. Now, she has a paying tenant which never leaves the dock. Needs a new engine, owner has a trailer in Oregon. Could probably get it pretty cheap and repower and modify to your needs.
Even Kiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Rumpus van puffy bun
Vessel Model: Vashon 23
Oh man since we found ours guys been asking about it. At least maybe can send somebody that way. Thanks for input I love the boats.

Retired. Crabber is offline   Reply With Quote