Tug dreaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vancouver BC got their new tugs from Sanmar

at 2:19

Last edited:
These are harbour tugs. We operate tows on open ocean. Still an interesting video

Welcome aboard. Sorry for all the worthless responses. I have a 2002 32’ Nordic Tug. It was the first model to have the built-in swim step but before a few minor v-berth mods. I think it was later called a 32+2 then eventually a 34. Enough about that. I love the tug but they, I should say mine, has a few things to take into consideration. 1. How big you are and agile/flexible. I suggest you Lie down in the v-berth. I am only 5’9”, 150 lbs and extremely flexible. I find it pretty cramped but livable. Much taller or heavier person, I think, would find it miserable. B. Steps - 3 steps from cockpit into saloon. Depending on your stature this can be a real head knocker. When I first got the boat I almost had to have stitches when I bumped my head. I learned but a taller person may have issues. The steps leading down into the v-berth are steep narrow. Narrow in the fact the treads are narrow front to back and some time your foot wants to slide off. Yep, did that too. I go down them sideways.
Now for the head. The door is narrow but what bare feet have to worry about is the bottom of the door is raised 11 inches from the floor. Squeezing through the narrow door and stepping high is not natural and must be a learned talent. Toes can pay the price. Yep did that too.
Before leaving the v-berth I should point out that the mattress with topper is 37” high. I don’t have much of a problem but my wife, at 5’4” must use a stool. A stool in a very small floor space which limits access to the drawers. The stool also creates a tripping hazard especially during those night runs. Yep did that too.
The engine bay is very nice and access panels allow one to avoid head knockers and light. Still tight but by boat standards I think exceptional!
The most important thing to consider, after you physical limitations is what will the boat be used for. For long distant travel to remote locations and anchoring out. I consider mine a 3 out of 10. Why? Not enough storage, not enough water, no generator, no solar power just to name a few. Of course I could add all that stuff. I could put a generator in the engine bay! Then the engine compartment becomes a nightmare and and I would have to hire a midget to service it. I could put a portable generator in the cockpit! There goes the only sitting area on the boat and becomes a CO producing noise maker.
Some store all on top of the saloon. Putting weight up high and poking screw holes in the roof is nothing I want to do. Besides, where would the kayaks and solar panels go?
For puttering around the islands this is a great boat. For living aboard even in a marina it is not good, For long isolated trips. I consider it a poor choice. For a tall or obese person(s) it would be a horrible decision.
I didn’t mention how wet a ride it is. It’s not an issue that is painful. Actually we we think it adds some excitement to our videos.
We love the boat! We plan on taking it from Washington to Whittier Alaska. That is something we want to do and that is the boat we have. At 74 you do the best you can with what you got.
Hope in a weird way this helps.

I’m not sure what to call ours . It was built as a commercial fishing boat with nets and outriggers. Now it’s retired. I call it a trawler but not sure what is.

That would be a troller. George Buehler designed most of his vessels on the troller concept. The problem is they need to have the stabilizers.

Back
Top Bottom