Old 08-21-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Mallets Bay, Vermont
Vessel Name: Fish Camp
Vessel Model: Eagle 32
Trawlers on my mind

Hello All,
I’m a retired sailor of sorts, lots experience in some boats and some experience in lots of boats, lately I’m feeling the pull of the next big adventure, the vision at this point is foggy, but I’m sure it involves a trawler.
Initially going with my current rig, a cutter rigged Island Packet, seemed like the best course of action as it’s in good shape and I know the boat fairly well so I set out to make her as idiot resistant as possible for this aging single handler. Unfortunately, truth be told, on the days I’d really like to be sailing I no longer trust myself, the loss of confidence has been unnerving. If you’ve been out sailing on a rough day you know it takes a lot of energy and you get beat around pretty good. It’s been a tough decision but having made it I’m now quite excited about the prospects of a trawler. I expect it will open the door to a whole new universe.
Essentially I’m thinking the smallest boat possible that’s big enough. Mostly me and the dog, wife some times. Bigger boats draw more water, are harder to handle in tight confines, are are typically more needy. Reliable components, with parts and expertise readily available are high on the list. I can fix most things but given my druthers prefer not (finding the expertise is a whole other matter).
At this point I like the looks of Wilburs and Duffys but the Nordic 32 and GB 36 check off the most boxes. Am wide open to suggestions.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Have fun searching for your new boat.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Blues, not knowing where Mallets Bay is located, all I can suggest is, dont over-look the American Tug if you can find a used one.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Welcome Blues. Lot of former sailors here. There are plenty of great boats that would fit the bill. In your shoes I would look for used American Tugs, Nordic Tugs, Camano Troll, etc... Only because I am familiar with them and would want to stick with a single engine for ease of maintenance and access. I also detest sanding and refinishing exterior wood.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'll throw in a vote for the Californian 34 LRC. It was built from 1977 as the first American built trawler to compete with overseas trawler builders. It was designed to compete directly with the GB32.

It's an open sedan layout with wide walkarounds, minimal steps, galley up, dry head and 2 staterooms. Some are single stateroom with galley down. The twin diesels, stbd helm door and double aft doors make all around access and single-handing a piece of cake...at least for me in the relatively benign waters of the California Delta.

Early models were made in Santa Ana, California by (Jule) Marshall Boats and later under new owner Wellcraft. Later models were built on the east coast by Wellcraft and Carver.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Mallets Bay, Vermont
Vessel Name: Fish Camp
Vessel Model: Eagle 32
Thanks for the suggestions, quite impressed with the AT. There is only one Californian on YW, seems like a lot of boat for the money, too good to be true? There is a nugget of truth in the old joke, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.

I keep coming back to a Duffy 35 that strikes an emotional cord but it lacks a bow thruster and only has a 15 gal holding tank which won’t work on the lake. I’m guessing that a trawler without a flying bridge is going to be easier to dock than a sail boat, although docking my boat is often the most exciting part of my life these days, so I’d prefer a bow thruster, just don’t know if it’s a show stopper. We’ll see about that tank.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, quite impressed with the AT. There is only one Californian on YW, seems like a lot of boat for the money, too good to be true? There is a nugget of truth in the old joke, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes.
Look at it before you buy. I'm very confident you'll be impressed!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote