Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I'd get used to the boat before deciding. If you've helmed racing keelboats on crowded starting lines and enjoyed it you'll do fine. Just don't be afraid to use the power. Head out and spend a couple of days maneuvering around pilings and whatnot.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:55 PM   #22
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard and congratulations.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgauci View Post
Hey all, Just an update. We had the engine survey last week and the CAT tech said it's in exceptional condition and has clearly been well looked after. His only recommendation were 2 hoses he said could use replacement in the next year.

The next day, the marine surveyor gave it a good go through and at the end said, "I can't find a single reason why you shouldn't buy this boat.", stating it was rare to see a boat of this age in such clean condition.
....Regarding the bow thruster, the previous owner had no probs spinning it nicely walking the prop. He says the 210hp spins it a lot better than his previous trawler that had a 120hp Lehman. I'll just see how it goes before committing to the thruster.

Thanks again!
Great news. I suggest you take another look at my post #11, re manoeuvring without thrusters. It took me quite a while to work that trick out by myself. You can cut straight to it. You're welcome...
Old 05-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

Here's my muse regarding single screw boats [and, if I owned one - which might occur - I may try this]:

Why have thrusters when for same [maybe even less cost with today's technology] a small [10 to 20 hp.] O/B could be fashioned onto/into swim step for more than one purpose of use while being remote/wirelessly controlled from any place aboard.

1. - The O/B would suffice in close dock situations because of its propeller thrust in full range of direction.
2. - It would offer a great "get-home" alternative if the main screw went quiet.
3. - For trolling the cost of fuel as well as noise would be reduced [gas or diesel].
4. - For required minus 5 mph cruising in large expanses of ICW's it would be a cost saving and sound reducing slam dunk.

5. - With correct hook up regarding boom on boat the same O/B could either be in its swim step position or it could be lifted and put into service as propulsion aboard the tender that same boom launched. Additionally... there could be a location aboard boat where the O/B could be placed by boom where it simply rested in wait for it's next propulsion deployment assignment.

There you have it! This is example of what hits my mind early morning over coffee - and - Plenty of IT!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art, the guys around here (north shore Lake Erie) use outboards for trolling. This boat has the motor controlled from the hydraulic AP and can steer with it. Pretty close to what you're imagining.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20170507_123334.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	64546
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Congratulation for your new boat! Wish to enjoy it as much as possible.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Art, the guys around here (north shore Lake Erie) use outboards for trolling. This boat has the motor controlled from the hydraulic AP and can steer with it. Pretty close to what you're imagining.

Attachment 64546
Just goes to show ya what several cups o' coffee early in the day will do for ya!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Trenton
Just remember two words: " prop wash".

With your experience I don't think you'll have any trouble with boat handling. You are just steering from a different spot and height.

Odd that you have a 210 CAT as most were 120 Lehmans. Then again, MT did whatever they felt like (and whatever the new owner wanted) on each build.

Good luck!
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #28

City: Campbell River, BC
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40 Tri Cabin
Thanks for the encouragement. The owner paid half for a delivery captain to join me and he said it was a world of difference with the 210 HP. He took it out of a tight slip and I did the first docking and all went very well. Still, looking at the docs from the pre delivery inspection in '82, it says "CCW" in the engine details. Would this indicate that prop is CCW as well? I didn't notice much effect as I nursed it in but tomorrow will head out (assuming little wind) and really get a feel.
I spent the last week on the whale watching boat I drive and it clicked quickly on the nuance of how it maneuvered. Hoping the trawler will be as easy to figure out.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

David
Dgauci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine trader 40