Trawler info.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trever46

Hello,
New to the group and don’t know much about trawlers. Spent my whole life commercial fishing Alaska. Would like to get something my family and I can enjoy Alaska’s summers on. Does anyone know if many Rawson trawlers were built? I think one of those would be perfect for us.

Welcome aboard. I am not familiar with them but someone here will know.

Rawson trawlers are rare. Yachtworld, the main listing site for recreational boats has none, Boattrader the number 2 site doesn't even recognize the Rawson name. I did find a listing for one in Oxnard, Ca. See https://www.seacoastyachts.com/listings/38-rawson-1976-trawler-boats-for-sale/

It appears to be similar to a lot of Taiwan Tubs (an endearing and derogatory term for trawlers built in Asia during the 70-80s timeframe) such as Marine Traders.

Try doing a search on Yachtworld and Boattrader for trawlers, length, price and year desired and see what you come up with. Should be dozens, maybe a 100 or more in that category.

I have no information at all about who built Rawson trawlers. I assume it was an Asian builder but some quality US built trawlers were built in that period. Willard is one, but will generally be much more $$$.

Good luck and welcome to the trawler fraternity.

David

Yachtworld removed the Advanced Search option in the US version of the site a while ago. However if you go to the UK version of the site the Advanced Search is still available. But you have to change the length from meters to feet and pounds to US dollars or the search may give bad results.

Rawson built boats from the mid 60's until the early 80's. They were manufactured in the PNW of US. I don't know the number of boat built, but they included sail boats, fishing boats and trawler style. Most of the sail boats were designed by William Garden and the trawlers by were designed by Ed Monk senior (2 of the best).

From what I've read and heard, the boats were great designs but had a few shortcomings such as concrete ballast, and soft foredecks.

I see. One was for sale in Seward last month and it sold right away. Good to know about soft deck.

Back
Top Bottom