Old 09-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #21

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I didn't want a trawler but I ended up getting one anyway. I was helping out a friend and he asked me what I would pay to take it off his hands. I gave him a pretty low number and he accepted! Now what? Lotsa work to get her up and running because maintenance had been deferred. I had been looking at getting a larger sailboat than my little Hunter 23 with an eye to going to the Bahamas and maybe the great loop. My wife was not going to go on our little Hunter. LOL. We have a 36' Prairie that we are now falling in love with but it's definitely different from sailing. More roomy and luxurious for sure but there are drawbacks. Sailboats just ride better in most sea conditions but in calmer waters it's hard to beat a trawler.

Kevin

tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
You will have to get cozy with your new engine. Your joy or discomfort level will fluctuate with the throb of the iron horse Oh and the generator...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv View Post
Oh dear, now I'm having 2nd thoughts about our purchase! Our son is our mechanic, but he will not be with us on all our excursions.

I little familiarity should take the edge off. You've learned about rigging and sail handling; you can easily learn about engines... and you probably have a head start anyway, given having an auxiliary and maybe a genset in your Cape Dory.

FWIW, I found intro diesel courses to be very valuable. Previously, I knew a decent amount about the theory, but wouldn't have recognized a raw water pump if it bit me on the... er... nose. Now I can do most any service required, even though I still pick and choose the tasks I'm willing to do myself... and that choice is often guided by whether I'd need specialized tools for a (hopefully) one-time job, or whether the job would physically hurt me. That actually leaves quite a lot of basic stuff that's generally easy (enough) to do, given decent access.

-Chris

Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #23

City: St. Joseph, Mi
Vessel Name: Molly
Vessel Model: Albin 36' trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Welcome to TF . Don't worry you're gonna love the trawler. Now you can sit in a real chair and if you want have a covered slip.

Can't wait! Going to go out for Sea trial this weekend. Deposit check has already been sent and cashed. Getting close to have our name on her title!!!
chrisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #24
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Can't wait! Going to go out for Sea trial this weekend. Deposit check has already been sent and cashed. Getting close to have our name on her title!!!

From fun look of your avatar...

Maybe your should name your new pleasure cruiser "Smilen Faces!"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cleveland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
From fun look of your avatar...

Maybe your should name your new pleasure cruiser "Smilen Faces!"
Not a bad idea Art, me Irish Bro.

They look like a wonderful happy couple enjoying life together and on the water! Simply great!

Chrisv: Hope all goes well with the sea trial.

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Not a bad idea Art, me Irish Bro.

They look like a wonderful happy couple enjoying life together and on the water! Simply great!

Chrisv: Hope all goes well with the sea trial.

Cheers.

H.

Thanks! Will post results when we it's a final!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:
Can't wait!

Ahhhh... TF, one of the simple joys of life when at my desk in early morn!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #28
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Welcome aboard.
We also came from sail boats in Southern California, but decided a trawler would be better for the Great Loop.
So we bought a trawler with a mast and boom. Not sure how useful it is, but I can pull on a line or two and hear the winch go clickity click, then I feel better.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG View Post
Welcome aboard.

We also came from sail boats in Southern California, but decided a trawler would be better for the Great Loop.

So we bought a trawler with a mast and boom. Not sure how useful it is, but I can pull on a line or two and hear the winch go clickity click, then I feel better.

LOL! The trawler we are buying also has a mast and boom. I found comfort in that too my hubby thinks they are rarely used, but we'll see. Thinking if our engines went out that little sail wouldn't help much . Hubby says it is to help stabilize when boats rolling around too much.

I'm a S. CA girl (born and raised). Hubby and I also lived in S. CA and northern CA for 20 years. A favorite sail was to Catalina Is. in S. Cal and SF Bay and out the gate in N. Cal. My hubby sailed a 32' Westsail from SF to Hawaii and back 30+ years ago. He left on our anniversary and I was 6 months pregnant. As you can imagine, I was not a happy camper. When he arrived I flew over and met him in Hawaii and flew back to SF the day he left to sail back. Good memories!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:

Be looking forward to hear want the final results are.

Best of luck to the Both of you!

Cheers.

H.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #31

We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	68599
Meet "Molly" our 36' 1979 Albin trawler. We can't wait to get better acquainted with her and show her tender loving care as she takes on many new adventures!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! Attachment 68599
Meet "Molly" our 36' 1979 Albin trawler. We can't wait to get better acquainted with her and show her tender loving care as she takes on many new adventures!
That is great news! You two will enjoy the dark side. Your vessel is a great looking one and I know the both of you are proud of her. Enjoy her

Cheers.

H.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #33
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Congratulations, she looks very nice!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
We have officially crossed over to the "dark side"! Attachment 68599
Can tell the way you two stand there huggen. n' smilen.. that... You two are obviously crazy!

Crazy about each other and boats together... that is!!

super congrats. Enjoy every day aboard!!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art and Linda
Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 PM   #35

We are holding onto each other shaking in our boots wondering which electronic component will break down first!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
We are holding onto each other shaking in our boots wondering which electronic component will break down first!
That's simple to answer...

Your electrically energized synapses inside - Your Minds!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:38 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
No worries! Anything that breaks can be fixed! So no worries! Just keep the luck of the Irish in your minds!

The main thing is, you will be having fun enjoying your vessel and each other doing what you both love to do!

Cheers.

H.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF and to...as you say...the dark side.
No transition for me always been a power boater but love to sail... on other peoples sail boats.
Actually I believe it's more of a transition from sport cruisers and go fast boats to trawlers than for sailers.
Sailers are used to goibg slow and frequently run the diesel to do it. Many argue about the% but many / most sailers run their diesels more than half the time.

If you will be making the return trip from St Lawrence to Lk Michigan I would suggest researching the Trent-Severn canal as a potential route.
We've done it while still working on a limited time frame. Looking to go back in a yr or two now that we can take our time. The T-S is one of those trips you will never forget.
Good luck with the new adventures
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #39

Bacchus,
Thank you for the tip and route suggestions. It's going to be a LONG winter waiting for our first trawler adventure!!! As sailors, years ago we would only turn our motor on if we were in dire circumstances , now we turn it on if we get in a hurry or the wind just plain goes dies. So, I hear what you're saying. After our sea trial yesterday, I was a little surprised at the rocking motion (it was more than I had anticipated) but I'm sure I'll get used to it, as well as the loud sound of the engines. Hubby and I plan to return to NY and live aboard until she goes into winter storage so we can get her ready for travel as soon as the snow melts!
Old 09-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #40
Art
Guru

Quote:
Bacchus,
Thank you for the tip and route suggestions. It's going to be a LONG winter waiting for our first trawler adventure!!! As sailors, years ago we would only turn our motor on if we were in dire circumstances , now we turn it on if we get in a hurry or the wind just plain goes dies. So, I hear what you're saying. After our sea trial yesterday, I was a little surprised at the rocking motion (it was more than I had anticipated) but I'm sure I'll get used to it, as well as the loud sound of the engines. Hubby and I plan to return to NY and live aboard until she goes into winter storage so we can get her ready for travel as soon as the snow melts!
One item you might spend a bit of time on is sound absorbing insulation; regarding propulsion engine or gen set noise. There are many products as well as numerous articles regarding sound deadening capabilities. Considerable posts about same on TF too - just use the search feature.

Don't know your sole over engine compartment's surface finish. However, I do know that not only is engine sound deadened by applications on the underneath portion of sole... but... equally as important is the floor top inside salon areas. Bulkheads, depending on boat's constructed design may also offer some sound deadening capabilities.

As a side note... all sounds emanating into confined areas while traveling are not necessarily due to a "noise" actually coming from engine or gen set themselves. Often there are "features" [i.e. all sorts if items in the engine compartment] that reverberate noise sounds at different levels of engine rpm. Finding/sound-deadening those chance situations can also drop decibel levels. Getting in and personal with the engines while running at various rpm is what it takes to locate items sending off reverberation sounds.

Oh what fun you will have!!