Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #41
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by m10brink View Post
Update:

The boat performed beautifully at her sea trial. I wasn't there, but I could hear my husband grinning on the phone afterwards. He always was a sucker for a good sounding engine.

The rest of the survey also went well. There were not any major surprises, and the big concerns (fuel tanks, decks, hull, engine, generator, batteries) were all in good condition. So, the plan is to enjoy, keep an eye on these, and tackle the larger preventative maintenance projects after getting to know and use the boat.

Of course, as I've gathered from reading other threads, all used boats come with projects. The only big unknown that we're facing is the head. The manual flush works just fine, but it isn't connected to electricity. (PO disconnected because the electric flush was incredibly loud.) Not making any plans for a project here until we've investigated this further.

Otherwise, we have a short laundry list of little projects like refreshing safety equipment. I am also going to try and spend some time this winter trying to restore the teak swim deck. It's still quite solid, but it looks like it could use a little love and some teak oil.

We have had Raritan Marine Elegance heads in several boats now. It is an electric head with a macerator in it. It is fairly quiet and has selectable flush options so you can save on water during flushes. You can get it in a high and low versions. Great head. If you are going to replace the old one, this is the one to go with. No affiliation.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:15 PM   #42

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Agree with this. We replaced an old electric Raritan with a Jabsco Quiet-flush, then changed that for a Marine Elegance. Much quieter.

av8r is offline   Reply With Quote