Thank You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDofMSP

Guru
Vessel Name
Gopher Broke
Vessel Make
Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
I haven't been a member here for very long, but I have learned a lot so far. Like a lot of people, I have a dream of owning a trawler in retirement, doing some coastal cruising, maybe some island hopping, etc. The problem is that I don't have any experience on a boat like that, or any experience in waters like that, or any idea if either my wife or I will really like that as much as I envision. I joined the forum mostly to find out what kind of boat I should buy. What I found is that none of you can tell me that - I need to discover it myself. So based on what I've learned, here's what I'm going to do.

1) We are registered for some initial training at Anacortes Yacht Charters. We are taking the three day Power Cruising course in June.
2) We will be chartering. We are starting with a boat the same size and engine configuration as our current boat, but with more livable accommodations and more seaworthy (a 29' Ranger Tug). That charter immediately follows our training.
3) Repeat the process. We plan to continue to get more training on bigger boats, twin engines, more advanced topics, and in a variety of styles. We plan on doing this in a number of areas to become familiar with cruising in a variety of settings over a number of years. We can do this quite a few times for what it would cost me to buy the wrong boat, or learn the hard way that she or I don't really love it.

When I signed up on this site I never posted on the welcome mat forum, which I realize now was a faux paux. So I figure better late than never. Thanks to all of you for your insight and experience and advice. I'm glad to be able to participate in this group!

Greetings,
Mr. BD.

troll_approval.gif

Save for the few "authorities", I hope the majority of us are here for the same reason….to learn. Welcome to the club….it's a big one.

Looks to me like you have the beginning of your Trawler education dialed in. That is the same company we took our first class from and had a great experience. You will learn a lot and then applying it directly to a charter is the perfect way to extend everything you learned and more. Nice job. We are moored in the same Marina. Stop by if you have time and see if we are aboard, C-14

Excellent plan, it will serve you well. You're picking a fantastic cruising ground to get you started! If you can't have a blast up there, then cruising's not for you. Advise you follow up with a return to the same area, there is so much to see and do, and you will be on somewhat familiar waters, lowering the stress a bit. Then pick something more tropical like SW Florida, and so on. You will find that if you are not living aboard and cruising full time, chartering is cheaper and less stressful than ownership.

Welcome and I hate to say this: You have been bitten and there is NO cure! It would be long before you are buying you winter boat show tickets in August and actually flying to places like Seattle, Newport CA or Miami just to go to the boat shows. Oh and spending a ridiculous amount of time on Yachtworld.com Yep you have been infected............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom