Texas "Big Ditch"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dry Dock

Vessel Name
Never EZ
Vessel Make
Hatteras 42 LRC
Howdy Ya'll

My quest has started to find a "looper", but giving myself plenty of time for research and due diligence. As part off this process, I would like to find some experienced folks in the Kemah to Galveston, TX area to mentor me along the way.

May your seas be calm and your bilge stay dry.

Howdy Ya'll

My quest has started to find a "looper", but giving myself plenty of time for research and due diligence. As part off this process, I would like to find some experienced folks in the Kemah to Galveston, TX area to mentor me along the way.

May your seas be calm and your bilge stay dry.
Welcome aboard.....from a little South of Galveston!

Welcome aboard. Mentoring from Michigan would be a bit difficult but there is a lot of help here.

Welcome.
If you want advice, we have plenty of that. Now, you want good advice, that narrows it down significantly.
I will make one assumption you want a diesel powered boat.
Now, how big. How many folks are you dragging along with you? You will discover when you buy a boat, you will accumulate more friends, fair weather friends.
What is your boating history? (you and your crew may want to take some boating courses)
1 or 2 staterooms? (a way of asking, how big)
New or previously owned?
What is your time frame to buy a boat?

We are in Beaumont and would be glad to help. Traveled from South Padre to Dry Tortugas.

You need to walk the docks and get on as many boats as possible.

Need to read Trawlers 101, on here somewhere, and spend time on Yachtworld to get a feel for what you like.

PM for our email and phone number.

Thanks,

Yea we are trolling the docks now, looking to purchase within a 2 yr window. Biggest hurdle now is getting the "admiral" on as may boats as possible.

Grand Banks seem to be the most numerous boats on the market with good reputation with a used price tag to go with it. How long have you been running yours and has it lived up to their reputation?

Thanks,

Yea we are trolling the docks now, looking to purchase within a 2 yr window. Biggest hurdle now is getting the "admiral" on as may boats as possible.

Grand Banks seem to be the most numerous boats on the market with good reputation with a used price tag to go with it. How long have you been running yours and has it lived up to their reputation?

Dont overlook the America Tugs..... Look for a nice single engine 34/36 or 41ft boat.
Advantage over the GB? NO exterior teak!!!!

I had a wooden GB42 for a long time and treasured it until it just no longer met our boating needs. While I do not recommend buying a wooded-hull boat,even a very well made GB, in this day and age, the Calypso does live in Galveston now and could serve as a useful substitute for how a GB sails and handles. It's in the Galveston Yacht Club, and John the new owner would probably welcome a visitor if I asked. One of the big things for the ladies can be the location of the galley. With the galley right there in the salon near the lower helm, the wife gets to be a part of the action even if she is preparing food - same for you if you are the food person or are single handing the boat while the off watch crew is asleep. "Galley down" like my current boat obviates those advantages.

Read my blog, Google :grandbankschoices.

We bought a clean boat that needed several months of tweaking to my preference.

Mostly simple stuff and lots of elbow grease.

I wanted the Grand Banks Europa look, and lurked for eight years before I purchased this one.

We would be happy to show her to you, and tell you what we looked at before buying, pros and cons.

It really comes down to bang for the buck, and there are less of these boats every year.

I had a wooden GB42 for a long time and treasured it until it just no longer met our boating needs. While I do not recommend buying a wooded-hull boat,even a very well made GB, in this day and age, the Calypso does live in Galveston now and could serve as a useful substitute for how a GB sails and handles. It's in the Galveston Yacht Club, and John the new owner would probably welcome a visitor if I asked. One of the big things for the ladies can be the location of the galley. With the galley right there in the salon near the lower helm, the wife gets to be a part of the action even if she is preparing food - same for you if you are the food person or are single handing the boat while the off watch crew is asleep. "Galley down" like my current boat obviates those advantages.

I guess your making blanket assumptions about the ladies being the galley slaves?...I know plenty of boating couples who would have issue with that. Both are partners in Navigation, maint and cooking aboard..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom