Stumbling up the gangway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She-Kon

Vessel Name
She:Kon
Vessel Make
Bateau TW28
begging for permission to come aboard is yet 'nuther crazy boat builder.

Hi folks. My name is Rick and I'm building a boat. Sounds like my intro at the AA meeting last week. Maybe there should be a BB support group. ;)

I see some familiar names here from the other web forums I post to so that's pretty cool. For those of you that don't know me I'm a retired Cdn. Coast Guard staffer who started building a boat about 3 yrs ago. About 8 yrs ago we decided to build vs buy an old boat and fixerup. We looked at all the available options and decided a Bateau.com TW28 was something I (we) were capable of building. About the same time we started to acquire some of the bits & bobs of hardware/equipment etc. that we'd need down the road.

The wife and I spent some time getting to know some other trawler dwellers and through their good graces allowed us to crawl over their boats with our measuring tapes. We decided that the 28' version of the boat would be just a little too tight for us and we made the decision to stretch the hull about a meter.

So if everything goes according to plan we'll have our boat finished in a couple of years and hopefully it'll look something like this.

img_242512_0_65b0a06431a7f9c17a70a77d104a7b34.jpg

Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. Rick. I've been following your build for a couple of years now. Post a link to your website. I'm SURE many will be interested. Just an observation about the title of this thread. Last I checked, a while back, She-Kon was wrong side up so you would be stumbling DOWN the gangway would you not. If you haven't already, when are you planning on flipping her over?

Last edited:
Rick good to see you over here,
Bill

Welcome aboard Rick, nice looking boat. Hope you get to enjoy it in the water in the near future. If you get up the Trent drop in and see us on Lake Simcoe.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard Mr. Rick. I've been following your build for a couple of years now. Post a link to your website. I'm SURE many will be interested. Just an observation about the title of this thread. Last I checked, a while back, She-Kon was wrong side up so you would be stumbling DOWN the gangway would you not. If you haven't already, when are you planning on flipping her over?
Howdy RTF

I've just started fairing the bottom & keel. Once that's done a few coats of epoxy then primer. I hope to flip it in August I think.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here's the blog link: M/V She:Kon

Warning! There are advertisements on the blog. I know this upsets some people and if I'm breaking a cardinal rule on here I'm sorry, just let me know and I'll remove the link.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Rick, nice looking boat. Hope you get to enjoy it in the water in the near future. If you get up the Trent drop in and see us on Lake Simcoe.
Hi Alan & Ann

Thanks for the welcome. I hope my boat turns out half as nice as the one in the picture! ;) It'll be a few years before we get up your way. It is on our bucket list though. I spent a few years in Midland and Parry Sound on the CCGS Griffon back in the early 80's and really want to retrace some of those voyages.

Thanks again.

Welcome Rick! Good to see our northern friends. Go Oilers!!!

For RTF, Ayup, still upside down!

img_242613_0_0ab76e9e60ff44035f17afb29dd244d3.jpg

I'm about half way down the port side bottom with fairing. 90 degs in the shed this afternoon so had to pull the pin. Will be back at it again tomorrow. Got a buddy coming from Montreal, accomplished boat builder, to help with some sanding.

Standby.

Welcome Rick! Good to see our northern friends. Go Oilers!!!
Hiya Tom & Kay

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like you got some pretty good fishin' over your way! ;) Another local on our bucket list, the PNW. Gotta figure out how to get our boat shipped out there someday. Had friends ship one from our Marina to Prince Rupert by train. Probably pretty spendy.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Welcome aboard Rick. While mine's not a trawler, I hang out here quite a bit to pick on the vast amount of knowledge that many on here are willing to share.

How far along with your build are you and do you have any photos to share?

Looking good Rick!

My brother is building a Bateau HMD19 and loves it. Except the sanding part. He hates sanding.

Welcome aboard Rick. While mine's not a trawler, I hang out here quite a bit to pick on the vast amount of knowledge that many on here are willing to share.

Hi Mike & Tina

I'd say not very far along! :banghead: I lost most of one building season out of 3 to an injury. The pace has been slow this year too. I'm currently fairing the hull in prep for primer & bottom paint before I can flip it over. Most people with some help get to this point the first year. Our building season is short, 6 months maybe, and then we hibernate for the winter.

There's plenty of photos on our blog. The link is above in post #5.

Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:
Looking good Rick!

My brother is building a Bateau HMD19 and loves it. Except the sanding part. He hates sanding.
Hi Conrad

I like the looks of the HMD19. Very capable looking boat for sure. I can sympathize about the sanding but when you've done as much as me you kinda get used to it. You don't so much build a boat as you carve one out of wood, epoxy, fiberglass & fairing compound! :rofl:

Cheers.

What Mike ment to say is he is one of the snobby go fast Sea Rays....:D:lol:

Welcome Rick, you seem to be the Canadian version of Hendo78. He's a crazy Aussie that loves carving boats out of ply and epoxy too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom