Old 08-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

City: Denham Springs
Sooo good to be here!!!

I've been stalking this site for about a year now along with anything else that I can find to feed my dream. And it's liberating to join you folks today and to begin a more active and public pursuit of my dream of moving to the water.

I have another 10 years or so of land work in the tank but plan to make my move to the water at about this time next year when I become an Empty Nester.....

My goal is an Early 80's, 42ish footer, full displacement cruiser for living on and then cruising the Caribbean and possibly more....

Thank you for all the insight that I've gained from the members of this site already and an advanced thank you for your support as I move forward.

Can't wait to meet some of you at sea in the future.
Ken1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Welcome aboard, wish your dream to become reality
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Welcome aboard!

We moved aboard a similar vessel in March of this year, even though I have another 5 or 6 years at the salt mines myself...

Finally empty nesters as well, and although I'm landlocked on a large midwestern lake, it is still living on the water! When we hook out for a couple of days when off work, it refreshes waaaay better than your typical days off at a dirt house.

When done with work, we will be transporting the Trojan to the Mississippi in St. Louis to start the full time loop living. I can only hope that your better half enjoys the lifestyle even half as much as mine, and you'll be happy!
Attached Thumbnails
20190726_115934.jpg   FB_IMG_1564271168107.jpg  
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
May your boat dollars bring boat smiles.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcome FlyBull and the great pictures...... sounds like y'all are having a great time.
My empty nest however is completely empty.... I'm single and my son will be off to college next year.
Thanks again and look forward to staying in touch
Old 08-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: A stalker.

Welcome.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Welcome!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #9
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Early 80s full displacement, so that’s a KK42 I guess?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome aboard, Ken! It's a great lifestyle if you have the skills or $$ to keep up with the demand for maintenance.

42' is a lot of boat to single hand in some configurations. Don't overlook those shorter versions that will provide the same abilities with less work, worry and $$. I would definitely loop alone or with another aboard in my 34 LRC. I just returned from 25 days of solo exploring the 25 bridges scattered across the California Delta. The agility of my 34 made maneuvering around bridges for photos a piece of cake.

Welcome to the club and enjoy the hunt. It's half the fun!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #11

Thanks you FlyWright, I hear what you're saying about the size of the boat and I'm certain that I'll continue to adjust/refine my plan over the next year....
Old 08-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #12

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1220 View Post
Thanks for the welcome FlyBull and the great pictures...... sounds like y'all are having a great time.
My empty nest however is completely empty.... I'm single and my son will be off to college next year.
Thanks again and look forward to staying in touch
Well then... you're waaaay ahead of 90% of others in your situation that have an Admiral to please...

BTW... I wouldn't let +/- 10' of boat (34' vs. 42') be much of an issue as far as single-handing. In my opinion, the more important considerations would be twins vs. single (for docking and tight quarters maneuvering) and access from normal piloting location (fly bridge or lower helm) to handle line(s). Things like doors from pilothouse on each side... and stairs or ladders from fly bridge that can be navigated safely and expeditiously...

Good luck!
Flybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #13

True true..... what I battle with is the determination of needs and wants. Living aboard day in and day out for years has a set of needs/wants and cruising capability without hard limits placed on myself due to boat design/capability etc. has another set of needs/wants.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Very true, Flybull. Vessel configuration dictates ease of single handing more than length. I like a sedan with wide walkarounds and a lower helm door. Having a cockpit near water level also makes docking and water access easier.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Al has a good point. When heading out on the loop solo (or any lengthy coastal journey), length means $$$ if you want to visit marinas. There’s plenty of full displacement 40 and under monohulls and catamarans out there with all the space and features you want. Don’t ignore the semi-displacement hulls either. They can give decent low-speed economy with a good turn of speed when you need it. Keep us updated on your progress.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I add my welcome. Denham Springs, LA? So you will become a fellow Gulf Coaster? Where will you plan to keep the vessel? I have cruised the Gulf Coast from Galveston to Key West in my 42-foot Grand Banks and can offer not only knowledge of the area but a free slip when you are passing by Panama City. Be aware that "full displacement" rules out a lot of boats, including my former GB42 which with its hard chines was a semi-displacement or semi-planing depending on how you looked at it and how much horsepower you had. Some GBs were built with engines big enough to rise up out of the water and scoot. Full displacement means rounded chines and the inability to rise up with power. My great good friends had a 42-foot Bristol trawler next to me when I had my GB in a marina and a wake or other surge occasionally passing through would see my boat roll once or twice and stopped while that Bristol rolled like a drunken sailor for minutes. I took that Bristol across the North Channel in Canada in a blow, and I will say in its defense it was more sea kindly than my GB which tended to snap roll a little. I took a GB36 across the southern extreme of Lake Michigan in 3-4 footers a couple years back, and my wife was not seen topside all day!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #17

I plan to keep her in Madisonville, LA on the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain. I was raised near Pensacola so surely be traveling your way some and thanks for the slip invite.
I here what your saying about soft chines. And since my big water dreams are still 8 years or so away when I retire..... it may be wise not to push the full displacement hull so hard right now. But I have no urge to get up on plane so 130 hp max single or twins works for me. Leaning twin because I'll be single handing .... I expect.

I also really like the full aft stateroom for liveaboard purposes which limits me as well.

I have some real pondering and looking to do but thank goodness I have 11 months or so before I plan to make the jump.
Ken1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I loved the Wooden Boat Show in Madisonville. Took my trawler up there once for a week stay. You can run east or west from there, and you can arrange a short term crew using friends or family to get you through the Mississippi River locks because you DO NOT want to try that by yourself. A pair of naturally aspirated Ford-Lehman 120s in a 42 burning 3-4 GPH at cruise speed is a hard combination to beat. I did it all over the place until I got older and more impatient and decided I like this non-cruising hot rod better.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:04 AM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Synergy
Vessel Model: Hershine TriCabin Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1220 View Post
I've been stalking this site for about a year....
My goal is an Early 80's, 42ish footer, full displacement cruiser for living on and then cruising the Caribbean
Welcome. This is a great group and I learn more from my fellow boaters than any where else. Nothing beats their personal experiences.

I bought my first boat at age 61. Yes, first boat ever (not even a row boat before that).

I bought a 1985 Hershine 38 foot twin diesel Trawler with full width complete walk around, pilot station in both salon and fly bridge, full size galley and refrigerator. The boat I bought is still the best decision I could have made, esp for the price I paid.

Before I went shopping, I made a list of features I wanted (easy fly bridge access, rear master, full galley, diesel heater, access space in engine room, etc. etc). My father-in-law was an experienced boater and mechanic, and he helped me with this list, mostly by telling me what to avoid. In the end, he was right on nearly everything.

If you don't have a father-in-law, then lean on us here at Trawler Forum. Ask questions....

Regardless, shop and shop. All the brokers have pictures and descriptions of their offerings online, but you have to walk on board to get a true assessment. Nothing beats a live tour. Its easy to buy a boat, but tough to sell it. Make your choice based on whats important to you.

No boat will arrive perfect, trouble free, and ageless. You will always have tasks, so if you are already looking forward to working on your boat, you will be fulfilled.

Some of my friends ask me if I would like to buy waterfront property. My response is that I already have waterfront property but the scenery changes constantly whenever I crank up the engines. And a house has the same wear-and-tear issues (heat/AC, electrical , septic, erosion, water leaks, deteriorating wood and window seals, appliance failures, etc). So, I am happier with my boat than waterfront, with lower taxes, no lawn to mow and no homeowners association.

Best of fortune and ventures...
Old 08-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #20
Guru

Cheechako, your advice in everything except the troubles of waterfront property outweighing the joys is just flat out wrong.