Soon to be a trawler noob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glymroff

Vessel Name
Boondoggle
Vessel Make
TaChiao 35
Hello all,

We are in contract for a 1985 CT 35, with survey and sea trial next week.

We have been lurking here for a year or so, and look forward to our transition to the 'darkside'.

The boat is in Rhode Island and we are from VT. We'll be taking the boat to Mallets Bay for the summer and south for the winter, if everything goes well with the survey.

Would be interested in an experienced person to show us the 'ropes' of handling a trawler and getting the systems squared away. The PO is ill and will not be able to convey any knowledge of the vessel.

We've cruised for the last 9 years every winter as far south as Martinique, and last couple of years in the Bahamas (which is our favorite).

I only mention this to indicate we aren't new to cruising, just trawlers.

Looking forward to helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

Sounds like we are on a parallel path. We stopped sailing and bought a 1985 trawler. Miss the quiet days of actual sailing. Don't miss going fwd to the mast or bow in crappy conditions.

PO had passed away and was unable to do any maintenance over a period of years. Boat was in original 1985 condition. Transmissions were seized, electronics non-existent, original iron fuel tanks. Estate wanted out so price was heavily discounted.

Biggest issue was thousands of small blister. Decided to sand, reglass, and barrier coat. Major job. I am slowly updating all systems. Rebuilt both transmissions. Have the twin lehmans up to snuff. New coolers, raw water pumps, groco filters, racor filters, new exhaust systems. New starter and fresh water pump on port engine. Former engineer so I enjoy the renovation and the next ten years should require nothing more than checking the oil.

We plan to go up the Hudson to Champlain next year. Maybe on to Montreal. We really enjoy the space. Noise not so much. Only thing that keeps me up is thinking of a bilge full of diesel when the tanks let go. I keep the bilge pump switch in manual mode. Hopefully I will get a seepage warning and not a sudden catastrophic failure when punching through heavy weather.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your new baby.

Welcome, I am new here as well, I have a larger learning curve than you. I look forward to reading your posts.

Bob

Hello all,

We are in contract for a 1985 CT 35, with survey and sea trial next week.

We have been lurking here for a year or so, and look forward to our transition to the 'darkside'.

The boat is in Rhode Island and we are from VT. We'll be taking the boat to Mallets Bay for the summer and south for the winter, if everything goes well with the survey.

Would be interested in an experienced person to show us the 'ropes' of handling a trawler and getting the systems squared away. The PO is ill and will not be able to convey any knowledge of the vessel.

We've cruised for the last 9 years every winter as far south as Martinique, and last couple of years in the Bahamas (which is our favorite).

I only mention this to indicate we aren't new to cruising, just trawlers.

Looking forward to helpful suggestions.

Thanks in advance...
Welcome to the TF.... I used to sail on Lake Champlain every summer when I was growing up. I have family in Burlington. My cousins the Pages have been members of the Malletts Bay Yacht Club for a long time. Will be up there for a family reunion end of July sans boat.

Working on learning to handle our first power boat. We are new cruisers. Hope to take my boat up there one of these days to do the Upper Loop. There is lots of info and good advise on here.

Hope to see you on the water,

Heather and Mack
2000 Donzi Z275 Express Cruiser
2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Dually

Sounds like we are on a parallel path. We stopped sailing and bought a 1985 trawler. Miss the quiet days of actual sailing. Don't miss going fwd to the mast or bow in crappy conditions.

PO had passed away and was unable to do any maintenance over a period of years. Boat was in original 1985 condition. Transmissions were seized, electronics non-existent, original iron fuel tanks. Estate wanted out so price was heavily discounted.

Biggest issue was thousands of small blister. Decided to sand, reglass, and barrier coat. Major job. I am slowly updating all systems. Rebuilt both transmissions. Have the twin lehmans up to snuff. New coolers, raw water pumps, groco filters, racor filters, new exhaust systems. New starter and fresh water pump on port engine. Former engineer so I enjoy the renovation and the next ten years should require nothing more than checking the oil.

We plan to go up the Hudson to Champlain next year. Maybe on to Montreal. We really enjoy the space. Noise not so much. Only thing that keeps me up is thinking of a bilge full of diesel when the tanks let go. I keep the bilge pump switch in manual mode. Hopefully I will get a seepage warning and not a sudden catastrophic failure when punching through heavy weather.[/QUOT

Purchase a “smart” bilge pump switch. It will pump water but not oil or diesel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom