Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Welcome Mat
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

City: Pilot Mountain
Vessel Name: ThistleDew
Vessel Model: 2014 Keywest !*FS
So, I'm told there is a wealth of knowledge with no lines attached?

Hello to the nare-do-wells, dreamers, and the odd occasional craftsman rumored to be haunting this IP address.

Scars here. ( you'll get that story when I get to know you better )

I'm a semi-retired, electrician, machine tool service engineer, database administrator, computer guy and professional tech trainer. I never met a stranger, I'm about impossible to piss off, I like dogs, and I'm the most curious person I know. ( take that as you might ).

Yup thirty-five years in industry I still haven't learned all the good stuff,.. yet, so; I enrolled in machinist school last year. I'm learning how to make useful little pieces of metal out of big unuseful pieces of metal. Happy to report that while I have been responsible for some rather loud noises, more than a few strings of colorful language, and some decidedly soiled undergarments; no one has been seriously injured in the process. Thinking maybe I could have athird, forth, maybe sixth, I forget how many,... career.

Then I (wshe) decided, that while we really enjoy our little center console fishing boat, if we are gonna retire the way we hope to,... I better say, "forget another career, I need to build our trawler."

So, I've poked around the interweb thingy a little and read a book by some guy named Chapman, another by a fellow named Calder, some by Buehler, and Roberts, and part of one by some off the wall fellow named Colvin. I've been a draftsman, CAD designer, and recently moved into CAM design using MasterCam. Lofting, I get, welding, yeah passable, just rusty. Woodworking, tile, auto body work (Dad was a custom car artist) HVAC, and carpentry, yup ( got the tools and scars to prove it ) Plumbing and masonry are the only two trades I really don't get along with. Plumbing leaks, cinderblocks are heavy. Guess I'm gonna have to hire the through hulls and the ballast loading done.

So that is my dissertation on me. I won't talk too much about myself anymore forever and ever Amen. And if I do, feel free to direct my attention to this, my first post.

We think we want something in the 36-40' range raised wheelhouse. Something between one of Buehler's DD and a TY43. Can't decide on steel, or good old-fashioned wood. Don't know enough yet to decide. Then there is the, do you want to spend your retirement building a yacht or yachting? question.

What I come here hoping to get enlighted about are the things I will be glad to have learned here, on the cheap and easy way. What works, what doesn't, where is it frugal to substitute bits from HD instead of paying the $$$$ at the chandlers; and when is it a prelude to death by stupidity? Whos designs build better, where do you milk an extra knot out of a hull? Can a 40' trawler really do 8 knots with "pushme" sails and a 40hp Yanmar idling at a gallon an hour? What are the best recipes for sea-gull? And other important stuff like how to document a boat without paying 30% of what it cost to build it in taxes. When approaching southeast of disorder from the northwest do you in-fact sail through dis-disorder, or order-dis, or even dis-order-dis? I bet there is someone here, who knows the answers ( or at least would say they do ) to most all these questions.

Looking forward to an education, a few good stories, and hopefully a lot of new friends. -- Scars -- oh and by the way, if you folks don't talk about building boats here, could someone please direct me to someplace that does? and in that case, I'll be in touch in about four years.
Scars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Scars, welcome to TF. I think I'm just gonna pop some popcorn in the microwave (still haven't exactly figured out what makes them work!), relax in my recliner and watch this thread for awhile.

I'm not a trawler owner but these guys and gals (Hi WifeyB!) let me hang out here and be a social climber. I've been a boater for many years and I like to think it's many years of experience, not one year's experience over and over again.

Most everyone on here is a helluva lot smarter than I am, but don't let them get you into a "discussion" about which anchor is the best or gun control.

Again, welcome. Gotta run, the microwave just dinged.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Scars, What kind of anchor will you have on your boat

Might as well open the game! Kidding, Welcome Scars, sounds as though you are going to contribute good stuff to this awesome bunch of multi-culture cast of sea going pirates, one and all. One thing you can take to the bank, They are all honest in opinion,steadfast in comradely,truly dedicated to encouraging and supporting all things "Trawlerly".

Welcome.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Aye, Scars - Another Odd Bod!

Now that I've said HI!

Welcome. So you don't like masonry... too bad. It keeps ya young!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Well, if you build a boat half as well as you write, I believe you're going to be just fine...

Welcome aboard!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Welcome aboard. This should be interesting.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum! Once upon a time I wanted to build a Diesel Duck. Spent a fair amount of time doing my research. Came to the conclusion that I didn't know what I didn't know. Reading books and talking to imaginary friends (people on the Internet ), only helps some. Only experience helps you know what you don't know. The knowing part refers to what you and the Mrs. want and need. There's a big difference between 36 and 40' when considering the interal space of a boat.

I found satisfaction from finding my boat (took years), refitting it, and making it what I wanted. I would have been disappointed with the DD I had originally selected. Nothing wrong with the DD, I just didn't know what I didn't know I would want. I like to think I was able to buy my second trawler first by spending a lot of time visiting boats for sale.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #8

City: Cape Town
Vessel Name: First Lady
Vessel Model: Beneteau First 345
Welcome to the forum Scars!
Lars Kessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: It's really simple. Which do you enjoy most? Building or boating? Don't know your age, but for any of us, there's a limit to how much time we have and especially how much healthy time to enjoy to it's fullest. Also, what about family?

If you truly love the building part, then it might not matter to you that you never get to launch it or that by the time you do your peak time to really enjoy it has passed. If boating is your thing though, it might not bother you that you didn't build as there is plenty of crap to work on with a boat someone else built, especially if it's been around a bit.

What do you want to spend the next five years doing? The years you can be more sure of, the years you'll be the healthiest you'll ever be?

Whatever it is, do it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Looking forward to your posts.

By the way, I've done a fair amount of masonry. CMU are, indeed, heavy, but you don't have to decide which one to pick up next and try it in place. Stone masonry is heavier than CMU, but the 'units' are often smaller. Rule #1: If you pick it up, it goes in the wall! I've done a lot of stone 'pointing', too. Interesting how joints you found difficult, interesting, ugly or pretty are completely impossible to find the next day.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
Guru

Buy and fix don't build unless you really like building and are willing to pay extra for the privilege. Even better than buy and fix find a boat that a knowledgeable previous owner has put into good shape. Then again I have come across a few individuals who liked building so much that when they finished a project they could not wait to sell it off to start another. One of the hardest parts of selecting a boat and the life style it entails is knowing yourself and matching the boat to your actual needs be they real or imagined.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

Exclamation Wow Whata Welcome, friendly bunch ain'tcha?!

Just a quick reply to all. Thanks for the gracious welcome(s)

Don't be insulted if I don't respond to everyone, I'm more of a doer than a talker and even though I do enjoy a good yarn ( and lively BS session ) I'll be outdoors, in the shop, or at the college when the weather lets me. So, my participation here will be directly and inversely proportional to the number of sunny days in any given week,.... and how many friends need a hand.

I have many queries and inquiries to pose to you all, and I may just have to post a list and see what the consensus(es) are/is.

My wife and I do know, who we are, and what we want, and at the risk of sounding the bore, I'll tell you guys ( later ) what we have done both on and off the water, what "the dream" boat is and where we are headed. Then maybe you can help us figure out how to go about making it real.

One of the aforementioned authors, ( I forget which one ), had a formula for the perfect sized boat. It should be able to be crewed by one, sleep two, have dinner with four, drinks with a half dozen and monthly installments to none. Or words to that effect. I like it.

The only point of contention between my wife and I seems to be the necessity for sails. Sails are nice. But they are nice like cats. They are nice on someone else's boat. ( vermin that purr, IMHO) We've sailed some and I enjoy it; but like one enjoys three-legged potato sack races, a rousing game of gin rummy or even bowling. All fine endeavors and loads of fun to be sure, but as a means of reliable, schedulable transport? ah, no.

No worries though, our elder son, a strapping 6'2", 30-something just bought a Lagoon 410 that needs refitting and updating. He and his fiancé are sailing it to our "adopted" daughter's and her husband's home in Charleston for haul out. I intend to send my wife up that 60' stick in a stiff breeze just as soon as I am able. Then we'll see if she'd rather be handling sheets and reefing rag or hearing a reliable fuel-oil burning, boat mover humming away below decks. Don’t get me wrong, close hauled with the leeward lifelines slicing off whitecaps on a sunny day is a blast! But when it's 34 degrees, blowing force 8 and there are razor rocks 200 yards to lee and we gotta go, right now. Ah,.. sails? um, … no.

OK, maybe a little flopper stopper sail, or some "push me somewhere downwind" linen hanging above the pilot house would make her happy. Nah, I bet I can get her, her sailing ‘fix’ when we visit the kids on their boat. Meanwhile, I can let the diesel hum and the autopilot and gps navigate. AND I can chat with you all. Yeah, that beats ‘diss-en-Gordian-ing’ a jib sheet from a busted halyard block up 60’ with 8’-10’ banging on the beam. Me & Mine all snug in bed in our trawler, let ‘er blow. Yet another quandary worked out, go sail with the kids, come home and cruise on the trawler.

Geeze haven’t pitched the tent yet and I’m already exhausted., Anyway, gotta go put some more work into the porch roof before the boss gets home. Serious questions next time, till then, Fowling whether and fare sees!! – Scars -
Old 10-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post

My wife and I do know, who we are, and what we want, and at the risk of sounding the bore, I'll tell you guys ( later ) what we have done both on and off the water, what "the dream" boat is and where we are headed. Then maybe you can help us figure out how to go about making it real.

-
Wifey B: You know who you are and what you want? Yes, she wants a sailboat and you want a trawler. If it's resolved by one coercing the other, then it will be a bad solution. You need to resolve that issue before you talk about making it real.

Edit: Or buy two boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Aye, Scars - Another Odd Bod!

Now that I've said HI!

Welcome. So you don't like masonry... too bad. It keeps ya young!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Welcome Scars.

Don't mind me Irish bro Art. He loves to get dirty!

Cheers Mate

H.

Art me Irish bro. Masonry may keep you young, but you will have an old back Mate.

Cheers

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #15

City: Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
I intend to send my wife up that 60' stick in a stiff breeze just as soon as I am able. Then we'll see if she'd rather be handling sheets and reefing rag or hearing a reliable fuel-oil burning, boat mover humming away below decks. – Scars -
That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. Why would you intentionally try to traumatize her like this?
MangoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post
Welcome Scars.

Don't mind me Irish bro Art. He loves to get dirty!

Cheers Mate

H.

Art me Irish bro. Masonry may keep you young, but you will have an old back Mate.

Cheers

H.
H - Me fist fighten Irish Bro!

I'm 65 with strong back, hips and knees. Would be pleased to step back in the ring [as I'm confident you would too]. However, me eyes are now poor at best without glasses and I'm sure my knuckles would soon have searing pain. Otherwise... 3 on and 1 off would be a blast to play again.

PS: I do wear really good back brace when spending time lifting heavy masonry materials. Used to wear knee braces too... but since a few years ago began eating 2 to 4 bananas per day; need for knee brace disappeared. Potassium baby - does wonders!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
H - Me fist fighten Irish Bro!

I'm 65 with strong back, hips and knees. Would be pleased to step back in the ring [as I'm confident you would too]. However, me eyes are now poor at best without glasses and I'm sure my knuckles would soon have searing pain. Otherwise... 3 on and 1 off would be a blast to play again.

PS: I do wear really good back brace when spending time lifting heavy masonry materials. Used to wear knee braces too... but since a few years ago began eating 2 to 4 bananas per day; need for knee brace disappeared. Potassium baby - does wonders!
Scars, Sorry for the slight highjack of your post Mate.

Art me Irish two fisted brawling Bro.

I still do step back into the ring with some of the youngster at the gym just to keep them on their toes Mate. With your bad peepers just get in tight and work the body Mate or you will be saying. "Cut me Mickey!" So stay in the bloke's chest and you will be fine!

I just did some masonry work. Laid me some bricks, blocks and a concrete pad. A weeks worth of work and I must say, I would rather be in the ring with the youngsters. I eat me bananas daily and I still run 6 to 7 miles a day at about 8 minutes per mile Mate and I am just a wee bit younger then you. So keep eating your bananas!

Cheers.

H.
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Scar, I'm really looking forward to the argument you'll start when it's time to select your anchor, but it sounds like we're a long way from there.

As for building your own boat, I suggest you build the dinghy first. That may get the building lust out of your system. If it doesn't, keep building small boats until it does. In the mean time, buy a boat that's close to what you want and modify it to be your own.

By the way, I'm working on my sixth small boat. I have no desire left to build a big boat, but I think I'll keep building the little ones.

I know you don't like plumbing, but it is an essential part of a boat. That said, here is the book you need to read: https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...ds=peggie+hall
Old 10-07-2017, 11:24 AM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Scar, I'm really looking forward to the argument you'll start when it's time to select your anchor, but it sounds like we're a long way from there.

As for building your own boat, I suggest you build the dinghy first. That may get the building lust out of your system. If it doesn't, keep building small boats until it does. In the mean time, buy a boat that's close to what you want and modify it to be your own.

By the way, I'm working on my sixth small boat. I have no desire left to build a big boat, but I think I'll keep building the little ones.

I know you don't like plumbing, but it is an essential part of a boat. That said, here is the book you need to read: https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-B...ds=peggie+hall
Yes, Yes on the book! I am proud to keep a signed one aboard boat from The Head Mistress!
Old 10-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #20

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Scars, What kind of anchor will you have on your boat:Vbanghead::"
You mean anchors, Plural right? Goldielox Anchors of course, those are the kind I want.. What else is there? I'll rig mine with anchor rode tension sensors so when some drunk's electric dinghy OB causes Goldielox and myself to part company at 2:00 AM I'll know about it,..,, (I'm a very sound snoozer).