Old 03-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

City: Tampa bay
Vessel Model: 20' hydrasport
So I have come to the right place...

Hello All!
I am not sure where to begin... I have been boating all of my adult life and have owned many boats. All around 20-22 ft. My wife and I have 2 young children age 6 & 3 and one on the way. The Fun is just beginning! We live on a lake and ski and tube so thats why we have a boat that is size appropriate for our lake. However, our goal is to have a bigger boat also that we can overnight! Camp if you will. I have been so completely torn about what to do. As we all know there is no perfect boat to do everything!
I enjoy fishing but it seems as though in this stage of life with the younger kids that my fishing poles just hate me. The good news I still love being on the water. And as a family were are content with island hopping and cruising around (even if trawl'n). We have looked at many boats: cabin cruisers, older motor yachts, trawlers, sedans, expresses, convertibles, even houseboats. We have looked at several older silvertons. What i keep coming back to the cost of running them and maintenance. My favorite style of boat esthetically is the ultimate sexy sportfisher/convertible. However there are some sexy trawlers out there as well and know that there very economical to run. I believe that we could make a forward berth and bunk beds style set up work. May be the pull out sleeper couch as well.
I would like to know from you guys what type of boat and which direction or style , manufacture would you recommend? We would like to be around 32-40 ft.
Djpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The answer (usually) is the boat they already have.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djpat View Post
Hello All!
I am not sure where to begin... I have been boating all of my adult life and have owned many boats. All around 20-22 ft. My wife and I have 2 young children age 6 & 3 and one on the way. The Fun is just beginning! We live on a lake and ski and tube so thats why we have a boat that is size appropriate for our lake. However, our goal is to have a bigger boat also that we can overnight! Camp if you will. I have been so completely torn about what to do. As we all know there is no perfect boat to do everything!
I enjoy fishing but it seems as though in this stage of life with the younger kids that my fishing poles just hate me. The good news I still love being on the water. And as a family were are content with island hopping and cruising around (even if trawl'n). We have looked at many boats: cabin cruisers, older motor yachts, trawlers, sedans, expresses, convertibles, even houseboats. We have looked at several older silvertons. What i keep coming back to the cost of running them and maintenance. My favorite style of boat esthetically is the ultimate sexy sportfisher/convertible. However there are some sexy trawlers out there as well and know that there very economical to run. I believe that we could make a forward berth and bunk beds style set up work. May be the pull out sleeper couch as well.
I would like to know from you guys what type of boat and which direction or style , manufacture would you recommend? We would like to be around 32-40 ft.
Where do you intend to keep and use this boat?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Master and Commander

What are you "givens" (musts) and your "druthers" (wants)? How will you use the boat? Why do you want a boat?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

Yea that's a no brainer! I'm sure there are some ideas of which boats to start with though.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:39 PM   #6

I plan on keeping in a marina. I would like to be able to comfortably sleep the family. Again my kids are very young. They don't require much space now. This will probably not be our forever boat, but something to get us started to overnight on. I am open to gas or diesel. As far as uses, we will probably remain on the west coast of florida for now and island hop fairly close to which ever marina we chose Anywhere from tarpon springs to St Petersburg beach. My in-laws live in Fort Myers and may make that run. The dream would be Bimini one day! One day!

I like the idea of a flybridge But it must have ample room for the whole family up top to sit. Head room to accommodate me as I am 6'2". That goes for the shower too. Generator. A place to hand a grill. At least one private berth.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Master and Commander

About the only things my boat has going for it (your criteria) is that it has wide, level decks with highly-protective handrails, and my 6'2" sons have adequate headroom. It doesn't have a flying bridge and two engines (which most boats this size do) nor two bedrooms and two toilets. Many TF members have better candidates.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:22 PM   #8

Thank you Mark for your replies! I hope to hear from others.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
You are in a great area for cruising and trying out boats. Jung Charters and Chitwood Charters (both whom we have used) in Sarasota, and Southwest Florida Yachts in Cape Coral have a wide variety of cruising boats to choose from, and can arrange a captain and training if needed. This is the absolute best way to determine what you really want and need, and if your family really enjoys cruising to begin with (and what they need to enjoy it). Plus it gets you away from the computer and out on the water!

Given the cost of buying, maintaining, insuring and berthing a boat, chartering is cheap and worry free. Especially if you are not going to use the boat ALL the time. We chartered for many years and when it came time we wanted to buy and go cruising full time, we knew exactly what our personal requirements were. The emphasis there is on personal. We bought the perfect boat for us and our use, but it is far from the perfect boat for many if not most people.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. D I was hesitant to suggest anything due to you're "broad" desires. I think Mr. c has hit upon the BEST option at this point-charter (with a captain initially). With 2 1/2 children under 10, your hands are going to be full, FOR SURE!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #11

Thank you for the replies RT and caltex. What are the cost to charter with or without a captain. Is it possible to overnight with the captain? I don't think I want that.
This is going to be a trial to see if we will truly use it a lot to camp on or overnight. Like I said I'm sure it won't be our forever boat. I just want something to get started on. I really don't want a cabin cruiser! We like the fact that the convertible and trawler style boats give you the openness and window views while inside. To me the cabin cruisers just seem to be a confined space once below the deck. They certainly can accommodate the overnight needs but... Want something more. In the size that I am looking for the 32-40'. There has to be a some that will work? Suggest on brothers and sisters!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
Guru

Talk with the charter companies, better yet go visit them. They are pleasant people who have been doing this a long time. They'll find a way to get you where you want to be, they are in business to get people on the water and happy.

I have no idea what will work for you and your family and what won't. Others will venture an opinion based on their own likes. But the charter guys have been getting families cruising for awhile and you can see some options in 3D. Now step away from the computer, and go get on some boats and out on the water!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 03-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

Caltex that is a great idea! They are not to far from me, certainly worth the time to walk on them.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Welcome DJPAT... you're getting great advice from experienced boaters. Most of us have put together a "must have" list based on how we'd use a trawler, and we have adjusted from there. You're near Tampa, so here's a site/company that rents trawlers and I'm sure they'd be helpful: Yacht rental in Southwest Florida.

Also, I'd recommend going through a Captain's course - SeaSchool teaches in your area. Frm-Home page

Good luck, and please post pics as you narrow your seach.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #15

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Welcome DJPAT

You have not said new or used and you have not said a price but let me gamble anyway. I think you want to set your low end at 32 and high at 38 feet for this move. It knocks out quite a bit but centers more on the likely. Below 32 is less comfortable for a family - yes you can do it but why not get it right? above 38 and you start down the trail of a full time liveaboard so this is overkill for your needs. I like diesel but gassers are more common and cheaper to buy under 38. Because I have Bayliner I can say there are several models (motoryacht not express) of used in that size range that should come in from $15,000 to $50,000 They all have a lot of bang for the buck.
Here is a 32 diesell at $29,000 in Florida
1986 Bayliner 3270 Diesel Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I have seen gassers go at under $10,000
I have no financial interest in nor can I speak for the actual quality of any specific boat, but I can say these types are worth a look.

There are also numerous other brands which may be set up for a planing hull but can be run as a trawler with close to trawler efficiency

Here is a gas Mainship at under $25
1988 Mainship Aft CAbin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Here is a very pretty Albin at $39
1988 Albin 34 Aft Cabin Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Anyway - you are in great boat country and lots of choices around you - take the family and get on a few of these - good luck
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Maybe something like this, google "Albin 27 family Cruiser"
Old 03-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship View Post
Welcome DJPAT... you're getting great advice from experienced boaters. Most of us have put together a "must have" list based on how we'd use a trawler, and we have adjusted from there. You're near Tampa, so here's a site/company that rents trawlers and I'm sure they'd be helpful: Yacht rental in Southwest Florida.

Also, I'd recommend going through a Captain's course - SeaSchool teaches in your area. Frm-Home page

Good luck, and please post pics as you narrow your seach.
Earl, yes, that first link is to Southwest Florida Yachts, who I mentioned in my first post; they do have a good reputation, we know some happy customers.

My wife and a friend of hers took a course from SeaSense down there. Highest recommendation! In fact they used one of the Grand Banks we chartered from Jung.

Sea Sense Sailing and Powerboating School

Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
Guru

With 3 kids, I suggest you buy the biggest boat you can afford. Keep in mind that as the kiddies grow, they take up more space.

When I bought, I was torn between a 36 and a 42 footer. I took the 36 and it was fine for a while until my 2 kids got bigger, then it was tight aboard. How I wish I would have chosen the 42.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #19

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Roger Caltex... I have friends who rented the GB from Southwest FL Yachts - had a great time, and spoke highly of the service they received.. I got my USCG license through Sea School and though it was a grueling experience, I learned a lot about safe boating. Where are you in NC?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #20

Thanks for the replies!
Earl I have always loved that Mainship design. To me its the closest thing to the convertible/sportfish look with way more room and design. I really like the flybridge deck. It seems to have lots of room.
I have plans to go get my 6 pack in the very near future. I have always wanted it and now more than ever.

Bob- I have looked at several planing hulls (Silvertons and Carvers) with the thoughts of operating them as trawlers. We plan to do very short island hopping trips locally on the central west coast of florida. Then back to the marina for overnight and possible do it all again the next day. My wife and kids enjoy cruising at slower speeds anyway. That was the main reason I began to look at trawlers in the first place. Thanks for all the links...this is fun and really getting the wife and I excited.
Thanks