Old 11-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Vessel Model: 38.5 Aft Cabin Cruisers
New Members

My wife and I have been on the water sailing for over 35 years and we are now at this point of our lives looking for iris a trawler probably around the size of 35 to 40 foot. What would those of you in the Forum recommend as far as the name brand and the age of boat that would be suitable for our purposes we live in New Bern North Carolina and will be doing some Coastal boating and some River boating as well.
Drummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. $$ budgeted? Name brands don't matter as much as condition IMO. Age and condition will determine price asked. Nice area you're in y'all...
Old 11-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
We need a little more info. I always recommend my 36 Albin, the likes of which can be had for less than $40,000. However not everyone is as financially constrained (broke) as I am. There is a really, really nice K.K. listed in this Forum for $137,000. Or you could go newer for a half million or more.

Fill in a few blanks for us, please.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. You need to make a list of must/want to have and must not haves. Then see what boat fits your needs best. Don’t be as concerned about brand but rather condition of the boat. Good luck.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #5
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I recommend looking into Tollycraft. Welcome aboard TF!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Let me add my welcome and expand on our request for additional info to better help out.

Are you handy and plan to do a lot of DIY on the boat, or are you in a position to offer employment to the local boat world artificers with your checkbook?

Do you plan on living aboard in all weathers for lengthy periods?

From your post I am guessing seakeeping assists like paravanes and fin stabilizers are not needed while floppers stoppers for use in rolly anchorages might be desired.

Year round boating in your area would require adequate heating and cooling which most likely would involve an adequate generator to run a couple of reverse cycle air conditioners. We do not see a lot of diesel heating systems on the lower east coast, but you might run into one when looking for THE boat.

On the nights you do not need AC and thus no genny, there is the concern for adequate overnight, or even a day or two, refrigeration during "silent running" anchorages. One solution I liked on my boat was a propane/110 VAC refrigerator. Cooking with propane is an additional idea to consider IF you are prone to silent anchoring for periods of time. If you prefer more time in marinas, then all electric works just fine.

You probably know all this from your years of sailing, but trawlers tend to be set up a bit differently; so the above is offered in that spirit.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
You really have to be honest with how you will use the boat. And then match that with the boat. The main reason you see marinas full of boats that are not used is that the owners were not honest with themselves in how they were going to use the boat. ALSO....you need a boat that you are "happy" with. I say that because if you buy an expensive boat and all you worry about is the expense of owning and operating it and are afraid to use it because it might get scratched, then you bought the wrong boat. If you buy a (too)big boat and you don't take it out because it is a PIA to get it in and out of the slip, then you bought the wrong boat. If you buy a boat that has a deep draft and then you don't take the boat out because the draft is not conducive to the area that you will use the boat, then you bought the wrong boat.

There is the dream....and then there is reality. The closer those two are together the more successful that you will buy the right boat. IOW, like I started out with, you have to be REAL with yourself in how you are going to use the boat. No reason to buy a Nordhavn if all you are going to do is day trip and weekend in fairly shallow waters.

Coming from sailing, then you know that Hunters sometimes get a bad wrap. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Hunter sailboat if you use for what it was meant to be used for....daytripping and weekending. And what a great boat it is for that. I would take a Hunter for that over a double ended Tayana or Hans anyday. Those boats are tight inside and a pain in the ass to maneuvber in tight quarters. Obviously, if I were bluewater cruising it would be the other way around. Fit the boat to the mission!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Drummer Welcome aboard!
This thread is for you:

Boat Search 101
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1-a-14905.html
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Welcome aboard TF
My advice to those looking for the first time include...
Making written list of how you will use the boat, length of cruise time & distance, waters etc
List Musts, Wants & Don't wants.
Have DW / SO do the same separately.
Then compare and try to combine lists... ah the art of compromise (advice is fo it her way) no really don't even attempt to over rule the other half - seriously discuss and understand and defer where appropriate.
Then start the search. Walk docks and talk to as many ownerscas possible. Find out how they use the boat, what they like the most / least for their cruising style.
Most boaters love to talk about their boats & cruises and many will offer a tour.
Keep notes and narrow the search.
Best to not fall in love with a boat if it causes blind spots but you will know when you find one that "speaks to you"
Lastly... involve the other half in the search and make it fun vs work.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: New Bern
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Vessel Model: 38.5 Aft Cabin Cruisers
We are thinking that a vessel that is between 35 and 40' would be ideal. As far as price range, we do not want to spend more than $65K. Of course we understand there are a multitude of variables such as condition, year, and amenities. One of our "must haves" is a captain's quarters with a centerline berth so that we can walk around three sides. Another "must haves" is a second berth large enough for our guests.
Drummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #11
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer48 View Post
We are thinking that a vessel that is between 35 and 40' would be ideal. As far as price range, we do not want to spend more than $65K. Of course we understand there are a multitude of variables such as condition, year, and amenities. One of our "must haves" is a captain's quarters with a centerline berth so that we can walk around three sides. Another "must haves" is a second berth large enough for our guests.
My suggestion would be to look at double cabin, and sundeck trawlers such as Marine Traders, Albins, Island Gypsy, Grand Banks, and Monks. Then choose the best condition vessel that you can afford.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
My suggestion would be to look at double cabin, and sundeck trawlers such as Marine Traders, Albins, Island Gypsy, Grand Banks, and Monks. Then choose the best condition vessel that you can afford.
Excellent advice!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #13
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Drummer,
You have received some very good advice so far. Thanks for adding the "budget" as that greatly impacts the suggestions. For example, there is no point in recommending a Kadey Krogen 39, costing $300,000 + when your budget is $65,000!
As suggested, please take the time to think through how you will use the boat, and from that, come up with YOUR lists of must haves, nice to haves, and DO NOT WANT.

Also realize that all boats involve some sort of compromise. Find a boat that best fullfills your lists, and has been well maintained. Deferred maintenance, repairs, upgrades, and adding things to "make it your own" can greatly add to the overall cost, so leave some money for those inevitable things. That number will be much smaller if the boat has been well maintained.
Good luck and enjoy the process.