Salutations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flak

Hello all,

I'll be the residential new guy for a while.

A little about me; I'm in my mid-40's, they call me Flak. I work as a Metrologist in coastal Alabama and enjoy the water and riding my Harleys. I am kind of new to boating in general, but I did have a small Catalina 25 for a few years before recently selling it.

The plan, is to retire here within the next few years and move aboard a boat and cruise for a few years before settling down and doing the grand parent thing. In earnest, the original plan was a monohull sailboat. So we bought the Catalina to learn to sail and get a feel for it. Long story - short, my wife does not care for the lean or cramped space of a sailboat. I was told that I should look into Trawlers.

That is how I found you fine folks. I will try to minimize redundant questions, and will most likely spend my time scouring the older threads. But I am sure, I will have some questions as I get (hopefully) smarter.

Thanks.

Welcome

Welcome .
you came to the right place.

Welcome. This is a great place to hang out and learn. I've learned a LOT since I joined and these guys even let me, a non-trawler guy hang out here.

Welcome, Flak! I can tell by your OP you will do fine.

Plenty to learn via TF "search" feature.

Also can learn nearly anything you want by posting questions. There will be answers forthcoming and if needed answers from research by others to locate the answer.

Don't let the word/name/advertising-tag of "Trawler" confuse you. Nearly 100% on TF are [in the simplest form] just in some sort of "Pleasure Boat". Actual boat design's nomenclature is not as important nor meaningful or important as condition of boat and it's layout/accommodations regarding how/where you and yours will use the boat as well as the comfort needs apparent.

Happy Boat Search Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Hello from Foley

Hi Flak, I'm your neighbor, but actually working overseas right now. Welcome to the TF. The guys and gals here are quite helpful and friendly, and get even more "friendly" when you start talking about anchors and twin/single engines.

Good luck :popcorn:

Hi Flak, I'm your neighbor, but actually working overseas right now. Welcome to the TF. The guys and gals here are quite helpful and friendly, and get even more "friendly" when you start talking about anchors and twin/single engines.

Good luck :popcorn:

Hey - Don't leave out fly bridges, diesels, gassers and o/b's!! :dance:

Hot ta mention FD, SD, and P hulls!! :lol:

Thanks All for the warm reception. So far I have learned that I need to learn a lot.

Lots of acronyms that I keep running to the other forums and google over.

@ CapitaneR - I sure hope so. There is a lot of information here.

@ MurrayM - "Metrologist" is just a fancy way of saying a failed Algebra multiple times in college and high school, and God has a sense of humor. I use it every day now.

@ GFC - thanks. Maybe they will let me hang out for a moment as well.

@ Art - That is actually one of the main reasons I am here, to get smarter on capabilities, advantages (disadvantages) and the economical impact of various "nomenclatures" of the different boats, as we intend to retire a little earlier than "normal".

@makobuilders - I see you are in Qatar. Be safe over there. I went through Qatar a few years ago, coming in and out of the Sandbox. You get back, maybe we'll meet up for a beer. I learned my lesson on anchors and some engine stuff as I was learning sailboats. I won't fall for THAT again.

@ Art - That is actually one of the main reasons I am here, to get smarter on capabilities, advantages (disadvantages) and the economical impact of various "nomenclatures" of the different boats, as we intend to retire a little earlier than "normal".

Flak - Being a "Metrologist"... I believe you can probably see [via weight and measure of Earth's altering vital-natural conditions] that retiring a bit earlier might give you and yours some remaining good eco-times to enjoy. Before things tip, that is.

Plan to send you a PM. ;) :speed boat:

Boats – Forever!
Of necessity and for simplicity, floating devices were utilized by humans for transportation purposes long before the wheel was devised.
Via human ingenuity, intelligent boat designs became the natural outcropping.
Of necessity and for pleasure, floating devices that carry all manner of items will continue to be one of the most often used and intricately designed transportation devices.
Of pleasure, “power boating” and “sail boating” will always remain as one of the best recreational devices ever available, bar none!

Wifey B: Can't imagine anyone getting more flak than a meteorologist. Welcome aboard and hope you find the perfect boat for the two of you. Glad you listened to your wife. She's a smart woman. :)

Wifey B: Can't imagine anyone getting more flak than a meteorologist. Welcome aboard and hope you find the perfect boat for the two of you. Glad you listened to your wife. She's a smart woman. :)

Metrologist :socool:

@makobuilders - I see you are in Qatar. Be safe over there. I went through Qatar a few years ago, coming in and out of the Sandbox. You get back, maybe we'll meet up for a beer.

I will be visiting Foley next summer so hopefully we can get together and drink something more fun than Turkish coffee [emoji846]

BTW, Qatar has a violent crime rate of 1/10th the USA, so perhaps I should be the one saying “be safe over there.”

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom