sailor wants to go to the dark side....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arjan

Vessel Name
Ballena Blanca
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
Hi All,
I am a lifetime sailor and at the moment do most of my travels on the west coast of Mexico. I want to trade in my sailing catamaran for a trawler, I am looking at getting a DeFever 44 or something along those lines.

Arjan Bok

Hi All,
I am a lifetime sailor and at the moment do most of my travels on the west coast of Mexico. I want to trade in my sailing catamaran for a trawler, I am looking at getting a DeFever 44 or something along those lines.

Arjan Bok

When I suggested moving to a trawler from our old sailboat, my wife said, “morally speaking, those stinkpots don’t smell nearly as bad as they used to.”
Oldersalt

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be one good choice among many. Have fun looking and searching, Welcome Aboard.

pete

Hi All,

Arjan Bok

I made the transition from a Beneteau First 405 to our current CHB 41. I miss sailing, but I just got an Alerion 28 daysailer for my parents which fully scratches that itch. At least in SoCal, it was impossible to make much distance in a reasonable amount of time under sail, particularly heading north up the coast, and the trawler is vastly more comfortable under power. And at anchor.

What kind of catamaran do you have? I've always been interested in a sailing cat as a modern motorsailer that doesn't roll, but I understand that they're at their worst heading straight into a swell, at least under 50' or so. Interested to hear why you're interested in making the swap.

Truth be known there are many rag hangers turned stinkpot riders in this forum.
After owning a series of go fast gassers, first I crewed and then bought a sailboat. Totally enjoyed the slow travel experience especially under sail. However as the years passed it was time for more creature comforts, sailing is more work under way. IMO

Oldersalt That gave my wife a good laugh....and she agrees!

Last edited:
Socalrider I have a 43' custom performance catamaran that I build and launched about 14 years ago. she sails well but all catamarans have an uncomfortable motion going to weather. We stay at our house in California for the summers and escape the miserable weather by spending the 5 cold months in Mexico, there is rarely enough wind for making the trips up and down the coast so we rarely sail except for day sails in the Puerto Vallarta area. We end up using the boat as our house for half the year and even though a catamaran is stable and does not roll I want to move to a trawler for a more comfortable living arrangement The passages we do are usually under 250 miles and since it is our house and we are not getting younger a trawler makes more sense

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom