Sailor thinking of making a change in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erleichda

Vessel Name
Erleicha
Vessel Make
Ranger 20
Hello all you salty dogs. We are sailors with kids starting college in the coming years, now planning to spend part of the year living aboard to explore the Pacific NW. We've lived in Seattle and around Oregon for 25 years, learned our chops in the Puget Sound sailing and then bought a Catalina 30. After getting busy with older kids, we turned to Van life and trailer our Ranger 20 which has turned out to be more enjoyable than current fighting on the Columbia.

We are both bare boat captains and have chartered 40-45ft (mostly cats) in desirable tropical locations, and are now very interested in changing it up to a trawler. We have friends cruising in a Garcia 45 sailboat that are very much trying to change our minds as they tell us their stories from Ecuador to Hawaii and then Alaska in their alum hull.

However, we have a few chronic injuries and enough time on the water to realize our dreams of blue water passages aren't really that strong anymore.

In our summers in Puget Sound, we have motored every time we were up there sailing and just don't see the utility vs. a trawler for our needs in exploring up the inside passage and back. We hope to eventually leave Portland for the Port Townsend area as well.

We've always had an eye for the tugs (Ranger, Nordic) and Sedans. We just came across the Integrity 440, know a little about common builders such as Grand Banks, but not much. But we are jumping in here for your breadth of knowledge and experience because we have made mistakes enough in the past to know better than going it alone!

Appreciate your thoughts and advice!

M and R

However, we have a few chronic injuries and enough time on the water to realize our dreams of blue water passages aren't really that strong anymore.

I've had three bouts of kidney stones, I don't want to even think about being in the middle of the big pond when the next episode hits.

If this is the boat you are interested in, I'm sold on it. For some one to offer a stock boat with an enclosed cockpit is genius in the PNW and coastal BC. Having the rudder and prop protected by a boat length keel is also, for our log strewn waters, another excellent offering. Its a well rounded boat.

I like the Nordic Tug and Ranger Tug series but I find their cockpits are too short. I like the cockpit size of the Integrity 440. I think the Integrity 440 is a PNW winner. I think its the perfect boat for you to go to Alaska.

Welcome Aboard Erleichda. Lots of sailors make the jump to trawlers.
You will find some Integrity information in the Island Gypsy/Halvorsen section of the Builders Forums, well down the "front page". Mine is a redefined Island Gypsy 36, extended, redesigned, way more usable, and a better sea boat. An older model, with twins, and FB. Underwater, it is decidedly a Halvorsen hull. A 380 is the closest current equivalent.
The issues with Integrity seem to go to build quality, so survey any proposed purchase, new or secondhand. An example is the underuse of sealant under deck fittings, like the pulpit railings, as we found recently. Osmosis has been seen, but I think they moved to vinylester in the hulls, it should be resolved.
There are only 2 boats here in Aust., and I think 1 in USA, owned by TF members, but it could be more. The brand is slowly carving out a place in the market. You will find a range of boats listed for sale on www. boatsales.com.au, which may tell you more about the boats being marketed.
They are built by Jiang Hua in China, who built the later Island Gypsy boats, they`ve been in business probably 25 years, maybe more. I think Jiang Hua somehow kept the IG moulds when IG ceased operating as a brand, though the name has recently been revived for a new range of unrelated sporty looking boats

Last edited:
M and R, welcome to the funny farm.
Please dont overlook the American Tug. I have a 34/36 and I am satisfied now that I added additional storage.
The AT39 or the AT41 should more tha statisfy your needs. They are generally 2 stateroom boats. Not sure of the availability of the used ATs. The ATLs are made in Laconner Washington. Maybe they have one or two used, along the seawall.
Two points to consider,
1. NO external teak. You dont want to devote your life to keep your external teak 'perfect'.
2. NO teak decks. They eventually develop leaks.

Last edited:
I agree with OldDan. Don't overlook American Tug in your search, especially if you like Nordic Tug as you mentioned.
Many here like myself are former sailors. We operated our sailboat for over 10 years here in what is sometimes called the PNW area. Sailing in the shoulder seasons is often very good. Summer sailing is "spotty" at best. We ended up using our sailboat most often as a power boat with a stick on it. Heading north, there are many tidal rapids that have to be timed, so sailing to them is not very practical. Many larger waterways have fairly large tidal streams (2 knots +) and murphy is alive and well. It seems most often that both wind and current were against you under sail so making much headway was difficult. Just saying what we experienced during our 10 years. Don't get me wrong, when conditions are good, sailing here is fantastic. It is just that the opportunities for a good sail (while heading somewhere specific) are few (or were for us).

I don't know anything about the "Integrity" line, but hearing about potential "build quality" issues, would cause me to "be cautious". Definitely further deep investigation is in order if you really like that brand (for it's features).
Despite your obvious experience, I suggest taking the time to reflect on exactly what you expect from your new boat. How do you plan to use it? Guests, often or infrequently? Long trips and time frames or shorter (only a few weeks) trips? Ability to "get up and go" or just chug along at 7-8 knots? Etc. Etc.

Once you have that "nailed down", then you can determine the following lists: Must haves; Nice to have; and Do NOT wants. From those lists, features that are important to achieving your decided "usage" will become very apparent, greatly increasing the chances of getting a boat that you will be happy with. Like Dan stated, I also did not want (screwed down) teak decks (had glued down on sailboat), and did not want twin engines or exterior wood trim. The engine thing was for 3 reasons. With twins you have double the repair and maintenance costs (duh, 2 of them). In boats the size we looked at (around 40 feet), the ER was usually very cramped if the boat had twins, making accessing the engines difficult. With a single, usually the prop and rudder are better protected due to keel, etc. from debris strikes. We have a lot of floating and partially submerged debris (logs) often in this area.
Both American and Nordic Tugs are made in the US (Washington state) and have earned good reputations. Rangers are a totally different boat, and your "usage" stage will determine if they are right for you. The bad news is that there are not many American or Nordics for sale now, so supply could be an issue.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Integrity 440

For the OP, and anyone who might like to know more, here is a link to a 2015 Integrity 440 for sale in Australia:https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boat...tegrity-440-sedan-displacement-cruiser/254447
They are handsome and quite distinctive when seen on the water. There are a number of reports of smaller versions exploring the Australian east coast, which of course means navigating the Pacific Ocean.
Some pics give an insight to build quality, which looks quite good and well thought out,hopefully the breed improves as it goes forward.

I`m pleased with the open sea handling of my 386,way better than the IG36 it`s based on, which preceded it. A very comfortable boat to spend time on.

Last edited:
M & R,
Welcome to the TF asylum! Trawlering out of Port Townsend would be living the dream!

Your big cat experience would be similar with the addition of more rolling at anchor. For me, the big windows and a flybridge make it a constant show on the water, vs. peeping out of sailboat portholes.

If you can handle topside ladders up and down to the flybridge you will have the best seats in harbor. The after deck of a trunk cabin can work too. Finding a place with shade/bimini and a bit of breeze makes hot summer afternoons tolerable, or go below for a siesta.

A single screw boat with thruster(s) is a big help at the docks.

Good luck with the boat (& moorage) hunt!

If your heart is in bluewater read "Voyaging Under Power" . You can still make your dreams happen.

pete

If your heart is in bluewater read "Voyaging Under Power" . You can still make your dreams happen.

pete

M & R,
I have a copy of "Voyaging Under..." here if you are interested, just outside/downriver from PDX.

Also have "Rowing to Latitude," "Row to Alaska," and "Open Water Rowing."
I used to row around. These titles make me appreciate the convenience of my trawler even more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom