Old 08-26-2020, 04:10 AM   #1

City: Hong Kong
Question Sailor and Future Stink boat owner

Hello all!!

"Stink boat" is the term us sailors call Motorboats but I will be joining you soon.

My current boat is a Hans Christian 38 Traditional sailing Monohull. Its a seaworthy Blue water cruising boat and several have successfully completed circumnavigations.

One day I want to purchase a Blue water capable "trawler" but the famous ones aint cheap.

I've read about the Kadey Krogen 42 that has done such journeys and the owner mentioned the most important thing is the boats ability to handle a large following sea and an Autopilot that can as well. The rounded heavy displacement bilge was rolly but good for these heavy seas.

I have a dream to buy a cheap trawler in the USA, put a new motor in and a fuel bladder and motor her (across the Pacific) home to Australia where they are very expensive. Not many choices for boats of this kind in Australia plus I like an extreme adventure.

Are there any 80s Fibreglass designs that would be capable? Albin, DeFever, Grand Banks, or any other 70s to 90s designs that have the desired heavy displacement and True blue water capable? Lets say 100k or less. I am talking about the hull design, not the fuel capacity/range etc.
biggles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Willard 36 built from 1961 to 1970, arguably the first fiberglass production trawler. Full displacement, heavily ballasted (6000# ballast against 24,000# displacement), low A/B ratio, etc. Carries 500g diesel and sisterships have trekked as far as California to Hawaii, longest stretch in a circumnavigation. Burned 330 gallons over 14-days, roughly 6-kt average. This example appears to carry a decent sail plan for a modicum of stabilization and minor push for propulsion. $79k USD

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196...-vega-3694250/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Welcome to the forum!
When it comes to passage makers, the list gets rather small. Probably indicating what your budget would be, might help to narrow the field even further. Is this in the near future or more a long term plan?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Welcome to the forum!
When it comes to passage makers, the list gets rather small. Probably indicating what your budget would be, might help to narrow the field even further. Is this in the near future or more a long term plan?

Ted
Hey Ted. I think OP said $100k or less.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I didnt know about the Willard.

This is just a idea, something to plan and think about. Get a discussion going. Something for retirement in 3-5 years from now. I have a real budget that could afford me a early 2000s Nordhavn or Krogen, but I also have a dream to do a full restoration of an old Trawler (I've already done a full restoration of my Hans Christian)

For this crazy idea I wonder if there are any designs that would be capable, and I am aware there aint many.

Requirements would include, Fibreglass, steel or Alloy, 40-50 foot, Preferably not made with Ply or wood core (I've already resored a boat like this). Single or Twin is okay, but I would prefer a Single with a small Aux. Perhaps the new small Auxillary could push me slowly across flat oceans with small fuel consumption.

On my current 38 foot, 14 ton sailboat I motor around at 5-7 knots, so speed is not inportant. My late model Yanmar burns 2 liters per hour at over 4-5 kts and at Hull speed 7.5 knots @ 4 liters per hour. For the Trawler I would repower and Prop with a modern Commonrail Diesel aiming for a fuel burn of 4 liters an hour or less in flat seas. On paper its possible with that length and displacement.

I guess as long as the Hull is capable, all other stuff could be planned. i.e Cover large windows with timber, bladder Fuel tank etc for a one-off crossing.

I found this which would do the job, just curious of of makes and models. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...en-42-3565056/

Any other designs that might be worth a mention?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. This is just an adventure I have been thinking about for a while. Timeframe in the next 5 years. In retirement. Just a discussion to get ideas. Maybe there is no such thing as a Blue water trawler for under 100k. (prefer <50k purchase then install new engines) I did see a Krogan 42 for 85k at the moment on Yacht world.

Boat requirements. It’s a restoration project. Fibreglass, steel or alloy only. 40-55 foot. Single or twin. But ideally single with a small Auxiliary backup engine. Hull design to allow an Ocean crossing. Probably heavy displacement. Cheaper the better as I expect a restoration. I have budget for a 90’s Krogan but prefer a 70s to 80s design that’s suitable and cheap but needs a repower and refit (I enjoy these projects) I have restored a Taiwan built 80s sailboat with a ply core and don’t want to repeat that. Solid glass preferred.

Speed is not important and 5-7 knots is what I am used to. I need low fuel burn (after repower) I currently burn 2-4 litres per hour in my 38ft 14-ton full keeled sailboat. This gives me 4.5 knots@ 2 litres an hour (0.53 GPH) to 7.5 knots @ 4 litres an hour. (1.1 GPH) I would like to have super low burn in the Trawler at these speeds after repowering with a new modern common rail diesel.

Is it possible to use the small Aux engine for calm waters and slow cruising burning 2-4 litres an hour, and the larger main engine for other cruising? Perhaps both with feathering props.

Thanks in advance for the ideas.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles72 View Post
I ideally single with a small Auxiliary backup engine. Hull design to allow an Ocean crossing. .
You have a better chance of meeting/marrying Jennifer Aniston and convincing her a Nordhavn would be a keen wedding present than finding a displacement blue water trawler with wing engine for under $50k. You are not looking for a needle in a haystack, but two needles that must collide point-to-point: first, a deal has to come up. Second, you have to be in right place/right time. Given your seat in the bleachers, chances are you will not be the right-time guy.

Assuming you're in Hong Kong, your best bet is probably the multitude of boatyards in mainland China. My understanding is it's not uncommon for there to be unfinished projects sitting in the back lot.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 08-26-2020, 09:20 AM   #8
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Here is the deal. Any boat is capable of traveling to "down under". You just need the right weather and sea conditions. And enough fuel and a reliable engine. And a good portion of luck.

Whatever boat you buy, adding a new engine will run you around $25,000 to $35,000. Depending on if you rebuild, buy new and the degree of the upgrade.

Will a $50,000 boat, upgraded to a $100,000 dollar boat with new engine, extra tanks, better electronics, auto pilot etc, etc. Bring enough in Australia to offset the add on costs?

I understand that you are looking for an adventure and more power to you. Sounds like a great adventure. But might it be cheaper to buy one or maybe two nice trawlers and have them shipped over? If eventual profit is your motive. If you can make a tidy profit on a boat or two maybe you can buy a $200,000 K.K. for yourself and eventual sale. Be a much safer ride over.

BTW, I never advocate shipping boats but in this case it might make sense.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #9
Guru

City: gulf coast
Assuming 7500 miles, 4 mpg, you will need 2000 gallons of fuel or 14,000 lbs wight. Humm....
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Assuming 7500 miles, 4 mpg, you will need 2000 gallons of fuel or 14,000 lbs wight. Humm....
There's no need to motor nonstop. 2500 nm range plus 10% safety margin is plenty.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I would strike the any hard-chined boat, like Grand Banks off the list as just too uncomfortable if not dangerous for such an adventure.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I would strike the any hard-chined boat, like Grand Banks off the list as just too uncomfortable if not dangerous for such an adventure.
I'd say most boats built with hard chines aren't well suited to that purpose, but hard chines don't inherently define that. A diesel duck could cross an ocean like that just fine and those have hard chines.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #13
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd say most boats built with hard chines aren't well suited to that purpose, but hard chines don't inherently define that. A diesel duck could cross an ocean like that just fine and those have hard chines.
I should have said hard-chined semi-displacement or semi-planing, take your choice.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #14

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Welcome to the "dark" side, but plenty of us have super clean motors that don't stink anything up when we start 'em

An old Seaton might meet your needs. I found an example that's a bit above your 100k target, but its FD, 48', and claims a 4500 mile range...
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...awler-3596110/
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
Welcome to the "dark" side, but plenty of us have super clean motors that don't stink anything up when we start 'em

An old Seaton might meet your needs. I found an example that's a bit above your 100k target, but its FD, 48', and claims a 4500 mile range...
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...awler-3596110/
Yes, I add my own welcome to the dark side - we have cookies.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #16

City: Seattle
Hi. As someone who has crossed the Pacific in a sailboat and now cruises the Pacific Northwest in a trawler, I don't see why you'd want to do your crossing in a trawler, other than because you think you'll make a big profit on a resale in Australia. You're already a sailor so why not renovate a sailboat? You can of course sell it when you're done with it. Crossing in a boat of your size range will be much safer and more comfortable in a stable, self-righting sailboat than in a non-stabilized roll-y displacement power boat.
richard_wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #17

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
That Seaton has been for sale for 2+ years at that price. They might be open to a screaming low-ball offer, or not. :-)
I suspect that either the pictures do not reflect the condition, or that the engine is no longer supported as to parts.
JohnS
Old 08-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #18

Nice find on the Seaton. Looks good.

To answer some previous comments. I would not consider non stop across the Pacific.
Why undertake such a crossing in a power boat and not a Sailboat? I've done it in a sailboat and now want a powerboat, so why not?
I am not in this to import a boat and flip it for a profit, I will keep it and enjoy it. Good points re the semi-displacement hard chined boats. Point taken and taken off the list. I like the Diesel ducks but they dont really qualify for the sought out requirements cheap yet capable. Not really looking for 2 needles in a haystack, simply seeking out older designs that might be capable of such a journey. If no designs exist, so be it. Shipping boats to Australia is not what I want because the cost of shipping is more than the cost of diesel and the journey, and its the journey and adventure that I am wanting. I am not interested in getting a Project boat in China or dealing with Chinese companies.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:39 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I know of a Clipper 40 (think NP) which motored from HK to Queensland. Presumably you`d refit the US bought boat in USA rather than chance it for the ocean crossing. Buying something more decent than less in Asia makes more sense to me but doesn`t fit the dream, so that`s out.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #20

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Biggles,
one other thing if you haven't considered: A US boat will be set up for US electrics, for example our AC is 60Hz and I think Australia is 50 Hz and your AC plugs are different. I guess you could resolve this during your restoration but it might not be trivial (such as replacing an inverter), so just something to keep in mind for your budget...
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, ocean going, seaworthy, trawler