Romany 21 in Victoria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmcn

Hey all, thanks for the welcome to the forum. I'm sure my little vessel isn't the most trawler of trawlers, but there aren't many of these things in North America so I'm not sure where I'd fit in!

My boat is a Romany 21 roundbilge fisherman. Not the planing or semi-displacement version, but rather the ballasted displacement fella. Back at the end of June, this boat was given to me by a customer at work as it suffered from a low oil pressure problem. Turns out, this was actually a zero oil pressure problem caused by drill bit filings in the oil pan..... It looks like someone broke the dipstick off flush with the pan, drilled the rest out and left it. I tore the engine down for a rebuild but the crank shaft was ruined beyond repair, main caps scored, etc etc. I then sourced a replacement Perkins 4.108, rebuilt the BW gear, added a R&D heavy duty drive plate and slammed the driveline back in there after much cleanup of the engine hole in time for a bit of fun on the water in the month of August.

I've put about 15 hours on it of mostly local cruising, but theres a ton of cosmetic and mechanical work left to do. This boat is sand ballasted and I've gone ahead and removed the bulk of the sand around the engine. This will be replaced with sand bags so I can move them around.

Anyways, I've got to correct the exhaust pretty badly- exits under water at the transom and can hear it back-filling (even with the crap waterlock I have in there now) when the engine is off. Lots of cosmetic frp repairs to to take care of, upholstery, fuel tanks etc. But its a start!

Welcome aboard from a fellow Vancouver Islander, sounds like a great project...:thumb:

Welcome aboard :thumb:

I remember seeing the Romany when we were looking for a trailerable boat...is it the stout seaworthy fella with the stubby bilge keels/longish rolling chocks?

(Video didn’t work for me)

Always liked these pretty little boats. Will keep an eye out for her around Victoria.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom