Old 12-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #21

City: Trinidad
Vessel Name: Passagemaker
Vessel Model: Robert Beebe's original Passagemaker
Passagemaker Refit

Yes Passagemaker did go up the Amazon with the previous owners but unfortunately Peter passed away suddenly while Louise was in South Africa. The boat was left on a mooring buoy and her generator was stolen. So with no way to keep batteries charged her bilge pumps stopped working and she was leaking badly. There was a friend who would go out and pump her bilges once in a while but he was not able to keep up so Passagemaker had water up over the started motor and gearbox when we found her.
Divocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #22

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
PassageMaker refit

I read an article in Passage Maker magazine online and applaud you for doing it BUT, as others have said;

1) I don't know that you will stick with the project (I understand this isn't your 1st rodeo) but today's world isn't the same as when you did your other projects.

2) I don't do ANY social media either. Any of those platforms is wrought with issues that are like COVID, you can pick up the problems anytime.

3) Again, IT would seem that there are people making a bunch of money with YouTube showing a guy and a shapely gal just out cruising. Granted her bathing suit and/or other clothing is interesting/enticing (but who was looking) so a worthwhile project might garner some that would like to contribute. They could actually watch your progress and not feel they could be scammed.

Good luck with your project (ya, why didn't I think of this when I was dumping a truckload of boat bucks on our upgrades).
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:38 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle
@Nepidaeq makes a good point. If you want to have a popular YouTube site and raise money, then think like a businessman.

Pay a non-sleazy stripper $100 to record your first video, pretending to be your girlfriend. Skimpy clothing, bending over in tight shorts, cleavage and all that. Heck you might want to even make her the commentator since she’ll be the star of your show anyway.

However you’ll still need high quality content and excellent video production skills.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepidae View Post
I read an article in Passage Maker magazine online and applaud you for doing it BUT, as others have said;

1) I don't know that you will stick with the project (I understand this isn't your 1st rodeo) but today's world isn't the same as when you did your other projects.

2) I don't do ANY social media either. Any of those platforms is wrought with issues that are like COVID, you can pick up the problems anytime.

3) Again, IT would seem that there are people making a bunch of money with YouTube showing a guy and a shapely gal just out cruising. Granted her bathing suit and/or other clothing is interesting/enticing (but who was looking) so a worthwhile project might garner some that would like to contribute. They could actually watch your progress and not feel they could be scammed.

Good luck with your project (ya, why didn't I think of this when I was dumping a truckload of boat bucks on our upgrades).
You may not know that we will stick with this project till the end but I do! There is no way we would walk away from this now. If you knew us personally you would understand this. This boat is going to be our home,if we don't complete the project we will be homeless and that's simply not going to happen.
Other folks have suggested the idea of a YouTube channel - not everyone is content to watch beautiful babes all the time, some might enjoy more informative content. Like you said, this isn't our first rodeo and we've learned a lot along the way. I'm sure some of that knowledge might be worth passing along.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #25

You may not know that we will stick with this project till the end but I do! There is no way we would walk away from this now. If you knew us personally you would understand this. This boat is going to be our home,if we don't complete the project we will be homeless and that's simply not going to happen.
Other folks have suggested the idea of a YouTube channel - not everyone is content to watch beautiful babes all the time, some might enjoy more informative content. Like you said, this isn't our first rodeo and we've learned a lot along the way. I'm sure some of that knowledge might be worth passing along.
Old 12-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #26

This is not a sleazy project

I didn't start this thread because I needed sexist advice. My husband and I took on this project because we thought Passagemaker had integrity. The fine workmanship that went into her original build is timeless. That's the kind of beauty some people prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
@Nepidaeq makes a good point. If you want to have a popular YouTube site and raise money, then think like a businessman.

Pay a non-sleazy stripper $100 to record your first video, pretending to be your girlfriend. Skimpy clothing, bending over in tight shorts, cleavage and all that. Heck you might want to even make her the commentator since she’ll be the star of your show anyway.

However you’ll still need high quality content and excellent video production skills.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:43 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divocean View Post
I didn't start this thread because I needed sexist advice. My husband and I took on this project because we thought Passagemaker had integrity. The fine workmanship that went into her original build is timeless. That's the kind of beauty some people prefer.
Exactly so Diveocean, so you folk stick to your plan. I'm sure over time others will see the value in assisting such a worthy project, and without your having to adopt tactics to involve folk you are not comfortable with. You've jumped in - now just hang on..!
Old 12-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #28

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
PassageMaker refit

Yup, you guys stick to your guns.

I would add that there are some who when asked for money, the 2 individuals asking without any real credibility (we don't know you from Adam), might want something more than we'll do it our way don't get involved.

Asking for money changes the perspective for everyone.

Personally, I'll spend my money on my boat.

Good luck with your project.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #29

Comments well noted. We're not asking everyone for money, only those that are so inclined to help out with the Passagemaker Refit and feel it is a worthy cause. At the same time we're meeting lots of people that know about the boat and learning more about Passagemaker's history everyday.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Quote:
Comments well noted. We're not asking everyone for money, only those that are so inclined to help out with the Passagemaker Refit and feel it is a worthy cause. At the same time we're meeting lots of people that know about the boat and learning more about Passagemaker's history everyday.
If you haven't seen it, you might look at 'Sampson Boat Company' on youtube. He is doing a restoration of an old wooden sailing boat, and his youtube channel does not employ any of the tactics previously mentioned. What it does have is, well prepared, interesting and engaging content that sailors and boat enthusiasts can enjoy watching. It might be helpful as a model or an example for you to build more of an online presence with.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #31

Thanks! This is very helpful. Much appreciated
Old 12-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Please keep us posted on your progress. Pictures are always good. I saw Passagemaker when I was in Trinidad 2012/2013. You’ve come a long way.

Maybe you could start a new thread focused on you bringing her back to life? I’lll be following.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:28 AM   #33
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
I checked your facebook progress on Passagemaker, looks like a rewarding project. Goodluck! Not that you need the luck, you both appear to be hardworkers and that is what it takes.(And MONEY).
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:58 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"You may not know that we will stick with this project till the end but I do! There is no way we would walk away from this now. If you knew us personally you would understand this. This boat is going to be our home,if we don't complete the project we will be homeless and that's simply not going to happen."

Sounds like you are well motivated , so remember the rule,

90% of the work takes 90% of the time,

The remaining 10% also takes 90% of your time.

To my way of thinking the easiest solution for time and cash might be to re read Hiscock and other early sailing adventures for the simplest way to have an OK lifestyle .

EG. A fine fitting set of sun covers , that can stand in 30K of breeze , rather than a noisemaker and multiple air cond , works just fine.

I would search for a power windlass , the 3rd reset in a poor holding area , becomes a real downer.

GO SIMPLE, a hand held GPS will tell you what you need , far better than a sextant.

And remember to have fun!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #35

I think that remaining 10% is the part that I keep having to do over again 😜
Old 12-14-2021, 06:42 AM   #36

Keep it simple

I totally agree to the Go Simple lifestyle. The first boat we lived on was an old Fortuna 37 and we crossed the Atlantic from Africa to the Trinidad with only a handheld GPS, no chart plotter etc, only one battery and a manual windlass. You're right - pulling up that anchor by hand was a real pain but you sure learn the fine art of anchoring properly doing it the hard way!
Passagemaker was built with simplicity in mind and we plan to continue as such. The old Ford Lehman motor has no electronics and Chris was able to do an overhaul with the engine set up right underneath Passagemaker.
Attached Thumbnails
20211123_151852.jpg   20211123_152019.jpg  
Old 12-19-2021, 06:30 AM   #37
FF
Guru

IF you are going to stay south you might consider using house trailer roof paint on the deck house.

It is flexible and may help stop leaks , but most important the better grades (box store $25 a gallon) contains ground titanium which is great at reflecting heat.

Its white so hard on the eyes , but great at keeping the boat cool.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #38
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF you are going to stay south you might consider using house trailer roof paint on the deck house.

It is flexible and may help stop leaks , but most important the better grades (box store $25 a gallon) contains ground titanium which is great at reflecting heat.

Its white so hard on the eyes , but great at keeping the boat cool.
They used to call that "Miami Teak"
Old 12-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #39

Ford Lehman overhaul

Quote:
I totally agree to the Go Simple lifestyle. The first boat we lived on was an old Fortuna 37 and we crossed the Atlantic from Africa to the Trinidad with only a handheld GPS, no chart plotter etc, only one battery and a manual windlass. You're right - pulling up that anchor by hand was a real pain but you sure learn the fine art of anchoring properly doing it the hard way!
Passagemaker was built with simplicity in mind and we plan to continue as such. The old Ford Lehman motor has no electronics and Chris was able to do an overhaul with the engine set up right underneath Passagemaker.
The Ford Lehman is getting closer to going back onboard Passagemaker. Check out the new paint job.
Attached Thumbnails
20211216_152141.jpg  
Old 12-20-2021, 08:51 AM   #40

Ceiling panels installed in the Pilot house

After almost 3 months of painting panels we finally got the new ceiling up in the pilot house. These are made from plywood panels cut to fit and then painted with 3 coats of marine enamel
Attached Thumbnails
20211217_144638.jpg