Removing teak decks and adding fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dianak603

Newbie here!! So no way in Wrangell, Alaska can we have a boat with teak decks. I'm looking for older trawlers with fiberglass decks. It is obvious fiberglass has been added. I just don't know the process. Is the teak and plywood removed the then new deck material then fiberglass. I hope you get the jest to my questions. What should I look for?? Does it work?

Let me have a try. The teak you see is like icing on a cake. The real deck is underneath, usually 2 layers of fibreglass, top and bottom, with some kind of wood in between, a kind of sandwich. Sometimes there is no bottom f/g layer.
The screws attaching the teak on top(see all those little plugs covering the screws?) conduct water below, = rot in the "sandwich". Teak applied on top these days is glued not screwed, so no intrusion.
If you remove the teak on top, repair the real deck below as necessary, fair the deck, fix all the screwholes, you add one or more layers of f/g on top to replace the teak, usually for stiffness. That`s probably what you are seeing.

1983 Europa Trawler

Yes there is a 1983 Seahore for sale in Seattle that has fiberglass decks. Just asking what the process was for teak removal. Do people normally do that before there is a problem or afterwards. Does it stop rot? We have only started shopping so just getting educated.

Typically done when there is an issue, once coring is wet fiber-glassing over doesn't "stop" rot, the only thing that stops it is removing the wet coring.

Its a big job, therefore a high cost from a yard, or labor intensive for a DIY'er.

I did mine as I had several wet spots.

Not as big a project as some say as long as you don't try and save the teak.

Covered with 3 layers of 6oz cloth for waterproofing, wear and a bit of structure.

Welcome.
I'm in the process now. I used a holesaw to cut around the plugs, pried up the planks with a flat bar (not easy to get them up without damaging), and then cut a square out of the fiberglass to reveal the damaged ply core.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom