Ready...Set...Go..!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bwester

We are a husband and wife team living in Emmett Idaho, (not a big yachting community). I am retiring in a few months and we are beginning the "chase your dream" process looking for a trawler.

You might ask why someone living in Idaho would be looking for a trawler.

Well here is the Dream.
We are originally from North Carolina and are looking to do a live aboard life style in the NC sounds, up and down the ICW and maybe over to the Bahama's if all the stars align. We plan on the summers in NC / VA waters and winters in Florida / Keys / Bahama's.

We have no large boat experience and have all the same concerns that most newbies have I'm sure. But I'm also sure we can do this with the help of knowledgeable people. From what I can tell the boating community is tight knit and willing to help others experience the dream. I really appreciate the reality checks that the members ask in this forum.

We were scheduled for a 3 -4 day trawler class in Anacortes until Covid-19. Now we don't know when that may happen. So fast forwarding to the current state. We have our house listed for sale and have our first showing today. The realtor says given our location and the number of people looking to get the hell out Dodge (large cramped city life) it should not take long to sell. My Dad was a life long Merchant Marine and I spent time with him as a stow away on trips from Norfolk to Southport, so that's where the salt in the veins comes from.

Some of our wants, needs and desires are:
1. A trawler with enough space to be a live aboard.
2. A trawler with at least a master and guest room with preferably 2 heads.
3. Economical fuel utilization. ( I realize there is a difference in twin engine versus single engine, engine sizes and RPM's you cruise at.)
4. Would like a Washer /Dryer for convenience.
5. A water maker would be nice.
6. Hopefully a mechanically up to date and reliable (that changes daily I know) engine room, navigation electronics, etc.
7. Capable to make the Bahama jump.
8. Fly Bridge with generous outdoor space.
9. Ability to endure on the hook for a reasonable amount of time. (solar, batteries, etc.)

Here is the kicker: We envision a lot of visitor's. All of mine and my wife's family still reside in NC. We expect they will visit (not all at one time of course). And the big one: we have 15 Grand Kids who along with their parents are already drawing straws for who gets to spend time with Grandpa and Grandma on the boat. (again, not all at one time)

Boats I like which I'm sure will create some discussion and comments like: "You Like what", "You have never spent time on a boat and you What", etc. etc. etc.
1. Defever 49 Raised Pilot house (older affordable models)
2. Defever 44+5
3. Defever 49 CPMY
4. Selene's (not many / any in my price range: up to $300K)
5. Kady Krogen 42 (not as sold on the tight quarters and affordability of older ones)
6. Hans Christian Independance 45: really like it if it had a fly bridge and larger engine room but you have to move up to the newer models to get that which knocks it out of the price range.
7. Magna Marine 47: nice one on Yachtworld for $319K but no pictures of the guest state room which means its probably not a selling point.

Now for my questions:
1. Any recommendations on East coast Brokers and if we should use a local broker for each boat we like and want to see (this means lots of brokers) or find one broker to represent us for all our needs?
2. With my little to no experience what will the Insurance bomb look like?
3. Any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks for this forum and let the fun Begin. - Barry W.

Welcome!

You've already put a lot of useful thought into it and will get plenty of comments here. I hope you're not in a hurry to find and buy the boat, because the search is a blast, and you'll learn a lot from it. If you were to find a boat you just had to have next week either because you loved it or had nowhere else to live, you'd miss out on the fun and education gained from a search that took a year or two.

However it plays out, I wish you the best of luck and the most fun possible!

Greg.

With those specs you listed, I’d surely consider the Bayliner 4588 and 4788. Both check the boxes on wants and the owners association is dedicated & informative. Many upgrades & improvement mods by owners are published. If you like the raised pilothouse style (like others you listed above), these are good boats to start with or end up with, and are good values in your price range.

I do believe the DeFever 49CPMY and the 44+5 are the same boat. With that sid, out of all the boats you listed and your price cap of 300k, The Defever 44+5 is a slam dunk IMO. It is a very hard boat to beat as far as price goes and as it relates to seaworthiness and space...not to mention an amazing engine room. THey are twin engine but there are some upsides to that which we will not get into here. I have heard that the 49RPH is a very tender boat in a seaway...and when you look at it, it makes sense. It does look top heavy.

Good Luck and have fun.

PS...oh and as much as you think people will visit, they won't. I am not saying they won't at all, but your expectation and reality are likely far apart. But it doesn't appear you are choosing a boat based on this so it doesn't really matter.

We are a husband and wife team living in Emmett Idaho, (not a big yachting community). I am retiring in a few months and we are beginning the "chase your dream" process looking for a trawler.

You might ask why someone living in Idaho would be looking for a trawler.

Well here is the Dream.
We are originally from North Carolina and are looking to do a live aboard life style in the NC sounds, up and down the ICW and maybe over to the Bahama's if all the stars align. We plan on the summers in NC / VA waters and winters in Florida / Keys / Bahama's.

We have no large boat experience and have all the same concerns that most newbies have I'm sure. But I'm also sure we can do this with the help of knowledgeable people. From what I can tell the boating community is tight knit and willing to help others experience the dream. I really appreciate the reality checks that the members ask in this forum.

We were scheduled for a 3 -4 day trawler class in Anacortes until Covid-19. Now we don't know when that may happen. So fast forwarding to the current state. We have our house listed for sale and have our first showing today. The realtor says given our location and the number of people looking to get the hell out Dodge (large cramped city life) it should not take long to sell. My Dad was a life long Merchant Marine and I spent time with him as a stow away on trips from Norfolk to Southport, so that's where the salt in the veins comes from.

Some of our wants, needs and desires are:
1. A trawler with enough space to be a live aboard.
2. A trawler with at least a master and guest room with preferably 2 heads.
3. Economical fuel utilization. ( I realize there is a difference in twin engine versus single engine, engine sizes and RPM's you cruise at.)
4. Would like a Washer /Dryer for convenience.
5. A water maker would be nice.
6. Hopefully a mechanically up to date and reliable (that changes daily I know) engine room, navigation electronics, etc.
7. Capable to make the Bahama jump.
8. Fly Bridge with generous outdoor space.
9. Ability to endure on the hook for a reasonable amount of time. (solar, batteries, etc.)

Here is the kicker: We envision a lot of visitor's. All of mine and my wife's family still reside in NC. We expect they will visit (not all at one time of course). And the big one: we have 15 Grand Kids who along with their parents are already drawing straws for who gets to spend time with Grandpa and Grandma on the boat. (again, not all at one time)

Boats I like which I'm sure will create some discussion and comments like: "You Like what", "You have never spent time on a boat and you What", etc. etc. etc.
1. Defever 49 Raised Pilot house (older affordable models)
2. Defever 44+5
3. Defever 49 CPMY
4. Selene's (not many / any in my price range: up to $300K)
5. Kady Krogen 42 (not as sold on the tight quarters and affordability of older ones)
6. Hans Christian Independance 45: really like it if it had a fly bridge and larger engine room but you have to move up to the newer models to get that which knocks it out of the price range.
7. Magna Marine 47: nice one on Yachtworld for $319K but no pictures of the guest state room which means its probably not a selling point.

Now for my questions:
1. Any recommendations on East coast Brokers and if we should use a local broker for each boat we like and want to see (this means lots of brokers) or find one broker to represent us for all our needs?
2. With my little to no experience what will the Insurance bomb look like?
3. Any other recommendations, I'm all ears.

Thanks for this forum and let the fun Begin. - Barry W.
Barry,
Any reason a DeFever 44 isn't on your list? Less the cockpit, it's the same boat as the 49CPMY and checks all your boxes. Of course, I'm a little jaded...[emoji16]
Happy hunting!

Welcome aboard. I really like the Defever 47 POC and 53 POC. They come with 3208s mostly but you don’t have to use all the power. They have unbelievable layouts. Art Defever knew how to design boats! Good luck and have fun with the search.

Barry,
Any reason a DeFever 44 isn't on your list? Less the cockpit, it's the same boat as the 49CPMY and checks all your boxes. Of course, I'm a little jaded...[emoji16]
Happy hunting!

Thanks Luke for the question on the 44. Sorry I'm just figuring out how you respond to people on this forum. Yes, the 44 is a definite consideration on my list but they are all on the west coast. We really want to learn the ropes so to speak on the East Coast. I would love to find a 44 in good shape and a good price on the East coast. If you have any suggestions on Brokers that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, hope to join you one day maybe in a Defever gathering. - Barry

I think it depends more on the bank than the insurance company. Some banks demand a certain amount of experience before you can be your own captain.

If you are heavily mortgaged the bank has a real interest in your driving ability.

Of course the insurance company does also.

pete

Hans Christian 45 is a nice boat. Looked at 2 before eventually buying my Cherubini Independence 45. Adding the flybridge really wouldn't be that expensive. My Cherubini has a stern docking station. The throttle and shift are cable driven. Rudder control is done through the autopilot with a jog lever, but other remotes are available. This could be easily done for a flybridge. A second engine gauge panel would be pretty simple to add. Then it's just a matter of what you want for navigation. Add a bimini and a couple of captain's chairs.

Ted

Thanks Luke for the question on the 44. Sorry I'm just figuring out how you respond to people on this forum. Yes, the 44 is a definite consideration on my list but they are all on the west coast. We really want to learn the ropes so to speak on the East Coast. I would love to find a 44 in good shape and a good price on the East coast. If you have any suggestions on Brokers that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, hope to join you one day maybe in a Defever gathering. - Barry
Barry...sent you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom