Purchase Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froglegs

Vessel Name
Froglegs II
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Hello all, I am new to this Forum. I'm quite surprised by the lack of interest shown by brokers I've contacted to purchase a boat in the 200K range. No replies to Email or tele. This seems the norm and I refuse to chase people to spend my $

Hello all, I am new to this Forum. I'm quite surprised by the lack of interest shown by brokers I've contacted to purchase a boat in the 200K range. No replies to Email or tele. This seems the norm and I refuse to chase people to spend my $

Hello, welcome to the forum. yes brokers sometimes lazy to earn their own salary. here is "Classifieds" to buy and sell where you can find yourself a gem. good luck to you for hunting trawler.:thumb:

Last edited:

Welcome to the forum! Where are you looking? You may get better results with brokers who specialize in trawlers.

Ted

If you haven't already bookmarked yachtworld.com, it's a good place to start looking.
I had no problems getting seller's brokers to show me boats, once I had some in mind, even at a much lower budget.

Kevin Barber of Edwards Yacht Sales
I am in Kansas and wanted to buy a boat, only my budget wasn't nearly that large. Finally discovered I need someone to trust who would work on my behalf - Found our boat within a month and he guided the whole process. See my Grand Banks 36
Very pleased
Barney

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to defend the brokers you contacted but 90% of the people who contact me do not buy a boat within two years and I follow up closely. When I talk to a trawler buyer I ask when they plan to buy as many will look for two or more years. Sea Ray guys might look three to six months.
I have sold boats for 21 years now and only get paid when I close on a boat, I have so many hours per week and put my effort into clients who I think may buy. I always follow up a call or email with new potential clients.

If you're just looking at ads and contacting per those then many brokers see it as a lot of clutter, window shopping. Not saying that's right but when contacting on a specific boat only, that's the reaction.

In my opinion, better to select and pick a buyers broker and then work through them. Let them chase the other brokers. You commit to them and they'll commit to you.

I notice you're in Denver. Where do you intend to use the boat?

Try being totally honest with the broker you contact. Let them know what your budget is, if you have to get financed or can pay cash, what type of boat you are looking for, and how quickly your ready to buy if he finds a boat the meets your requirements. Many folks spend years dreaming about buying a boat, and make a hobby of looking at them. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't expect a broker to invest hours of his time working with you if you appear to be just a hull kicker. Sometimes they can be wrong and miss a sale, but it's up to you to convince them your serious.

Try being totally honest with the broker you contact. Let them know what your budget is, if you have to get financed or can pay cash, what type of boat you are looking for, and how quickly your ready to buy if he finds a boat the meets your requirements. Many folks spend years dreaming about buying a boat, and make a hobby of looking at them. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't expect a broker to invest hours of his time working with you if you appear to be just a hull kicker. Sometimes they can be wrong and miss a sale, but it's up to you to convince them your serious.

Ton's of hobbyist boat shoppers, then lots who are serious but have no idea about what and take decades.

Your advice to be honest and share information is excellent. Let them know you and you know them. Then if not a match move to the next one.

Think of those who pop in here and ask a question while providing no information on which we can base an answer, questions like "what trawler do you recommend?" and they don't even tell you where they are, what their experience is, how they intend to use it. Then you ask and they're still not forthcoming.

Boat brokers know those who are just running through the YachtWorld listings. The good ones offer their services in assisting on the search, but most won't put much effort in if it's just to answer questions on one boat. Yet, I've known brokers who went way out of their way for someone who shared everything about their interest and knowledge but stated up front it would be two or three years before they bought, explaining why. A broker I know then asks if it's ok for him to follow up with him periodically, that even though he knows he's not ready to buy, he might email him information on specific boats knowing that might help them when the time comes. He sends one email a month oh what he calls his followup day he sets aside for that. Once buyer took five years but bought from him. Another who said he wouldn't buy for two or three years loved the first boat he was sent and still said, "I know I can't buy yet but would it be possible to look at it?" Well, plans changed as it was love at first sight.

The brokers I like most don't push, but lead. They don't sell boats but they sell a service of assisting you in finding the best boat for your needs.

They also accept what you say at face value. Now, I get annoyed at a sales person who won't do that and won't listen. I don't like game playing on either side.

I had very good luck with most boat brokers. My first contact was almost always about a boat they had listed. Often that led to other boats. Several times I was at a marina that had a broker and simply went into there office. IMO, making an effort (finding and calling about a boat they've listed or driving to their office) shows you're serious.

Ted

. Several times I was at a marina that had a broker and simply went into there office. IMO, making an effort (finding and calling about a boat they've listed or driving to their office) shows you're serious.

Ted

Face to face isn't always possible, but is always beneficial if possible. They get to see your seriousness and you get to judge them in person.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom