propulsion mate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gadenors

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Elviva
Vessel Make
trawl/tug Ejvind 25
Now finally registret, - happy to join an interesting TRAWLER forum here.

For some time followed with keen interest many issues about marine diesels, I like the way of sharing experience, and this way helping one another.
Been in the Marine diesel business for many years, now retired (79) marine engineer/and navigator, Still never too old not to learn some more, from other experienced ship mates.
My main interest are: Ships Propulsion. -to get as much HP/torque out on propeller for max.trust.

I like to say with Dave Gerr:
"Insigth and Esoterica for the Nautically Obsessed" :)
- in his book: "NATURE of BOATS"

My boat is a Tug/Trawler type of 25 feet. 5.2 ton displasement.
built in Rantzausminde near Svendborg, Denmark, boat type: "EJVIND 25."
boats name: "Elviva"

Welcome. I have fond memories of an Ejvind 25 as I boated around the Kattegat and the Limfjord on one many years ago as a kid.

Welcome to the forum. Always good to have another maximum thrust expert on tap with the minimum thrust enthusiasts (sometimes maximum conflict with minimum contribution but more often the other way around).

Welcome gadenors.. your diesel expert is always welcome.... So my first question is: What's the best way to keep a marine diesel "exercised" in a boat that is moored for months or a season at a time - in other words, not often untied and taken out?

Also, we like pictures... especially pictures of boats we don't see often...

exercice an idle engine!

Welcome gadenors.. your diesel expert is always welcome.... So my first question is: What's the best way to keep a marine diesel "exercised" in a boat that is moored for months or a season at a time - in other words, not often untied and taken out?

Also, we like pictures... especially pictures of boats we don't see often...

Hi Earl. Good important question, Iam in the same situation myself, dont sail much anymore.
Here is what I do: After start,let engine get oilpressure, then engage gear, and engine rpm. 1000-1200 rpm. not to ruin the pier, better take a short trip.. untill engine optain full teperature.
(-do not let your engine run at idle, just for charging batteries!)
Then its better NOT to start engines at all.
I use solar cells to have my batteries at top level.
I use a thin lube oil: Castrol Magnatec 5W-40. C 3 oil, - for fast oil press.
- see Castrol site and understand why..!
When you run engines, also look for your sterngear, grease stuffing box, then turn propeller shaft, -so no dripping leaks there..!

Please do not call me "Expert", -often so called Experts are awful wrong, because they do not alwayes know all circumstance for those WHO asking.
Do use your gear forward and reverse, when you exercise your engine.
PS. I,ll see about Picture. And to all,- thanks for welcome me!

Thanks gadenors... you've earned your stripes with your first reply.. and your advice is consistent with (knowledgeable) others who have diesel experience. I have shore power to keep the batteries charged so there's no reason to run the main for that. Yanmar recommends 5W-40 so that's a match. And I have slipped the trans into gear, but that puts more strain on my cleats than I'm comfortable with especially at rpm's above idle. Running up to 1,000 or 1,200 might launch my boat into the neighbor's dock. So far, I've been able to make 2+ hour trips at least once a month, and I've been told that's adequate, but if I can't run once a month for at least an hour, I don't run it at all which means it might be an extra week or so before I take it out. When I exercise the generator, I load it up with cook top, air conditioners, and water heater - that puts the gen at about 25% of full load..

Thanks for your advice.. more diesel questions to follow... and we look forward to photos..

News: Pict. now on profile.

Boats dimension: L. all told: 25 ft. (at wl.23 ft.) beam 9 ft, draft 3 ft. displ. 5.5 ton.
her max.speed:2.4 kn. service/cruise: 5.8 kt.
Engine: Volvo Penta 62 HP. derated: 36 HP.@ 2100 rpm. 4.litr.p/h.

She is a double ender, with full cruiser stern. I think that old William Atkin
would have said: she i fine and wholesome "little Hooker".

The Ejvind 25 were used as fishing boats, mostly, only few were rigged as leisure crafts, and some for travelboats in Greenland, small safe passenger vessels, between the villages (the bygd -as the only way of travel up there.)
Boats were buildt in great numbers, also for the Danish Navy and as Pilot vessels,
since those boats are extremely seaworthy, but also slow, never mind the HP. - Needs only 22 HP. to get max.speed. Fishing vessels were all fitted with 2 cyl SABB diesel,
22 HP.@ 1500 rpm. and 2:1 red.ratio: 750 rpm.on 2 bladed VP propeller.
Some later boats were 30 HP. SABB, now 1800 rpm. same speed.
4 boats Work boats,(tow boats.) gets 3 cyl. MWM/Deutz diesels 46 HP. with 4:1 red. SABB gear VP.= var.pitch.
Vessels are somewhat exxagerated heavyly buildt : 22 mm.in bottom, 18 mm. topsides, pilothouse, and coaming are 16 mm. You see, boatbuilder were former boatbuilder in wood, and wanted to be sure his boat would stand up to some abuse.
Ejvind 25, meets all classification standard.
All glasfiber material came from German BASF.
PS. Glad to learn that "Fire Fly", saw the boat long time ago, in Kattegat.

Last edited:
EJVIND 25 in Kattegat.

Welcome. I have fond memories of an Ejvind 25 as I boated around the Kattegat and the Limfjord on one many years ago as a kid.
Hello Northern Spy, -glad to hear that you saw a Ejvind there back inyour younger days.

The Ejvind boats were build near Svendborg by a (very old boatbuilder former in Wood.)

The Rantzausminde boatyard, by Ejvind Henningensen.
My boat were buildt by the workshop manager for himself, back in 1972 as Building number 333.

Thank you for posting. Povl Gade. Thisted Denmark.- in the Limfjord...!!

very nice looking vessel - clean lines. looks like it's fresh out of the factory. probably very economical too. I'm sure you're getting many days of boating adventures with this beauty...

my old Ejvind 25.

very nice looking vessel - clean lines. looks like it's fresh out of the factory. probably very economical too. I'm sure you're getting many days of boating adventures with this beauty...
Hello Again Earl. The fresh from factory is born back in 1972,

and Thank You for your kind compliment, Words like this gives one a certain warm feeling.

Been on the MainShip site, and you Mr. Earl can be one happy skipper.
Now I see, that your 370 HP. Yanmar canot be turned Loose, not when tied up.
BTW. - my last engine business, was with Yanmar: the 6LADTE 450 HP.
at 1800 rpm. and the V.8LAADTE 600HP. all red. 6:1 tru to a VP.propeller
Large Yanmar were: T.260 E
rated 1500 HP. at 750 rpm. red.ratio 3:1 = 250 rpm. on the prop. - for beam trawlers, real fine engines with a good lugging power, skipper were all pleased. Povl.

Hej gadenors. The 370 is more HP than a 34 needs, and I prefer the leisurely economical speeds. I run it up to 3k rpm for about 10 minutes to exercise the propulsion system then come back to trawler speed. The 1st mate takes the helm and I go to the ER and check for any leaks and excess heat. The Trans is ZF and it's spinning a 4 blade 26R 20 prop... I'm glad to hear good things about Yanmar and at 8 years and 1,110 hours, I have had no problems with the propulsion system. As we say, knock on wood...

Thisted Denmark.- in the Limfjord...!!

I was at the other end, in Hals. But I also spent time in Hirtshals, Frederikshavn, and Thyboron visiting relatives.

I went boating in each place. In fact, my first trawler ride was on a fishing trawler into the North Sea out if Hirtshals.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom