Possible new boat owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnie

I'm thinking on purchasing a 1973 Grand Banks 36 as my starter into the boating world. I've always loved the lines and even though it is a wood boat, I feel it would be a good starting point to learn the many lessons I would have to learn about boating. Any suggestions, comments to help lead me in the right direction.

Welcome aboard. If you have not owned boats before I would not start with a woodie. But if you really want to spend all your time and money maintaining a wooden boat, I wish you success. However before you commit make sure you can find a marina that will take a woodie and make absolutely sure you can get insurance on it. Good luck.

Welcome! I would not pick a woodie as a first boat, or as any boat I'd call mine. Best of luck with it or whichever boat you do pick.

Greg.

I picked a 1972 woodie Grand Banks 42 for my first larger vessel and ran it for 29 years. If this 36 you are looking at is not just some poorly maintained boat at the end of life, I would not hesitate. Be sure the price is realistic, not too low and not too high, because you will want to re-sell it someday. Why do I no longer have mine? Lack of use for its intended purpose and lack of continuing desire to do so were the biggest reasons, but the desire to reduce my required hours and hours on maintenance was right up there.

Where are you waters? Covered berth? Many variables that may make a woodie viable. Find a good Surveyor and do not underestimate work and expense of replacing boards and ribs.

Good video of a restoration of a Nathaniel Herreshoff design class-racing sailboat. Very well heeled owner. Gives some idea of work involved to do absolutely right - better than new. I would not be surprised if this restoration was closer to $2m than $1m

https://youtu.be/oqaSWjtF8PI

Peter

As others have stated. Unless working on a boat is something you enjoy as much or better yet more than using it, and/or you have lots of cash to spend paying someone else, I would not buy a wooden (old) GB as my first boat.
Older boats are enough work, and wooden boats way more so.
Whatever you decide, good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom