Old 04-27-2020, 09:39 PM   #1

City: Houston
Vessel Name: HONU
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Permission to come aboard?

I have owned my Grand Banks 42 Classic almost a year now and am wondering why I am just now joining this forum, which I have searched for advice on numerous occasions. I am a do-it-yourselfer and have been slowly learning the intricacies of the various systems aboard and have gotten a pretty good feel for handling the boat at this point. We spend more time in the slip than underway, but I enjoy every minute regardless. Well, when my head is bleeding from whacking the overhead in the engine room is not enjoyable, but I got me a fancy bump cap and now, every time I whack it on the overhead, I think to myself that I have prevented yet another split scalp, and that is somewhat satisfying.

From the time my family moved back to the Houston area from El Paso when I was 3, I have loved being on or near the water. I am a maritime lawyer by background, but for the last 15+ years have been an executive with a domestic marine transportation company. I served 21 years in the Naval Reserve as an intelligence officer. I have always wanted a trawler and had the opportunity to purchase a well maintained and equipped Grand Banks 42 Classic from a fellow club member (I think I am the fourth member of the club to own her). So, now I am a happy camper. My lament is that I cannot get enough time away from work to go anywhere exciting, but I can still dream of the day I can take a longer trip. The COVID-19 situation has demonstrated that I can continue to work and not be in the office, so maybe I can cut loose sometime soon.

My wife is a good sport and has found that patches, ginger and other remedies keep her seasickness at bay. She has taken to updating the curtains, pillows and other necessaries while I have been fiddling with more trivial items like zincs, seacocks, pumps and wiring. Together, we make a petty good team.
HONUHYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONUHYC View Post
I have owned my Grand Banks 42 Classic almost a year now and am wondering why I am just now joining this forum, which I have searched for advice on numerous occasions. I am a do-it-yourselfer and have been slowly learning the intricacies of the various systems aboard and have gotten a pretty good feel for handling the boat at this point. We spend more time in the slip than underway, but I enjoy every minute regardless. Well, when my head is bleeding from whacking the overhead in the engine room is not enjoyable, but I got me a fancy bump cap and now, every time I whack it on the overhead, I think to myself that I have prevented yet another split scalp, and that is somewhat satisfying.

From the time my family moved back to the Houston area from El Paso when I was 3, I have loved being on or near the water. I am a maritime lawyer by background, but for the last 15+ years have been an executive with a domestic marine transportation company. I served 21 years in the Naval Reserve as an intelligence officer. I have always wanted a trawler and had the opportunity to purchase a well maintained and equipped Grand Banks 42 Classic from a fellow club member (I think I am the fourth member of the club to own her). So, now I am a happy camper. My lament is that I cannot get enough time away from work to go anywhere exciting, but I can still dream of the day I can take a longer trip. The COVID-19 situation has demonstrated that I can continue to work and not be in the office, so maybe I can cut loose sometime soon.

My wife is a good sport and has found that patches, ginger and other remedies keep her seasickness at bay. She has taken to updating the curtains, pillows and other necessaries while I have been fiddling with more trivial items like zincs, seacocks, pumps and wiring. Together, we make a petty good team.
Welcome aboard.

If your wife get sea sickness and still buys into your joint dreams - she is a keeper.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Welcome aboard

Yup, she's a keeper!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Welcome aboard!!!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I don't know what your timeline is like with you and your wife, how busy you are, but if you can stay overnight on the boat before departure that might help her some. Also a few have reported positive results with the electronic watch style zapper.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliefband-1-.../dp/B00PG4NUOS
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
This is a great place to hang for a DYI. Lot of good knowledge and often more than one way to do something.

Welcome aboard
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, she is a keeper. Her only lack of judgement seems to be her association with me. The sensitivity of her inner ear amazes me. She does fine underway. I am sure the stabilizers help. She has trouble in the covered slip in the harbor with just the slightest movement from the wind. When we are aboard, I keep the lines as tight as I can get them with tideminders to account for water level changes and she still senses the motion. Luckily, the medication seems to work. Seasickness is miserable. I have experienced it a few times, including a couple of times when on the gray hulled cruise line. There is no place to run or hide when your rack is forward and is going up and down 20 or 30 feet with each wave.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I did a little math on your case. Lets give you 25 years to go to school and get started in your working life. Another 5 years climbing the ladder. If you have 21 years in the naval Reserve I'm gonna guess you served in the navy for about 12 years (Thank you for your service) 15 years in your present position.

Anyway you slice it, you must be mid 50's or older. Pull the pin now and retire.

Simple when you do the math...Welcome Aboard, how about some pictures of the boat?

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
"Yes, she is a keeper. Her only lack of judgement seems to be her association with me."
I was going to say that......... but I am a Canadian and we are too polite for that!!
Welcome aboard the forum. A GB 42, great boat and I love the look of them.
I agree with Pete, retire as early as you can. Life is short. Just make sure you do "plan for your retirement", as some "work-a-holic" types have some trouble with the transition. Having a boat and a wife who likes boating is a great way to spend quality time.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Welcome to TF! Remember we like pictures....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
"Yes, she is a keeper. Her only lack of judgement seems to be her association with me."
I was going to say that......... but I am a Canadian and we are too polite for that!!
Welcome aboard the forum. A GB 42, great boat and I love the look of them.
I agree with Pete, retire as early as you can. Life is short. Just make sure you do "plan for your retirement", as some "work-a-holic" types have some trouble with the transition. Having a boat and a wife who likes boating is a great way to spend quality time.
Your math is pretty good, except that I was a direct commission officer into the Naval Reserve while still in law school, so I practiced law and did reserve duty at the same time for 20 years before going into my current role. I do plan to retire, but not soon. I still have some things to accomplish and need to ensure there is enough in the piggy bank to enjoy life the way we want to. Thankfully, we are healthy and are spending some of our "retirement" today to travel and do things we want, like buy a trawler, while we have the ability to enjoy them. Your advice is well taken. I may spend a day or two working from the boat in the coming days to see how that goes. It may come down to the internet bandwidth at the Yacht Club and whether it will allow me to stream conference calls reliably.

I get the message on the pictures. Right now, most of the pictures I have are of things I think need to be fixed. My most recent boat picture is of the heat exchanger on the port main engine. I want to contemplate why it has the corrosion on it the way it does.

On my to do list is to take the camera down there and get a series of nice photos showing all the work we have done, the new drapes, decor, etc. I will post some soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Heat Exchanger.jpg  
Old 04-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #13
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Salute the colors and permission granted.
Looks like salt water leakage when removing the cap. It also looks like it’s bronze, salt water on bronze equals green. Not a problem unless it’s leaking, green on bronze a natural protectant.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #14

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have it working for you, both with career and the boat, and a wife who outs up with both.
Congratulations.
John
Old 04-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #15
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
There are a lot of GBs around you. Welcome.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #16
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I don't know what your timeline is like with you and your wife, how busy you are, but if you can stay overnight on the boat before departure that might help her some. Also a few have reported positive results with the electronic watch style zapper.

https://www.amazon.com/Reliefband-1-.../dp/B00PG4NUOS
true story .....

Saw a commercial for one of those a few years back ... a Radio Shack commercial for an "anti snoring device. My wife has described my snoring as a wild jungle animal fighting for it's life. So off I went to Radio Shack on a cold snowy January morning (that part's important) and asked the young man for an "anti-snoring device".

He gave me a puzzled look and got on to the computer. After several minutes he told me he couldn't find anything but had another computer in the back room that was connected to central inventory and he would check there. Again after several minutes he informed me that he could find nothing.

At this point the two young men who'd been setting up the displays out in the mall came back into the store and he asked them ..... Do you guys know anything about an "anti-snowing device" ?
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #17
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choices View Post
There are a lot of GBs around you. Welcome.
Pardon me for being curious; did you buy Rich and Sue’s boat ?
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #18

No. She is EX SALAROSA, Tony and Lynda's boat.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Guru

City: .
Quote:
No. She is EX SALAROSA, Tony and Lynda's boat.
Welcome from another Grand Banks 42’ very far away.

Thank you, but my question was about «Choices»

Best wishes, enjoy your 42’ Classic.
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

I get the message on the pictures. Right now, most of the pictures I have are of things I think need to be fixed. My most recent boat picture is of the heat exchanger on the port main engine. I want to contemplate why it has the corrosion on it the way it does.
You have too much pressure in the Heat Exchanger, as in, more than the single bolt and thin gasket on the end cap can handle, resulting in a small though steady leak.
IMHO that is an indicator that your passages are clogging, either with a crusty buildup or bits of impeller and zinc. Time to pull the end caps off both ends, rod the HE out, collect the bits, replace the gaskets, then when all done and tight, spray on some fresh paint.
If you don't find any gaskets there, keep looking, further downstream. The trans HE may be smaller, and more likely to trap the bits.