Permission to come aboard!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arkleys

Vessel Make
2001 Heritage East 36 Sundeck
Hello!

This is my first time logging into the Trawler Forum and it appears to have tons of useful information about a wide variety of topics.

I am joining the forum because my wife and I are in the process of buying a 2001 Heritage East 36 Sundeck trawler. We went aboard several times before we made an offer and love the layout! We will be the third owner -- the previous owners didn't do a lot of changes to the base configuration so there are very few holes and hacked installations. It does have radar and chart plotters at both helms (Raymarine RL700 & RC631+) and what appears to be decent VHF radios. I am looking for suggestions for upgrades in the area of solar panels, tilting dinghy davit for the boarding platform, installation of a ceiling mounted fold up TV and antenna system as well as galley storage tips. I am also wondering if I should install A/C and a generator.

I look forward to being an active member of this forum and getting (and giving) advice. Like many, I was a life long sailor and have "come to the dark side" and looking forward to it!

Thanks.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. I can understand your enthusiasm BUT I would suggest you wait for 6 mos to 1 year before you make any major changes. Priorities and and "must haves" seem to change after the initial excitement...

Welcome aboard. We had a Seawise davit system on a previous boat and loved it.

Welcome! I, too, was a lifelong sailor who moved to the stinkpot life.

I agree wholeheartedly with RTF. There are a million things to change...but after six or nine months, that list is completely different.

Looking forward to following along on your journey.

We have “Roskelley” tilting davits similar to Nick Jackson transom mounted davits and love them. Quick and easy to deploy or retrieve.

Welcome aboard TF
Some may say the dark side...
Others may say you have seen the light

Last edited:
We thought about the fold down TV, then realized we could just get a projector and turned one of our window curtains into a roll-down projector screen. Easy, cheap, done. You can't watch it when it's real bright out, but aren't there better things to do on a boat during the day?

Welcome. RT gives great advice. Live with the boat for a while before you make the upgrade decisions.

Hello!

This is my first time logging into the Trawler Forum and it appears to have tons of useful information about a wide variety of topics.

I am joining the forum because my wife and I are in the process of buying a 2001 Heritage East 36 Sundeck trawler. We went aboard several times before we made an offer and love the layout! We will be the third owner -- the previous owners didn't do a lot of changes to the base configuration so there are very few holes and hacked installations. It does have radar and chart plotters at both helms (Raymarine RL700 & RC631+) and what appears to be decent VHF radios. I am looking for suggestions for upgrades in the area of solar panels, tilting dinghy davit for the boarding platform, installation of a ceiling mounted fold up TV and antenna system as well as galley storage tips. I am also wondering if I should install A/C and a generator.

I look forward to being an active member of this forum and getting (and giving) advice. Like many, I was a life long sailor and have "come to the dark side" and looking forward to it!

Thanks.
Our previous boat was a 2001 HE 36. When we owned her, we added a generator, air conditioning, and a much better inverter/charger, but I agree with the others who have suggested that you don't change anything for the first year. I will PM you our contact information. I have a ton of pictures and other data that you might be interested in. Heritage East's are great boats. You have made a wise choice.

Welcome aboard! We are also sailors, we bought a Catalina 25 so we don't get too far away from it. We are live aboards now and are loving it. Everyone is right about letting some time pass before deciding on what changes to make.

Back
Top Bottom