Our "Cruiser Ed" has started!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Libertexan

Vessel Name
N/A - currently looking
Vessel Make
Viking ProFish 400/Kayak
My wife and I have just begun educating ourselves about all things Cruising. We don't know much at all about this crazy idea we got to sell all our "stuff" and move on to a boat. I will do my best to search the existing threads for answers to my rookie questions. However, I will from time to time beg your indulgence for an answer to some silly question that I have. About the only thing we really know is that we love Trawlers!! We only think we know the other stuff. We will be spending vacation time going to boat shows and Trawler fests to hopefully figure some of this stuff out.

This idea has caught fire with us and turned in to a dream that we hope to realize in 5-7 years.

My wife and I have just begun educating ourselves about all things Cruising. We don't know much at all about this crazy idea we got to sell all our "stuff" and move on to a boat. I will do my best to search the existing threads for answers to my rookie questions. However, I will from time to time beg your indulgence for an answer to some silly question that I have. About the only thing we really know is that we love Trawlers!! We only think we know the other stuff. We will be spending vacation time going to boat shows and Trawler fests to hopefully figure some of this stuff out.

This idea has caught fire with us and turned in to a dream that we hope to realize in 5-7 years.

Welcome Libertexan.

There is no such thing as a silly question when one is learning, so ask away Mate.

Cheers.

H.

Welcome, and good luck with your education! You'll find lots of friendly and encouraging help here.

Welcome to the Forum Libertexan, and good luck on your adventure.

One small piece of advice to consider ... think long and hard about selling the house initially. From a financial point of view it makes sense to hang onto an appreciating asset (your house) and not put all your worth into a depreciating asset (a boat). Also it may turn out you don't like the live aboard lifestyle so much after you have tried it for a while. I suggest renting the house for a year while you are on the boat - that way your options are open.

Cheers,

David

David makes a good point above.

When we first tried full time cruising, we sold our house and most possessions and moved onto the boat. My wife hated it because she didn't have a go home/baleout place, or maybe a touchstone to land based life.

So we bought a small condo to use as a home base and all was well afterwards.

David

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice!

Yes we are actually considering all those things you mention regarding the house...still have not committed to anything but the boat. It is giving plenty of motivation to purge some "stuff" and that is good!

David makes a good point above.

When we first tried full time cruising, we sold our house and most possessions and moved onto the boat. My wife hated it because she didn't have a go home/baleout place, or maybe a touchstone to land based life.

So we bought a small condo to use as a home base and all was well afterwards.

David

This sounds like something we may do as well.

Good Thoughts

And Welcome -

We are actively doing the same. Wife retired, and I am done in March 2018, plan to start the Loop from WI July-Aug 2018. We have sold a lot of "Stuff" in garage sales over the past two years. (it is true what they say, you don't miss it) Our Big House now only has furniture in our bedroom, living room and two stools at the breakfast counter. We do plan to sell because the house is too big for us anymore, just don't need the space. Design is wrong, not the style house you get old in, and not looking to retire in Northern WI. That said we paid cash for our 1977 Grand Banks 36 (mostly from proceeds of our sailboat) and plan to put the money from the house sale away separately as we know at some point, sooner or later we will need a dirt home again. (It's a benefit if you don't need the sale of the home to purchase the boat.) Were taking all the must have - can't replace items and putting them in storage (10 x 10 climate controlled $90/mo) and "Lending" other stuff to the kids. Working through mail and residency issues now rather than wait (will most likely use one of the kids address) and don't forget about insurance that changes once you are homeless.

Were excited and can't wait to see what others have to say.

Russ & Kerry
m/v Long Story

I have always told my wife that I would have a hard time getting rid of the stuff...but if I ever started...yikes! And I/we have found it to be somewhat liberating.

Longstory, I have a ton of questions about your decision to by a 40 year old trawler. Did you know the owners or the boat? Is she a project boat or ready to go? Maybe should start another thread.

If you like

Feel free to PM (Private Message) me... will answer all.

In short, did not know the owner. Grand Banks are build well, and older ones are a great value. Did not purchase as a project boat, but any 40 year old boat with teak decks and lots of bright-work is a project. We call it our retirement activity. Where we are, there are a number of GB's and there were five (5) for sale within 20 miles of where we keep our boat. Some newer, one older - looked at them all.

Look forward to helping anyway I can

Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom