Old 01-24-2021, 12:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Hong Kong
Vessel Model: 1974 GB32
TOPLAC is specifically formulated for amateur application so is very forgiving.
Rosco2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:05 AM   #22

City: East Islip. NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: 1978 GB 32 Sedan
Thanks! Have been looking into Alexseal as am an aficionado of "Boatworks" where they have demo'd a bit but will dig into TOPLAC as well. In your refit, what did you do with the teak decks?
GB32Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Nothing yet. If they become a problem then I was considering painting over with this.........

https://liquidrubber.ca/products/pol...16096721207398
Old 01-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

https://liquidrubber.ca/products/mul...nt=45181988239

2 coats of the Primer, 4 coats of the Deck Coating. I am considering using the Smooth Stone Grey color as I think it is the closest color match to an aged teak deck.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:02 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: creteil
Vessel Name: Ramkay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Welcome aboard. My GB32 Ramkay is also a 1978 hull #476. She's in France on the Seine River, Paris area. Great boat and extremely reliable and seaworthy. We take her every summer to Normandie through the river and from there cruise the English Channel to Bretagne. Next year we'll continue the trip south and through Gibraltar to the Mediterranean Sea. The Lehman 120 on it is unbreakable and totally reliable. Check the fuel tanks though. Best of luck wit it.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #26
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB32Patience View Post
Hello all,
My wife and I are entering our 3rd season with our 1978 GB32 "Patience". As sailboaters most of our lives, we have made the change that seems to be fairly common... going for the Trawler design. As with most of our boats, we find the ones with "good bones" but need a bit of TLC. Our "Patience" is no exception and aptly named by the prior owner. Pretty much touching every element of her and hope to both inquire as well as contribute to this Forum (I have a great smelly boat thread to follow). We have cruised the northeast all of our lives but may start to venture south in increments with a visit to our daughter in DC this summer. Currently approaching some deckhouse/flybridge refurb and although first choice is keeping the original gelcoat, we may need to move to a two part paint approach with Alexseal the current technology choice. We are having a hard time understanding what the "official" color is of the GB as all we see is "Grand Banks Beige.... ours looks more white... but... will post on a new thread dedicated to that question! Thanks all for being what looks like an active, friendly forum
Welcome. We are from CT, also former sailors, and live most of the summer in and around the sound.
backinblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome aboard TF. You'll fit right in!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: W. Babylon NY
Vessel Name: Shellerina
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Welcome to the forum.
We are also fairly new Long Island members of the forum, having picked up our 2000 Mainship 390 last July. Brough it from E. Greenwich RI to Lindenhurst via Greenport. In past seasons we made at least 1 long weekend to Oakdale Yacht every season before Covid hit, in our Chaparral express cruiser. Moved to the trawler in hopes of pushing off on The Great Loop this May, if it can be done healthily! Home port is Lindenhurst.
Ray & Shelly
www.shellerina.com
Capt Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #29

City: Port Clinton
Welcome aboard! We also are former sailors for 40 + years! We will be starting our second summer with our 1976 32 ft. Grand Banks - HiHo. By spring we will have completed a major refit after two long winters. We love the boat and looking forward to distant travels!

JoAnne & Steve
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #30

City: Searchmont
Vessel Name: Catnip
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Welcome, Patience! I too am new to a GB 32, this one a 1973. I have however known this vessel a long time as I had worked on it when it was in the charter fleet in the North Channel. I usually match gelcoats myself when doing repairs and usually am able to make the repair invisible. The matched gelcoat in a previous post is incredibly expensive and may indeed be original in colour but likely won't match any particular boat as the UV and oxidation usually damage original pigments over time. Gelcoat for small repairs, paint for large ones is the general refurbishing rule.

Buffing and waxing will bring back my hull finish. However, the coachroof etc. will be getting a paint job, mainly because various parts have previously been painted and since faded (likely one part paints).
Trawler Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 01:44 PM   #31

City: Barcelona
Vessel Name: Verdblau
Vessel Model: Blue Ocean 45/47
AWLGRIP versus Gelcoat

We have paint ourself a sail boat, our deck 35' about 45 years ago with Awlgrip
When we sold the boat after 10 years the paint was still good.
We paint, this time not us, the shipyard, our trawler Verdblau with Awlgrip 25 years ago. We have just paint it now again with Awlgrip. (It was not very necessary, but we do it) It looks brand new now.
The Awlgrip it is a polyurethane aliphatic 2 components. with a previous primer. Preparation surfaces are very important.
Shipyards today prefers to use good paints because of better application and more strength and flexibility, also easy to polish and maintain.
Gelcoat it is more difficult to apply. Do not close as easy as the Awlgrip.
Good luck !!
armando is offline   Reply With Quote