One more checks on my bucket list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfcarbonneau

Hi everybody and thank you in advance for your help,

I am considering buying a 40’ to 45’ power boat and keep it on Florida’s west coast anywhere between Tampa and Marco Island. I am somewhat new to boating; I have owned an 18 feet Four Winns and a 21 feet BOMBARDIER Sea Doo powerboat but nothing close to a 45 feet boat. Here are my plan and goals…

- I want a used two or three staterooms boat that is stable in rough seas, will cruise with efficient fuel consumption and can bring us to New Orleans, the Keys, or the Bahamas. I am thinking about a well maintained trawler.

- I live in New England and would like to find a good slip and live on my boat from December 1st to April 30th. Ideally, I would prefer to get the boat out of the water during the summer months and put it back in the fall when I am ready to come down south.

Here are my questions:

- Is a Trawler a good option?

- What should I expect as boat slip costs if I live aboard 4 to 5 months a year?

- I am planning on buying a well maintained used boat (2000-2006) and I expect to spend no more than 20 to 25 thousand a year in slip cost and maintenance fees, is it realistic?

- Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

JF

Hi everybody and thank you in advance for your help,

Here are my questions:

- Is a Trawler a good option?

- What should I expect as boat slip costs if I live aboard 4 to 5 months a year?

- I am planning on buying a well maintained used boat (2000-2006) and I expect to spend no more than 20 to 25 thousand a year in slip cost and maintenance fees, is it realistic?

- Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

JF
Hi JF,

Welcome to the forum!

To your questions:

Trawlers are comfortable boats to live on. Whether they will travel at the speed you desire or the sea conditions you plan to encounter, at the economy you need will largely depend on the boat you select and you specific requirements ( you have been pretty general so far).

I keep my 45' trawler near Fort Myers and expect to spend about $500 per month on dockage and electricity. I consider this on the low side for a nice marina. You can certainly pay more including an additional charge if you live aboard.

A budget of $25K could certainly work with a squared away boat. Some boats are needy, meaning that annual maintenance costs seem to be much higher. Also, cost can be hugely effected by quality of build, amount of previous use, how much maintenance was neglected, and whether there have been system upgrades. For a vessel of that age, you can expect some items will need to be replaced. Simple things like water heaters and refrigerators don't last forever. Owning a live aboard can be like a home in that you hope everything will last a long time, but you know everything breaks eventually and needs to be repaired or replaced.

Price of your boat often effects carrying costs. Generally the less you spend at purchase on a used boat, the more you get to spend later on maintenance and upgrades.

Ted

Welcome from a former New Hampster.

Do you have a budget range for the purchase? I think your annual cost number is reasonable as long as you have a well cared for boat, but remember that every boat delivers the occasional surprise.

Welcome from the area you want to be in

Welcome from another relocated NH native. I'll echo what others have already said. I think $25k will easily cover the cost of the annual costs, assuming no major surprises. As to whether a trawler is the right boat, that really comes down to the type of boating you want to do, speed and fuel costs. It has been perfect for us, but I also have friends in similar size boats who would go crazy traveling at our average of a leisurely 8 knts. Then again, they also complain every time they fill the fuel tank, and the prefer the inside of our boat in crappy weather and for meals (no cave here like in a lot of boats).

BTW, did you by chance attend EHS in NH? Asking based on your screen name.

Thank you all, highly appreciated!

Thank you all,

twistedtree, I am planning on spending between 150k and 200k for a used trawler. Right now I am interested in the 39' or larger Mainship brand.

Carolena, I didn't go to school in NH. I am originally from Montreal, Canada but I moved to the US 20 years ago.

Thank you all again for your help!

Jean-Francois

Your price point for the age and size Mainship is certainly in the right ballpark. I would be interested in how you narrowed it down to this. Have you been out on them?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom