old coastie wants to sail again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i was in the coast guard from 1982 to 1986 and really enjoyed being on the water if it wasnt for a real pain in the arse e6 and e7 i would have done my 20 and retired so here i am 30 years latter in land locked utah and stumbed upon yachts while wishing i had won a lottery that had hit several hundreds of millions so i could get a boat and hit the water.. i origianlly wanted a real big yacht then looked at cruzing the great loop then i discoverd trawlers like nordhaven and fleming etc.. i like the ability to crusie on the coast and also to cross the oceans to europe and the south pasific. so if i ever get lucky ill be here posting lots of pics but in the mean time ill just drool over the lucky others who have fun doing it

Welcome aboard! Good luck in your hunt for a boat.

Sometimes there are boat owners on long cruises that will take others sharing in the expenses. It's somewhat common in the inland passage to Alaska. Maybe on the East Coast loop, too.
I was in the USN in Vietnam. What ended the fun for me was too much of that stuff you find in the bottom of a chicken cage.

Last edited:
Welcome! It's good to read your dreams and it'll be fun to watch you realize them. Keep us posted, ask questions, review Boat Search 101 and read enough to learn how to recognize the losers and those that'll cost a lot of time and money to cruise confidently. Do you plan on changing your location? If so, West Coast? It's good to be close to your boat, wherever it is. Good luck!

Hi T-to-T, and welcome from another in Utah.

We started cruising with smaller (22 and 26) towable boats, eventually including many summers on the coast of BC and SE Alaska. Three years ago graduated to a 37 Nordic Tug. All good. The smaller boats are very affordable, and can be kept here at home when not out cruising.

Welcome! Start where you can.

Greg.
[emoji106] if you long to get out on the water there are lots of ways to do it other that winning the lottery.
Just develop a plan that works for your budget and start doing it. Dont get caught up in thinking you need a mega yacht to enjoy it and have fun. Actually there may be an inverse relationship at some point that the smaller the greater the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment of doing it yourself and your way.
After all anyone can buy a boat and hire everything it just takes money. There is no guarantee that equates to real enjoyment!
Welcome aboard TF... you are off to a good start!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom