Now I have gone and done it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also would consider LiFePO4 Batteries, with the Victron Multiplus inverter. You might do an inventory of what runs off AC power, and what the voltage (and in some cases phase) is.

A true gel cell needs different charging profile than a flooded lead acid battery. If you use over 14.4 volts (Max); over voltage will damage the battery.. I kept charging when I used the gel at 14.1 volts. A gel cell is different than an AGM battery and the gel cell is less tolerant of over voltage.

You might consider a "night/ backup generator." Such as a Northern Lights 8 KW. But this depends on what is 110/220 single phase 60 hz on the boat vs what is 208/3 phase. It may be possible to get a 208 V 3 phase Northern Lights or similar smaller generator. Also depending on what appliances you have, you may just use single phase power.

I like to run a large alternator off the generator to charge the batteries. What is the DC voltage on the boat. Many of these larger boats will have other than 12 volts. (Some have 24 or 32 volts.)

Looking forward to your tales.

So everything is 12VDC that isn't AC. AC is all over the place, but the only think that looks like is pure 3 Phase is the anchor winch, everything alse is 2 legs of the 3 phase so 208VAC. Well there is a 3 phase fuel transfer pump, but there is also a 120VAC fuel transfer pump, and a friggen hand transfer pump. So 6 valves just in fuel transfer pumps

On owning a boat, be careful what you wish for

A number of comments have so far been "That's quite a boat" as in, " Boy is that a large boat for a first boat!" Boats are both an asset and an active liability. Boats need constant maintenance and care and feeding. You've got oxidization in various forms that eat your boat. Birds and things in the water that either **** on your boat or latch on to your boat for a home. The boat owner is in a hostile enviroment.

The larger the boat the larger the problems. You've mentioned batteries and electrical issues as being a concern.
Pacific Yacht Systems https://www.pysystems.ca/

and Bluesea Systems https://www.bluesea.com/

Along with Nigel Calders Bible, Boatowners-Mechanical-Electrical-Manual

are all great resources and should get you off to a great start.

If you have a generator, strong alternator on the main engine, that’s good. Now add some solar panels if possible.
One cannot have too many batteries. Solar panels are nice but, IMO not necessary. Cant use them in the dark of night. You can use them to supplement the other methods of charging the batteries.
Enough panels to provide a ‘float’ for when you are away from the boat.
IMO, best to rely on the generator and ME alternator. Solar panels are an extra.
You need an inverter realizing you need to guess at the size. No one takes the time to add up all the amps you will need at any given time. We are not a bunch of hippies trying to live off the grid.We are trying to live.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom